Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal Micropayments

Options
  • 09-05-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Just reviewing the upcoming Paypal TOS changes, and came across a reference to Paypal Micropayments.

It seem if you change your account to a Micropayments account, fees are charged as 5% + €0.05, instead of the usual 3.4% + €0.35.
    This applies to every transaction on your account.

It's primarily designed for digital content.
    By my calculations, that means if your average sale is less than about €18.75, you're better off with the Micropayments fees.

Just wondering if anyone's ever used this?
    I'm wondering if it affects things on the integration side, or is it just that on their end Paypal assess the fees differently.
    Also, I'm wondering how easy it is to switch back and forth between the two.

I'd also been thinking you could set up a separate account for micropayments, and customise your cart to use the appropriate account based on the transaction value. I presumed though this would be against Paypal's TOS, whicih from what I can see only allows you to have one business account. However, this page would seem to indicate that doing so *is* OK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Mailed Paypal, and got a fairly quick reply back saying that it's fine to have more than one business account, and in fact that's what they recommend - one normal account charged at the normal fee rate, and another for micropayments.

Only tricky bit now is getting the cart software to use two accounts based on the transaction value.

If anyone's interested, the site for converting your account to a micropayments one is https://micropayments.paypal-labs.com/ . It doesn't work in Chrome - Firefox and IE are OK though.

Note that once you do this it will apply to all transactions on your account, and you can only switch to/from micropayments once every 6 months, so it definitely makes sense to use a second account unless you're certain all your transaction will be low value.

Advertisement