Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Garmin please?

• 09-05-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Sorry to post another Garmin thread but I have finally decided to invest and can't make up my mind which one to go for.:confused: Up to now I have been using a bog standard stop watch nut want to get something that has greater functionality. I have narrowed it down to the 210, 410 and 405CX I think. What do you guys think? Which would be better. I am happy to spend a little extra if it is going to be worth it. I don't want anything too bulky.

I have looked through the other Garmin threads but am still at a loss as to which one to go for so I would be grateful for your insight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

The 410 and the 405CX are more or less the exact same. Iv'e the 405CX, no problems with it. It's taken a good few knocks and bumps and even took a spin in the washing machine and its still going strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

405CX is probably best value for money. the 410 is much more expensive than the other two. The 210 "Doesn’t allow the user to change data fields" which is a big con if you ask me. Also 405 better waterproof. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/12/garmin-forerunner-210-in-depth-review.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Before you decide, or ask for advice, you should be clear what you want the watch for ?

Do you want it for running only, or also for cycling ?
    Do you need it to be fully water-proof ?

Do you need it for simple functions like tracking your pace/distance/HR or do you want to do interval training or more complicated training ?

I dont know the exact differences between the 405Cx and the 410, but the 210 is smaller with less features.

someone mentioned that the 410 is much more expensive than the 405Cx. currently they are almost the same price on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Thanks for the input. Looks like the 405CX may be the winner. Thanks for the review of the 210 rom, its fairly indepth. The 210 looks to be a little neater but I think I would prefer greater functionality! I think im afraid ill make the wrong decision :-(

Hey Huskerdu,
    I will use it mainly for running but would like the option of using it on the bike too. I think they are all compatible with this. Also I would probably go for one with greater training options rather than end up regretting it later on.
    Can anyone say how much bigger the 405/410 is in comparison with 210? I don't want it to look like I stuck a satellite on my wrist!
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

sibeen99 wrote: »
    Can anyone say how much bigger the 405/410 is in comparison with 210? I don't want it to look like I stuck a satellite on my wrist!
    Thanks again!
    A picture paints a thousand words:

IMG_8798_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
    IMG_8793_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Top picture, the 405 and 410 are 2nd and 3rd from the left. Bottom picture they are 2nd and 3rd from the right. Bigger than a standard watch (and the 210), but honestly, you should be more concerned about what it does than what it looks like. These pictures are from DC Rainmaker's website, which should be the first port of call for anyone looking for GPS training watch reviews. Photos here of the 210 stacked against the 405.

Thanks Krusty, not much in it size wise really and while I know I should be more concerned with functionality I am but a mere girl and if it can look good at the same time it's a bonus. For this reason I would be swayed towards the 405CX. Or would the 410 be the better buy? Aghhhhh, this is not an easy decision!

Thanks Krusty, not much in it size wise really and while I know I should be more concerned with functionality I am but a mere girl and if it can look good at the same time it's a bonus. For this reason I would be swayed towards the 405CX. Or would the 410 be the better buy? Aghhhhh, this is not an easy decision!

410 when the price is so similar I'd say

I am but a mere girl
    Ahh, you're a girl. That changes things. You should probably go to a shop and try out the various watches, just to make sure they're a good fit, particularly if you have a narrow wrist. My OH uses a 405 and has no problems, but your mileage may differ. The 410 has two extra straps included in the box (including a soft strap) which should offer better fit opportunities.

Thanks again guys. Looks like it could be the 410 so but I will take Krustys advice and try some on first.

Phew, this is hard work :-)

• Advertisement

I am a girl and have a smallish wrist.

My 305 is a bit uncomfortable. I bought the soft strap and I often wear a wrist band underneath is to stop is rubbing on my wrist bone.

huskerdu wrote: »
    I am a girl and have a smallish wrist.

My 305 is a bit uncomfortable. I bought the soft strap and I often wear a wrist band underneath is to stop is rubbing on my wrist bone.

Just had a look at the 305 and I'm not surprised its uncomfortable! Its really big! While I would be slightly price conscious I would rather pay out now for something that Ill still be happy to use in a few years and not want to upgrade. I think Ill just have to go and try some on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm here to throw a spanner in the works...

I'm male but have slim wrists. I tried the 405cx on for size & it annoyed me, due to the solid shape of the watch & start of the wristband.

Ended up going for the Timex Run Trainer, bought from US.
    Its still chunky enough in comparison to the 210, but doesn't have the annoying bezel of the Garmin 405/410.

Anyway, the spanner I'll throw in is the new Timex Marathon Trainer which is a slimline gps watch, but doesn't (officially) have downloadable capabilities.
    At the price range its set, it has limited configurability, but check it out on DC Rainmaker to see if it might be suitable for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

I bought the 410 from amazon recently. cost delivered approx 210 euro (with the heart rate monitor). If you're marathon training I would definetly reccomend the HR monitor version especially as most of your marathon training should be related to keeping your heart in the correct training zone.

All in all very happy with my purchase. Love playing around with the garmin connect and comparing runs etc. Good luck with the marathon.
    J

Edit: just read your OP and realised that you never mentioned marathon training.

Thanks Jasonw,

I have still to make up my mind. I tried a friends 610 last week but I felt it was really big so I'm waiting to try a 410 another friend has. I will def be getting the HRM even though no marathon training yet ;). The 410 seems to be what I'm looking for if only it was a little smaller :(

I vaguely considered the 110 just for the size but I think I may regret it down the line. I really just want the watch now so wish I could make up my mind.

Thanks again for the input and good luck with your own training!

Thanks Jasonw,

I have still to make up my mind. I tried a friends 610 last week but I felt it was really big so I'm waiting to try a 410 another friend has. I will def be getting the HRM even though no marathon training yet ;). The 410 seems to be what I'm looking for if only it was a little smaller :(

I vaguely considered the 110 just for the size but I think I may regret it down the line. I really just want the watch now so wish I could make up my mind.

If you think the 610 is big then you ain't gonna get much smaller than that tbh.

Thanks Jasonw,

you're only going to be wearing this for running / training. it's not a fashion watch. I have the old 305 and I don't notice wearing it.

rom wrote: »
    If you think the 610 is big then you ain't gonna get much smaller than that tbh.

Thanks rom, I had thought this may be the case!

Glasso, I know its only for running but my wrists are really small and I don't want something that is going to annoy me.

Any other girlies out there, what do you use?

Well, you could go back to the 210, which is smaller. There is just some functionality that will not be available to you. So it's a case of choosing form or function. The alternative is to get a soft strap and see how it fits (I presume the 610 you tried on had the hard strap?).

Thanks rom, I had thought this may be the case!

Glasso, I know its only for running but my wrists are really small and I don't want something that is going to annoy me.

Any other girlies out there, what do you use?

410 then as not much in size really to 210. 410 is 140 sterling with HRM and free delivery at the moment on amazon. good price indeed.

• Advertisement

Most of the garmins are big. I got small wrists also so I got the velcro strap fro the 305 when I had one. It made a big difference as the other one just digged into bone. I'd go to a shop if I were you and try a few of them on.

Thanks again guys.

Yeah it was the hard strap on the 610 I tried Krusty so maybe the soft strap as you and rom suggest is the way to go. Unfortunately there is no shop locally to try them out so I'm trying to find people that have them to let me try them!

Thanks glasso, I think I will go ahead and order the 410. Was looking at it on handtec but I'll check out amazon too.

The 410 comes with a soft strap in the box (I believe) so may be the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

How come no one here has considered the 600 series Garmin, the successor to the 410?

Does it have some flaw Im not aware of which is turning folks off?

How come no one here has considered the 600 series Garmin, the successor to the 410?

Nope. Supposed to be great, if it's within budget. I have the 910, which is in similar price bracket, and love the fact that it doesn't have any touch-screen or bezel features. It's all hard buttons, which is great, but it's a big beasty!

It is very overpriced. I have the 610. Paid 250 Euro with HRM. It's in a shop locally and for 440 Euro. One missing feature is that it does not support breadcrumb trails which would be nice for when I got off-road. But the 910 is a tad ugly for me. I like touch screen. Vibrate on the newer watches. Now I don't know if the 410/405 supports it but its great to tell you of alerts like HR etc when listening to music. Great watch but threads like this are normally people buying their first watch and paying 250+ at least is overkill for most people.

Ordered myself a 610 - from the States and thus saved a fortune - as I like a number of the new features it has, and just cos I want one :)

I have a 18 month old 405cx with HRM and ANT Stick which will be getting sold in a week or two in that case - if anyone wanted to buy it second hand. Works just fine, Im just a sucker for a new model of these things :)

Garmin gone -sorry

Ordered myself a 610 - from the States and thus saved a fortune - as I like a number of the new features it has, and just cos I want one :)

I've love one, for exactly the reasons you outline, but really, really can't justify the cost at the moment.

I predict I'll have a bit of disposable income in September.....

• Advertisement

Cost was definitely the biggest reason I didn't even consider the 610. You have to draw the line somewhere :(

Advertisement