Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Grubby Old Pub in or around Kilkenny City centre

Options
  • 09-05-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Any tips for nice old fashioned grubby old mens pubs in Kilkenny Town centre? No chrome or cocktails please!

Also, is there any indie clubs/pubs of the non meat market style?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Spins wrote: »
    Any tips for nice old fashioned grubby old mens pubs in Wexford Town centre? No chrome or cocktails please!

Also, is there any indie clubs/pubs of the non meat market style?

You'd probably get a better response about pubs in Wexford in the Wexford forum rather than a Kilkenny forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Doh! Should have read Kilkenny, edit made.

To answer your question, there's loads of old man pubs.

The Tholsel and The Harp bar, directly opposite each other on High St.

Doherty's on Friary St.

The Nore Bar at Greensbridge.

Lenehans up opposite the army barracks.
    (to name a few)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

O'Riada's in Parliament street & Tynan's on John's Bridge are both nice, but very different old man pubs.

I really Like O'Riada's. It's small though.

I don't know what an indie pub is but if you're looking for a pub which has good bands it's hard to beat Ryans on Friary Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I'd say the Pumphouse might fall into the indie category.

As for old man pubs the already mentioned Tholsel, Harp and Tynans would be my suggestions.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads, plenty to keep us busy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

To be honest you can't throw a stone in Kilkenny without hitting a pub, so plenty to choose from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Phelans on Parliament street. Although if he doesn't like the cut of you he'll shut up for the night and let the regulars stay. I've seen him do it.

catbear wrote: »
    Phelans on Parliament street. Although if he doesn't like the cut of you he'll shut up for the night and let the regulars stay. I've seen him do it.

Where is this exactly?I can't picture it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's exactly on Parliament street. Between The Nixon on Watergate (... I just got that. Effing hell.. that only took like... two months? Jesus!) and what used to be The Widows... whatever it's called now.

Yeah it's one of those places that you've probably walked past a million times and never paid any attention to.

• Advertisement

fabbydabby wrote: »
    It's exactly on Parliament street. Between The Nixon on Watergate (... I just got that. Effing hell.. that only took like... two months? Jesus!) and what used to be The Widows... whatever it's called now.

Yeah it's one of those places that you've probably walked past a million times and never paid any attention to.

I don't get it?? Political scandal? Whats the relevance?

There's no relevance, it's just that I had always thought The Nixon was a rather arbitrary name for a pub, and I never really understood why they included the 'on watergate' bit (all the pubs there at at the watergate) until I was typing it out there now.

And if you still have no idea what I am on about, here

But yeah I never made the connection. Until now. *facepalm*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There's no relevance, it's just that I had always thought The Nixon was a rather arbitrary name for a pub, and I never really understood why they included the 'on watergate' bit (all the pubs there at at the watergate) until I was typing it out there now.

And if you still have no idea what I am on about, here

But yeah I never made the connection. Until now. *facepalm*

I got it first off and it was a facepalm moment alright.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

If ya want an Old Dirty/Grubby Pub in or around Kilkenny City centre.
    Ó Riada's will definitely qualify.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

The Tholsel if you want to step into the 1970's

Totally. Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at yeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Post 18 and still no mention of TWE?

That is SO 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Post 18 and still no mention of TWE?
    The OP is looking something grubby without chrome or cocktails so that obviously rules out TWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I just got the whole Nixon on The Watergate thing too! I'm so impressed that I might actually go there for a pint.

My favourite old school pub in Kilkenny is definitely the Home Rule Club, even down to it's pictures of Kilkenny characters of old on the walls. It's great in there.

Doherty's is also a great one.

Phelans is kind of like walking into someone's sitting room. No harm though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

KK4SAM wrote: »
    If ya want an Old Dirty/Grubby Pub in or around Kilkenny City centre.
    Ó Riada's will definitely qualify.

Nothing Dirty/Grubby about Ó Riada's. Just Old and quaint. Great kilkenny pub

AND it has the best pint of black/red/gold/cider in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

clivej wrote: »
    Nothing Dirty/Grubby about Ó Riada's. Just Old and quaint. Great kilkenny pub

Ah here, the jacks is the worst in the city... The burning stench of p1ss in my nostrils puts me right off my Smithwicks!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Ah here, the jacks is the worst in the city... The burning stench of p1ss in my nostrils puts me right off my Smithwicks!!

It's not that bad, I know it's tiny. Staff and customers are sound and I really enjoy going in there. They also serve the best pints in Kilkenny, along with Dohertys and The Nore Bar.

By the way, thanks everyone for your recommendations, we had a great time in Kilkenny.

Which pubs did you go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

And nobody mentioned the Worlds End, guess that must be an upper class establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's got a sure fire mention if someone sets up the 'Worst Grubby Old Pub in or around Kilkenny City centre' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Pat Carroll's all the way, then again I'm from Newpark so what would I know...

I was in Pat Carroll's recently and I thought it would be the perfect spot for a party with the open floor. I like Lenihans across the road though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I was in Pat Carroll's recently and I thought it would be the perfect spot for a party with the open floor. I like Lenihans across the road though.

One of the best nights out you'll ever have will be in pat's! That is - if you know the locals.

Advertisement