Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not eating Veggies!

Options
  • 09-05-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

hey guys,
    never really got into the big world of veggies or the sorts since i was 13 or 14, all i ate was very plain foods (in the last 6 or 7 years mainly chips and meat and processed foods like pizza etc), with very little nutritional benefits and as i am leaving my teenagers years and going into my roaring 20's i realized how important my health is.
    so to get all the nutrients i need, what is the best way to get these?
    I actually cant eat vegetables, im like a 6 year old when it comes to it.

but is there like a smoothie you can get to compensate for this or any thing along these lines
    Cheers.:D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can eat vegetables, you just havent retrained yourself to do it yet.

Do you eat fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Unless you fall over and die when you eat vegetables then yes you can eat them.

You're not a child anymore.

Eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This 'not eating veg' thing seems very psychosomatic. Would it be the texture, look or consistency of eating/chewing them that has you like this?

Like on a pizza, would you not have eaten sweetcorn, onions, mushrooms or peppers anyway?

You could get your nutrients via juicing, but that's as a last resort (or trial and error depending on the person).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

Oryx wrote: »
    You can eat vegetables, you just havent retrained yourself to do it yet.

Do you eat fruit?

I do just not that often maybe have a banana or apple every now and again
    Unless you fall over and die when you eat vegetables then yes you can eat them.

You're not a child anymore.

Eat them.

OMG! i have never thought of that! thank you
    chin_grin wrote: »
    This 'not eating veg' thing seems very psychosomatic. Would it be the texture, look or consistency of eating/chewing them that has you like this?

Like on a pizza, would you not have eaten sweetcorn, onions, mushrooms or peppers anyway?

You could get your nutrients via juicing, but that's as a last resort (or trial and error depending on the person).

your dead right mainly the texture, like onions(and their in everything) and the likes the crunch sound puts me of i think or the fact in my head i know its not meat and meat is much nicer :D

haha yeh if i get a pizza only meat on it, i like mushrooms tho
    same with hamburgers will only eat erm with ketchup wont eat a cheeseburger or any the rest of them, i knew what i like when i was younger and just always stuck with me i suppose.

Talk about replying quick as well. I appreciate it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Is there any chance you use a fair bit of sugar in your tea? I was the same as you and couldn't stand vege and wasn't a big fruit/nuts fan.

Stopped in January, and after about a month or so i noticed that my perception of the taste of things massively changed and lots of stuff became nice.

It may not apply to you, or it may be another food/addition to food but it's worth considering if there is something biasing (I suppose this would be the best word, though not ideal) your perception of taste.

EDIT: I had the thing about texture, still worth trying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

your dead right mainly the texture, like onions(and their in everything) and the likes the crunch sound puts me of i think or the fact in my head i know its not meat and meat is much nicer :D

haha yeh if i get a pizza only meat on it, i like mushrooms tho
    same with hamburgers will only eat erm with ketchup wont eat a cheeseburger or any the rest of them, i knew what i like when i was younger and just always stuck with me i suppose.

Right here's what you could do, a very basic bolognese.

Mince + onions + carrots + mushrooms + sauce (tomato).

You might want to reduce the amount of mince to wean yourself more on to veg.

What about salads (cherry tomatoes and raw peppers). Very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

Just suck it up and eat them ffs. There's no excuse for an adult to be this fussy with food.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

First, give up any junk you still eat. I promise you once you clean up your diet, your taste buds will cry out for variety, making it easier to introduce new foods. Also, you are in the habit of eating strong, artificial flavours, you need to remove these to reeducate your palate to the subtler taste of fruit and veg.

You can eat apples and bananas. Thats a good start. If you like those, there is no reason not to appreciate other (nicer) fruits. Try strawberries, blueberries and other soft fruits. Blend them to start and/or mix with frozen yoghurt if its difficult at first. Set yourself the challenge every week of introducing a new fruit.

Now, I know you dont want to live on fruit, but this is all about developing the ability to cope with new tastes and textures. Fruit is an easy place to start, especially as you already tolerate some.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

Is there any chance you use a fair bit of sugar in your tea? I was the same as you and couldn't stand vege and wasn't a big fruit/nuts fan.

Stopped in January, and after about a month or so i noticed that my perception of the taste of things massively changed and lots of stuff became nice.

It may not apply to you, or it may be another food/addition to food but it's worth considering if there is something biasing (I suppose this would be the best word, though not ideal) your perception of taste.

EDIT: I had the thing about texture, still worth trying anyway.

as much sugar as you can fit on 2 spoons haha i was pretty much a sugar junkie as a kid and still kinda am, i like temptation i just dont deal with it very well. eating new veggies or just veggies in general would be easier than weening out sugar but i try to resist when i can just not as much as i should.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Right here's what you could do, a very basic bolognese.

Mince + onions + carrots + mushrooms + sauce (tomato).

You might want to reduce the amount of mince to wean yourself more on to veg.

What about salads (cherry tomatoes and raw peppers). Very tasty.

haha i wouldnt eat bolognese because there was onions in the sauce haha yeh i know im that bad. but yes i might just try small amounts ween myself into a small bit at a time. its a good idea cheers. salads iv'e gone hungry rather then eating them :(
    Just suck it up and eat them ffs. There's no excuse for an adult to be this fussy with food.

Oh believe me im with you on this, its silly and a bit naive to be so fussy. but thats the problem i am really fussy and thats what i have to get over
    Oryx wrote: »
    First, give up any junk you still eat. I promise you once you clean up your diet, your taste buds will cry out for variety, making it easier to introduce new foods. Also, you are in the habit of eating strong, artificial flavours, you need to remove these to reeducate your palate to the subtler taste of fruit and veg.

You can eat apples and bananas. Thats a good start. If you like those, there is no reason not to appreciate other (nicer) fruits. Try strawberries, blueberries and other soft fruits. Blend them to start and/or mix with frozen yoghurt if its difficult at first. Set yourself the challenge every week of introducing a new fruit.

Now, I know you dont want to live on fruit, but this is all about developing the ability to cope with new tastes and textures. Fruit is an easy place to start, especially as you already tolerate some.

this makes sense to me i am in the habit of eating strong processed foods and stuff and thats what killed me in the first place, yeh in the shopping this week i might throw in a few soft fruits and veggies, id eat some sort of peas so ill throw them is as well start drink water with dinners for a week or two and see if theres any difference and go from there...sugar might be a down fall as well so ill try my best to cut down on my intake.

I appreciate it folks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Have you tried getting veg in soup form?
    You can make fresh veg soup very easily.
    It won't give you a huge volume of veg but it will get you started eating it.

Here's a quick basic recipe for Carrot an parsnip soup. It can be modified to include other veg.

Finely chop an onion and fry it in a saucepan on a medium heat.(don't worry you'll be blending it later so there'll be no bits)
    You can include some garlic and chili to the onion if you like a bit more flavour
    Peel and chop 3 carrots and half a parsnip (parsnips are very strong flavoured)
    Fry these in with the onions for a few mins adding some black pepper as seasoning.
    Then Add 750ml of stock (I use chicken stock for a bit more flavour but veg stock is fine)
    Boil the carrots and parnsips in the stock until soft.
    Then blend and you have soup.
    You can adjust the stock quantity depending on how thick you want the soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Soup is a great idea.A blender would help you no ends there.

I used to eat terrible.Like rice crispies buried in sugar for my morning break at work when i was in my early twenties.
    Then at home chipper take aways and chinese takeaways.
    I ultimately suffered severely for this.
    It took a very very harsh lesson in health for me to now appreciate vegetables so much as i do now.
    I eat broccolli as im chopping it to cook as well as raw onions and garlic while i cook haha.
    When i was a teen i wouldnt even eat onions!
    Its all abut your motivations and perspectives i believe.
    If you actualy saw how much damage that processed food was doing you would be looking at vegetables with lust haha
    I know i get excited when i see a good batch of brocolli :D

For me it is my medicine.And i love it because of the suffering i had before and the comparison now.
    I just hope you dont need to suffer as i did to leanr that same lesson.
    Im glad to hear you are just in your 20's and already have started to see the light!
    That is a blessing already imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 karbear

try making fruit smoothies and add a carrot or two to them- i swear you won't be able to tell they're in there. just google carrot smoothies (or smoothies w/ vegetables) for some recipes.

also, when i first met my bf of three years he couldn't eat veg (even gagged on lettuce when i gave him a salad one night), but now he craves vegetables- cooked, raw, etc. just slowly incorporate things into your diet (and try new types of veg, you might find something you like!) and in time you'll see salad and veg taking up more room on your plate than the other stuff :D sorry for the long post- good luck!

Advertisement