Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which routers/switches for CCNA?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Looking for some guidence on what to be looking for - will be starting the ICND1/ICND2 in the next week having just finished Network +. I know there are simulators but would rather get hands on. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ConfusedLepton

The equipment is quite expensive and IMO not worth it if you're only going to use it for certification - especially if you're only starting out. I wouldn't use a simulator either - never felt as though I could trust them - but emulators (such as dynamips) are very good. Dynamips lets you load actual Cisco images so you're talking to the real thing. You can link them up and route and switch. You'll need quite a powerful PC (depending on how many images you want to run) but this provides a very good and cheap way of playing with real IOS. Alternatively you can book some time on a rack. There are loads of companies out there doing this at the moment so prices are quite competitive. Here you'll be using real routers and switches, just they'll be located half way around the world.

The only thing you miss out on by doing either of these options is that you're not actually stripping CAT5, making your own cables and physically setting up the boxes. You're not compromising yourself by not buying the hardware. If you really want to buy the hardware, ebay is your best bet, but I'd highly recommend you book a few hours on a rack before you purchase hardware, just so you see what you're paying all that money for.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Cheers for that, will investigate the Dynamips software - I did have a look around on adverts etc and the kit is expensive enough. Will look into getting some server time as well as you suggested. As for the making up cables, I have that done as part of the network+ :)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You will want some switches, if you can get your hands on two 2950's it should suit most of your needs for the CCNA. If you choose to move onto the CCNP you would need to acquire two 3550's or above for Layer 3 features.

For everything else you need a lan card with 2-4 ports and a hardware emulator called GNS3. Its free, but you will need to source the IOS router images yourself.

You can't emulate most ASICs functions so that's why you should really get a hold of actual switches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

If you look around you will find some good bargains on refurbished routers. I bought a complete setup for ccna of donedeal. Some chap bought all the stuff (including books) and then sold it all as soon as he passed the exams. I bought it off him and then pretty much broke even when I sold it on again. Keep an eyeout on ebay and donedeal, craigslist etc and you'll find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lanswitcher

It really don't matter until you get to CCNP level, then you have to master private VLAN's and other things.

At CCNA level, you can have 29xx type switches and 25xx or 26xx routers.

PacketTracer, which you can hunt for online, is actually very good teaching and learning tool and "good enough" for CCNA. Of course, you should get GNS3 really and find some IOS images someone willing to share with you.

Looking for some guidence on what to be looking for - will be starting the ICND1/ICND2 in the next week having just finished Network +. I know there are simulators but would rather get hands on. thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement