Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad History Conversion

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I have an Honours Science degree specializing in Comp Sci. I have been working in IT for last ten years and I've been thinking about completely changing for a while now. I love history and it was my favourite subject at school and I still have a strong interest in it. I'd like to do a post-grad in History as I already have a degree and don’t really want to do another undergrad degree. I see U.C.C has a post grad conversion course for people wanting to study history. Is there anything like this in Dublin or anywhere else or this my only option? Its surprising to me that there loads of IT post-grad courses available for people coming from all different degrees but not the other way around for History. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 templar2012

Anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KingKazama

Hey templar, the one I know of is in NUI Maynooth. It's a H.dip in Irish History (one year) which a lot of people use as a conversion course and then go on to further historical studies. I have just completed the course and found it very worthwhile. My BA included history but others in the class hadn't studied history in years and used it as a conversion course. Feel free to pm me if you need more info! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

If you're doing it with a view to getting a history or academia-related job, have someone douse you with cold water. Repeat as necessary until the inclination subsides.

Amtmann wrote: »
    If you're doing it with a view to getting a history or academia-related job, have someone douse you with cold water. Repeat as necessary until the inclination subsides.

In the long-term possibly. Why is that impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

UCD offers a Graduate Diploma in History, with the option to convert it to an MA halfway through the year if you work hard enough. http://www.ucd.ie/historyarchives/graduateprogrammes/graduatediplomainhistory/

• Advertisement

kkumk wrote: »
    UCD offers a Graduate Diploma in History, with the option to convert it to an MA halfway through the year if you work hard enough. http://www.ucd.ie/historyarchives/graduateprogrammes/graduatediplomainhistory/

Ok thanks, I contacted their history dept yesterday and they never mentioned this course! Don't suppose any of these conversion post-grads could be done part-time or are they all full-time?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Ok thanks, I contacted their history dept yesterday and they never mentioned this course! Don't suppose any of these conversion post-grads could be done part-time or are they all full-time?

Were you talking to the guy? He's new, he might not have known about it :)

And as far as the UCD Fee's website says, it can be done part-time.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/2012/

However bear in mind the majority of classes will still be during the day, you'll just take less and might only be in once or twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

In the long-term possibly. Why is that impossible?

Most Arts/Humanities based academic jobs are massively oversubscribed for the amount of work that is actually available in the area. In all likelihood you could easily have several hundred people going for one job.

Advertisement