Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on beaches in Ireland

Options
  • 09-05-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on camping on a beach in Ireland.

There is a few of us looking to go camping, preferrably on a beach, without too much of a drive from Dublin. Normally we camp each June bank holiday in castlegregory but wanting a avoid such a long drive we are looking for something closer to home.

We don't need a campsite, literally a space that would hold a few tents. We never had to pay in Castlegregory, we just turned up and camped and I was wondering if there was anything similar closer to Dublin. One suggestion was in Wicklow as there are a lot of beaches but all I have been able to find so far are registered camp sites which are more suited to families.

Anyone got any good suggestions? Something remote enough but walking distance or a short drive to the shops, as a I mentioned a beach would be the choice and perhaps with some local attractions (for example Castlegregory has Conor's Pass nearby) - I don't ask for much do I?! ;)

Any ideas welcome!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If you are looking for a camp site set up, there is a few from Silver Strand to Brittas bay.

if you don't want to pay there is a beach called Mahar Mhor(sp) that has lots of spots for camping and should be no trouble there as long as you are not too loud and clean up after yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In case you haven't done it before camping on sand sucks balls. When dry it's not too bad but sand will go everywhere in the wind but wet sand is a messy nightmare. So stay on grass if possible. If you do camp on the beach also make a sensible note of the high tide mark :)

Advertisement