Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative Ireland Squad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

...................Clarke
    O Brien.......Kenna.......Browne.......Bermingham
    ......................Chambers.
    ..........Bolger....................Russell
    Forrester.....................................J Kelly.
    .........................Fagan

Only a matter of time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

token101 wrote: »
    No it isn't FFS. Statistics are what most people judge on. Doesn't matter a f*** where they came from, they don't change. Not all, but most players in the SPL aren't good enough for international football. End of story.

You go ahead and use wikipedia to make your opinions about players you know nothing about, just let me know when you are doing this so I cant ignore your rant.

Do you even know roughly how many senior internationals currently play in the SPL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

BOHtox wrote: »
    * denotes that the world cup could be their last tournament.

Interesting to see if anyone will retire after the Euros

Duffer is 33 and has suffered alot of injuries in his career but has had a good couple of seasons injury wise but would be the most likely to retire.

Keane might retire for dramatic effect and make a comeback when called upon, will be 32 in July.

O'Shea, just gone 31, most likely to stay on, possible captain

Andrews, 32 in the summer, likely to gradually disappear from the ranks

Given is not allowed retire, its not upto him

Dunne, 33 in September could go either way, hard to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mikey Drennan from Kilkenny is another promising young lad coming through. He won the FAI under-16 POTY last year. He's playing with Villa at the moment and has scored a lot of goals for their reserves team which won the North Premier League last month.

Hopefully he can keep working away and he might get a break sometime in the near future. He plays up front and to be honest Villa would be better off nearly having him on the bench ahead of Heskey. That lad has gone to the dogs over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Mason and Mcphail at cardiff, Mccann captain at Burnley off top of my head.

And for the Daly argument, this is 1st season he has been injury free in his career and he is second top scorer in SPL, playing for a team outside the old firm and was nominated for SPL player of the year great achievement. Niall Quinn in his autobiography said he was heir to his throne(paraphrasing) injuries have blighted him but hes doing well now.

Alternative Squad Not including anyone on the standby list(assuming everyones fit) for Euro 2012:

Keepers
    Kenny(QPR)
    Doyle(Birmingham)
    Henderson(west ham, on loan from Pompey)

Defenders
    Carr(Birmingham)
    Reid(West Brom)
    Hart(reading)
    Cunningham(Man City on loan to Forrest)
    Clark(Villa)
    Wilson(stoke)
    McCarthy(Cyrstal palace)
    Andy O Brien(Leeds)

Midfielders
    Delap (stoke)
    Ireland (Villa)
    McCarthy(Wigan)/McCann(Burnley)
    Meyler(sunderland)
    Hoolahan (Norwich)
    Pilkington (norwich)
    Brady(Man United on loan to hull)
    Lawrence(Cardiff,on loan from Portsmouth)

Strikers
    Sammon(wigan)
    Noel Hunt (Reading)
    Mason( Cardiff)
    Best(newcastle)

Standby List:
    Joe Murphy (Coventry)
    Damien Delaney(Ipswich)
    Joey O Brien(West ham)
    Conor Clifford(Chelsea)
    Keith Treacy(Burnley)
    Stokes (celtic)
    Daly(Dundee Utd)

Team:

Kenny

Carr Wilson Clark Hart

Lawrence Meyler Ireland Hoolahan

Best Hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

POKERKING wrote: »
    Alternative Squad Not including anyone on the standby list(assuming everyones fit) for Euro 2012:

Keepers
    Kenny(QPR)
    Doyle(Birmingham)
    Henderson(west ham, on loan from Pompey)

Defenders
    Carr(Birmingham)
    Reid(West Brom)
    Hart(reading)
    Cunningham(Man City on loan to Forrest)
    Clark(Villa)
    Wilson(stoke)
    McCarthy(Cyrstal palace)
    Andy O Brien(Leeds)

Midfielders
    Delap (stoke)
    Ireland (Villa)
    McCarthy(Wigan)/McCann(Burnley)
    Meyler(sunderland)
    Hoolahan (Norwich)
    Pilkington (norwich)
    Brady(Man United on loan to hull)
    Lawrence(Cardiff,on loan from Portsmouth)

Strikers
    Sammon(wigan)
    Noel Hunt (Reading)
    Mason( Cardiff)
    Best(newcastle)

Standby List:
    Joe Murphy (Coventry)
    Damien Delaney(Ipswich)
    Joey O Brien(West ham)
    Conor Clifford(Chelsea)
    Keith Treacy(Burnley)
    Stokes (celtic)
    Daly(Dundee Utd)

Team:

Kenny

Carr Wilson Clark Hart

Lawrence Meyler Ireland Hoolahan

Best Hunt

Surely McCarthy has to be in the side?

I think Stokes is a bit of a twat, but he is surely in the reserve squad at least?

Also, good call on Carr, but no room for Coleman in the reserve squad, or even the reserve squad standby list? Harsh!

Ormus wrote: »
    Surely McCarthy has to be in the side?

I think Stokes is a bit of a twat, but he is surely in the reserve squad at least?

Also, good call on Carr, but no room for Coleman in the reserve squad, or even the reserve squad standby list? Harsh!

Well i didnt include anyone who made the standby list so thats why Coleman not there. And i didnt know if Mccarthy is allowed under the rules of thus hypothetical situation, thats why i have McCann as a possible replacement, obv mccarthy starts bt Mccann wouldnt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Conor Sammon over Anthony Stokes? Jesus Wept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Kenny

Coleman, Clark, O'Dea, Wilson

Pilkington, Hoolahan, McCarthy, McClean

Walters, Long

POKERKING wrote: »
    Well i didnt include anyone who made the standby list so thats why Coleman not there. And i didnt know if Mccarthy is allowed under the rules of thus hypothetical situation, thats why i have McCann as a possible replacement, obv mccarthy starts bt Mccann wouldnt imo.

Ah ok I see your logic. I had anyone not in Trap's 23 as eligible for my 23.

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Kenny

Coleman, Clark, O'Dea, Wilson

Pilkington, Hoolahan, McCarthy, McClean

Walters, Long

Looks good, but I'm pretty sure 4 of those players will snub your call up in order to take up Trap's offer of a trip to Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Not being Irish, I'm going to say it as I see it.

'Alternative' for me rules out the backups and McCarthy.

An alternative Ireland squad for me would have to accommodate in its lineup the 2 best players, Ireland and Hoolahan. And I don't think a 4-4-2 offers this capability.

Overall I'd play a 4-4-1-1, with the wingers shouldering more defensive responsibility than a 4-2-3-1.

hoolahan in the hole, Ireland one of the '2'.

G.K. wrote: »
    Not being Irish, I'm going to say it as I see it.

'Alternative' for me rules out the backups and McCarthy.

An alternative Ireland squad for me would have to accommodate in its lineup the 2 best players, Ireland and Hoolahan. And I don't think a 4-4-2 offers this capability.

Overall I'd play a 4-4-1-1, with the wingers shouldering more defensive responsibility than a 4-2-3-1.

hoolahan in the hole, Ireland one of the '2'.

The team is the team, the squad is the backup.

This standby list is a new thing just for the papers, don't be fooled by it, they're not part of the squad.

Next thing there will be a back up standby list, just in case :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Still, that only liberates 1 man for my starting XI.

Henderson
    Reid - Duffy - Clark - Wilson
    Coleman - Ireland - Meyler - Pilkington
    Hoolahan
    Best

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Still, that only liberates 1 man for my starting XI.

Henderson
    Reid - Duffy - Clark - Wilson
    Coleman - Ireland - Meyler - Pilkington
    Hoolahan
    Best

Dangerous lookin team.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Looks good, but I'm pretty sure 4 of those players will snub your call up in order to take up Trap's offer of a trip to Poland.

It's unfortunate enough alright, maybe they'll play for me one day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Bonner was responsible for the introduction of the back pass rule

I'd love to know the origin of that rumour! The wiki back pass rule page on even makes reference to him and in particular a game vs Egypt where he supposedly wasted 6 minutes messing about on the ball in his area. It's interesting that there is absolutely no source for that time figure either btw.

Well I watched the full game myself today and I'm of the opinion he did nothing of the sort. He definitely received several back-passes during the game but he wasn't time-wasting with them. If anything he was increasingly urgent to do his familiar route-one punts up the pitch.

By comparison the Egyptian goalkeeper (Ahmed Shobair) was equally (or even more guilty of said offense). The description on the wiki page regarding what Bonner was supposedly doing almost exactly describes what Shobair was doing throughout the game. If you think I'm exaggerating then you might note in the official match report that Shobair was booked in the 72nd minute. His offence? Yes you guessed it .... *time-wasting* on a goal-kick. Plus from about the 85th min until the end he just went into overdrive in this regard as the Egyptians had clearly settled for a draw. In fact a couple of their players raised their arms in celebration at FT so they were clearly happy with 0-0.

(Incidentally, another rumour I've read about this game is that neither team had a shot on target in the entire game. That is not true either. Granted Egypt had no shots on target but Ireland had a whopping *four* on target! (Sheedy in the first half, Houghton, Staunton and Morris in the second).

Not a game for the purists anyway! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule
    wiki wrote:
    An example was when Ireland goalkeeper Pat Bonner kept the ball for over 6 minutes against Egypt by dribbling it around his box and picking it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

token101 wrote: »
    Saying the SPL is a sh*te league relative to international football is hardly a generalisation.

European teams ranked by active international players

1. Barcelona (81%)
    2. Manchester City (73.1%)
    3. Real Madrid (70.8%)
    4. Celtic (68%)
    5. Bayern Munich (66.7%)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Andy Reid :P

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I'd love to know the origin of that rumour! The wiki back pass rule page on even makes reference to him and in particular a game vs Egypt where he supposedly wasted 6 minutes messing about on the ball in his area. It's interesting that there is absolutely no source for that time figure either btw.

Well I watched the full game myself today and I'm of the opinion he did nothing of the sort. He definitely received several back-passes during the game but he wasn't time-wasting with them. If anything he was increasingly urgent to do his familiar route-one punts up the pitch.

By comparison the Egyptian goalkeeper (Ahmed Shobair) was equally (or even more guilty of said offense). The description on the wiki page regarding what Bonner was supposedly doing almost exactly describes what Shobair was doing throughout the game. If you think I'm exaggerating then you might note in the official match report that Shobair was booked in the 72nd minute. His offence? Yes you guessed it .... *time-wasting* on a goal-kick. Plus from about the 85th min until the end he just went into overdrive in this regard as the Egyptians had clearly settled for a draw. In fact a couple of their players raised their arms in celebration at FT so they were clearly happy with 0-0.

(Incidentally, another rumour I've read about this game is that neither team had a shot on target in the entire game. That is not true either. Granted Egypt had no shots on target but Ireland had a whopping *four* on target! (Sheedy in the first half, Houghton, Staunton and Morris in the second).

Not a game for the purists anyway! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

Why why why in the world would you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Why why why in the world would you do that?

My Euro 2012 build-up is to see some of the old Ireland games from finals past. I was curious to see this game in particular seeing as it's pretty much been summarised as this "terrible bore draw with no shots on goal and, where nothing happened and now lets never speak of it again"

Even 'Reeling in the Years' misrepresents the game by just showing one shot of Mick McCarthy blasting a long range 'shot' a mile over the crossbar.

It was even "a disgrace' as far as Eamon Dunphy was concerned. As usual his assessment was over the top and incorrect.

Don't get me wrong, it was no classic, but the Dunphy-Charlton feud has shaped many peoples memory of that game imho into something far worse than it was. It's an interesting study in media manipulation. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    My Euro 2012 build-up is to see some of the old Ireland games from finals past. I was curious to see this game in particular seeing as it's pretty much been summarised as this "terrible bore draw with no shots on goal and, where nothing happened and now lets never speak of it again"

Even 'Reeling in the Years' misrepresents the game by just showing one shot of Mick McCarthy blasting a long range 'shot' a mile over the crossbar.

It was even "a disgrace' as far as Eamon Dunphy was concerned. As usual his assessment was over the top and incorrect.

Don't get me wrong, it was no classic, but the Dunphy-Charlton feud has shaped many peoples memory of that game imho into something far worse than it was. It's an interesting study in media manipulation. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I remember this game very well and it was one of the worst I've ever seen. Ireland played terrible football at the best of times, and Egypt came out to stifle that terrible football. So it was a collision of ugly football and negative football.

Advertisement