Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping a recurring Credit Card Payment

Options
  • 09-05-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been trying to stop a recurring credit card payment by contacting the company and asking them to stop charging me - nothing dodgy, just a membership for my daughter on a web game - but they don't seem able to do so as the account has been shutdown but the payments are still being made.

What are the implications of me requesting the bank to stop the payments? Will it affect my credit rating?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

No it wont affect your credit rating. Cut the card up and report it's loss to Bank of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi delos,

Thanks for your question. There are no implications and it won't affect your credit rating. In order for us to stop the payments we need a copy of a letter/email sent to the company requesting the cancellation. Please send this, along with your credit card number on a cover letter outlining the reason for the request, to: Bank of Ireland, Chargebacks Department, PO Box 1102, Dublin 2.

You can find more information on our FAQ's but if you have any other queries please ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi cookie1977,

We wouldn't advise customers to report their card lost for this reason as it may not cancel the subscription/direct debit. Following the above process will ensure the payments are stopped and that subsequent transactions can be charged back.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Hi cookie1977,

I understand where you're coming from but there's no guarantee that will work even as a last resort. A subscription charge may still be charged to the account even after it is cancelled as lost or stolen.
    In order for us to stop the payments we need a copy of a letter/email sent to the company requesting the cancellation. Please send this, along with your credit card number on a cover letter outlining the reason for the request, to: Bank of Ireland, Chargebacks Department, PO Box 1102, Dublin 2.

This is the only way to ensure that the recurring transaction can be stopped with any certainty.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't actually have the card number as I destroyed the card when I got the replacement. I'm assuming the account number and proof of when and how much was charged should be enough.

No problem delos,

And yes, your credit card account number and details of the payment should be sufficient. Remember to include a copy of the cancellation request sent to the company.

If you need anything else let me know.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Advertisement