Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Garmin please?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Nope. Supposed to be great, if it's within budget. I have the 910, which is in similar price bracket, and love the fact that it doesn't have any touch-screen or bezel features. It's all hard buttons, which is great, but it's a big beasty!
    Would you recommend the 910 Krusty? I was impressed by DCRainmaker's review but I seem to remember you (or maybe someone else) had a few issues with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

gnu wrote: »
    Nope. Supposed to be great, if it's within budget. I have the 910, which is in similar price bracket, and love the fact that it doesn't have any touch-screen or bezel features. It's all hard buttons, which is great, but it's a big beasty!
    Would you recommend the 910 Krusty? I was impressed by DCRainmaker's review but I seem to remember you (or maybe someone else) had a few issues with it?
    I still have a few issues with it, but love it just the same. Massive improvement on the 405. It's an expensive piece of kit though, so you'd want to make sure that you'd use all of that functionality (cycle, swim etc) for it to be a worthwhile investment.

I still have a few issues with it, but love it just the same. Massive improvement on the 405. It's an expensive piece of kit though, so you'd want to make sure that you'd use all of that functionality (cycle, swim etc) for it to be a worthwhile investment.
    Yeah, that's exactly what's putting me off. There's no way I can justify the cost as I've no plans to train for a tri any time soon. It would be a cool toy rather than a useful training aid for the small bit of swimming and biking I do. And I'm mananging with my Xperia Active and apps for the running. Need to get an Ant+ chest strap for to go with the phone though, it doesn't recognise the strap from my Lidl HRM. It's nice to know it's good though, just in case someone insists on buying me an expensive pressie. :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Yeah, that's exactly what's putting me off. There's no way I can justify the cost as I've no plans to train for a tri any time soon. It would be a cool toy rather than a useful training aid for the small bit of swimming and biking I do. And I'm mananging with my Xperia Active and apps for the running. Need to get an Ant+ chest strap for to go with the phone though, it doesn't recognise the strap from my Lidl HRM. It's nice to know it's good though, just in case someone insists on buying me an expensive pressie. :D.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78834279&postcount=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In my case it was a 40th birthday pressie, so thankfully I didn't have to worry too much about whether I'd use it for swimming and cycling (which I'm hoping to do more and more). The older model (310xt) should be significantly cheaper and offers much of what the 910 can do, with some exceptions (vibration, indoor swim, barometric altimeter (crap)), though it's slightly bigger and heavier. And it's orange. :)

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    What are you trying to do to me Rom?! ;) It really wouldn't take much to talk me into this! That's interesting though - I haven't had any wibbles like that on my phone using Sportstracker and Cardiotrainer. Have Runkeeper but it annoyed me and haven't gone back to it yet. On my old Nokia, Sportstracker lost the signal occasionally and underestimated my run but it hasn't happened on the android (yet!).
    In my case it was a 40th birthday pressie, so thankfully I didn't have to worry too much about whether I'd use it for swimming and cycling (which I'm hoping to do more and more). The older model (310xt) should be significantly cheaper and offers much of what the 910 can do, with some exceptions (vibration, indoor swim, barometric altimeter (crap)), though it's slightly bigger and heavier. And it's orange. :)
    Nice pressie! Damn, I could have done the same for my 40th but I couldn't think of anything I wanted, same for Christmas so I reckon I might be due a treat! I think the vibration sounds really handy. Bigger and heavier not ideal as I've small wrists but I'm sure it'd be fine. Pity about the barometric altimeter - I thought that sounded cool too. What's the battery performance like? I could live with orange but can't talk myself into spending a fair bit on the 310xt when I could spend a bit more and get extra features. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm putting it all on hold for a while, would be great if it got cheaper while I I make up my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

What are you trying to do to me Rom?! ;) It really wouldn't take much to talk me into this! That's interesting though - I haven't had any wibbles like that on my phone using Sportstracker and Cardiotrainer. Have Runkeeper but it annoyed me and haven't gone back to it yet. On my old Nokia, Sportstracker lost the signal occasionally and underestimated my run but it hasn't happened on the android (yet!).

Nice pressie! Damn, I could have done the same for my 40th but I couldn't think of anything I wanted, same for Christmas so I reckon I might be due a treat! I think the vibration sounds really handy. Bigger and heavier not ideal as I've small wrists but I'm sure it'd be fine. Pity about the barometric altimeter - I thought that sounded cool too. What's the battery performance like? I could live with orange but can't talk myself into spending a fair bit on the 310xt when I could spend a bit more and get extra features. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm putting it all on hold for a while, would be great if it got cheaper while I I make up my mind!

You'll give in eventually. Using a phone is a gateway drug, soon you will want more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I know you're asking about Garmin but I'll throw a spanner in the works.

Polar RCX 5 or RCX 3 are great watches with bundle options on the GPS, stride sensors, bike sensors and so on. Well worth having a look. I've the RCX5 for the past year and use it as a daily watch and training computer.

Trouble free HRM with a 2 year warranty good online training program / diary.

rom wrote: »
    You'll give in eventually. Using a phone is a gateway drug, soon you will want more :)
    I'll consider myself warned! :D

Advertisement