Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad hair cut. What can I do? :(

• 09-05-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I got my hair cut yesterday, I always go to the same person in the same salon because I trust her and I have always been really happy with the results.

So I went in yesterday to get my base colour done, balayage and a cut. The colour is fine, however she absolutely butchered the cut. The problem is, I didn't notice until I got home and now I am really unhappy about it.

I always have had fairly thick hair, but it appears she thinned it all out? I didn't ask her to do this, she didn't ask me either. I feel like i'm missing half a head of hair. I'm really unhappy about it. I thought I might be able to fix it myself and that maybe it was just the way she styled it yesterday, but I can't seem to do anything with it.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't know if I should complain or not because it's been done now, I don't really see what they could do for me. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Complain for sure. Although they can't do anything about the cut. A bad cut should start to grow out in 4/6 weeks. I would complain though but you need to do it sooner rather than later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Have you actually washed it and styled it yourself since? I usually don't like my hair when it's blowdried by the hairdresser after getting it cut, I prefer it when I've washed it and styled it in my normal way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I've tried to style it but I haven't washed it yet. I usually have long hair with long layers, but it's like she thinned it all and now I have really short layers on top that I can't do anything with. It's like a mullet :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Léan wrote: »
    I've tried to style it but I haven't washed it yet. I usually have long hair with long layers, but it's like she thinned it all and now I have really short layers on top that I can't do anything with. It's like a mullet :|

I feel your pain I have super thick hair so thick that sometimes hairdressers complain when they are blow drying it! I got hair cut probably 5 weeks ago again I didn't specify the cut and asked for a trim! I feel that half my hair is now gone! I got my friend to look at my hair as she is a hairdresser and said that the layers are cut too short and that the hairdresser must of used thinning scissors. She told me not to get my hair cut for 12 weeks! She thas assured me that it will be grand by august!(I am goung to a be bridesmaid then so am very conscious of my hair) Now I am 5 weeks into it and the layers are still too short! When i tie it up it is a tiny bun and hair is falling down! I bet it's not that bad as I know things always seem worse in my head! My advice avoid that hairdressers!! I also found the layers looked better after a professional blow dry (which I couldnt afford once a week)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Wash it your self to see how it is. Definately complain. The lenght of layers are usually discussed before a cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I had an identical situation to yours a couple of weeks ago. I've really thick hair and I like it that way, and the hairdresser just completely thinned it out, and cut these really weird, ultra short layers in to the crown which I did not ask for:mad: I asked for a trim and left with only half my hair left intact! Cried so much when I got home:o It was disgustingly thin and mullet-like!

I started using Aussie volumising shampoo and conditioner and it's helped a lot. I also use Mane n' Tail leave in conditioner, which also works as a heat protectant. My hair has grown out a bit, and the products I use really help to give it the body it's still lacking. I also don't straighten the length, I just tidy up the layers a bit and flatten the weird short ones so the don't stand up and can't be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

First of all, I am really sorry. The same thing happened to me last September and I was so sad and annoyed by it.

I have (well had) long, thick and voluminous hair, which I love. I asked the hairdresser for long layers with movement, which is my long-time haircut with changing fringe styles. He thinned my hair so much that when I put my hair up in a pony tail, the thickness of it was 1/10 of what it used to be.

Anyway, for the advice: Unfortunately, there is no miracle solution to get your hair back. The best thing to do is to promote hair growth by good care. The thing that helped me the most was avoiding heat. I used to straighten or curl my hair almost all the time. After the disastrous cut, I stopped that almost completely (limited it to 1-2 times a month) and that was the most helpful of all. Secondly, applying hot oil as a weekly treatment worked wonders (heat your choice of oil in the microwave for 20 secs, apply, wait for at least 1 hour, longer the better, sometimes I wait overnight, wash and condition as usual). I used extra virgin olive oil for a long time, which is great. But I started to use coconut oil recently and it is absolutely THE BEST. I heard almond oil is very good too. I also used deep conditioning mask once a week as well. The other thing was to wash my hair twice a week. It sounds gross at first but I got used to it with time and it minimises moisture loss. I don't comb/brush my hair between washes to minimise breakage. After all that conditioning, I don't need to anyway.

I didn't have any haircuts since then but I am planning one very soon. My hair is STILL not as thick but it is much much better. It would have been even better if I hadn't decided to bleach the hell out of it and dip dye! In short, you just have to take really good care of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Same thing happened to me recently. I had been working on growing my hair out because I always really wanted long hair but this random "stylist" I visited just butchered it and gave me weird short layers in with my long ones and it didn't make any sense. I was so upset I cried! Anyway, went back to my usual stylist and the only way we could make it look decent was cut it all up to where she had the shortest layers (underneath my chin). Thankfully it looks good now but I'm really bummed out that I lost so many inches of hair and it will take forever to grow out. I take Biotin every day to help hair growth/strength. I think it works well for me, usually takes 3 months to kick in and I have been taking it since January.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I'm feeling the short layers horror!

I currently look like I'm rocking two different hair cuts...

I've ridiculously thick hair so it will grow out very fast but if the wind blows my hair the wrong way i'm left with the short layers at the front and a shoulder length scraggle at the back. I'm not a big fan of mullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Feeling your pain on the bad haircut. I had long hair (about 3 inches below my bra strap) and a side fridge for years. I got fed up with the side fringe and decided I wanted a full fringe. My own hairdresser wouldn't give me a full fringe as she said it would not suit the shape of my face, so unable to take her advice, being as stubborn as I am, I went to another hair dresser in town. I asked for a colour, a trim and a full fringe, a curly blowdry with a lot of volume. Leaving the salon, my fringe was uneven, my hair was to my chin and there was so much product in it, it looked like I could season a wok.

I started to cry, and the hairdresser told me that my hair only looked so short because it was the way it was styled and it was longer than it looked. I went home, washed my hair, dried it and it was so short I could barely tie it back.

Its been 15 months since the traumatic haircut and I won't let anybody near my hair with a scissors since. It really needs a trim but I couldn't bear it.

• Advertisement

Ugh what is it with hairdressers and thick hair? My hair is also quick thick and I was growing out an A-line bob, so it was all more or less the same length except for a longer bit at the front. I liked it like that, it was sometimes a little heavy and flat, but it looked really thick and healthy. I went to a new hairdresser and she told me it didn't suit the shape of my face at all and that I needed layers. I wasn't too happy about it but I let her do it and now it looks like I have the 'Rachel' from the 90's! Stupid boxy layers that frame my face (I HATE that) and my hair is so thinned out that it gets greasy really fast and I need to wash it every day. What is it with hairdressers thinking thick hair needs to be thinned out? I don't WANT thin hair and I especially don't want thick layers on the top with thin wispy bits underneath that never sit right. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ugh what is it with hairdressers and thick hair? My hair is also quick thick and I was growing out an A-line bob, so it was all more or less the same length except for a longer bit at the front. I liked it like that, it was sometimes a little heavy and flat, but it looked really thick and healthy. I went to a new hairdresser and she told me it didn't suit the shape of my face at all and that I needed layers. I wasn't too happy about it but I let her do it and now it looks like I have the 'Rachel' from the 90's! Stupid boxy layers that frame my face (I HATE that) and my hair is so thinned out that it gets greasy really fast and I need to wash it every day. What is it with hairdressers thinking thick hair needs to be thinned out? I don't WANT thin hair and I especially don't want thick layers on the top with thin wispy bits underneath that never sit right. :mad:

Shawn Full Tweet you are spot on! Maybe thinned out hair must be some sort of trend that I am not aware of! I think they must be taking tips from Kate gosslelin!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kate+gosselin+short+hair+pictures&oq=kate+gosselin+short&aq=0&aqi=g3g-K2&aql=&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0l3j0i30l2.1911.3673.0.5235.6.4.0.2.2.0.167.538.0j4.4.0...0.0.&mvs=0#&miuv=12
    I just thank got my hair was super thick that I don't have a mullet! I am actually getting my hair dyed back brown next week as supposedly dark hair looks thicker than blonde hair plus I just can't handle the roots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

I'm nearly four years trying to get my hair right after a dreadful cut. I have very thick, curly hair and she thinned one side of it so much that I had a bald patch. Needless to say I never went back as they always have some excuse. Anyway I'm on my fifth hairdresser and still my hair at one side is dreadful, loads of uneven layers and when I blow dry it sticks out whereas the other side sits perfectly. They keep telling me that my hair sits differently on that side but I know its the result of what was done initially. Now I need to find another hairdresser ande keep praying for a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Millem wrote: »
    Shawn Full Tweet you are spot on! Maybe thinned out hair must be some sort of trend that I am not aware of! I think they must be taking tips from Kate gosslelin!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kate+gosselin+short+hair+pictures&oq=kate+gosselin+short&aq=0&aqi=g3g-K2&aql=&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0l3j0i30l2.1911.3673.0.5235.6.4.0.2.2.0.167.538.0j4.4.0...0.0.&mvs=0#&miuv=12
    I just thank got my hair was super thick that I don't have a mullet! I am actually getting my hair dyed back brown next week as supposedly dark hair looks thicker than blonde hair plus I just can't handle the roots!

It's definitely some silly fashion trend that's on the go, cos the whole time the hairdresser was cutting my hair, I was telling her how much I liked my thick hair. In hindsight, she kept retorting with how much it needed to be "lightened" up to take all the weight out of it...I should have known what she was up to, she was probably trying to cover her ass! I can see why they would thin out the ends of layers a little, but I don't see the need for thinning out an entire head of hair!

Advertisement