Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog shying away from harness

• 09-05-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys, I noticed yesterday that even more than usual, my lab/poodle cross is shying away from the harness when we go to put it on to bring him out for a walk. Now every other dog I've had any dealing with is more likely to go ape upon the production of a lead or harness because it means going outside, but Freddie is pulling away from it.

We've never really walked him on a normal collar and lead (only once or twice) as we were advised against it because he always had such big paws and strong legs (apparently stronger than his neck). He's pulling a lot on the lead so I'm going to try the gentle leader or halti shortly I'd say but still wondering if any of you have come across issues like this where he doesn't like the harness in particular. He has absolutely no problem with his collar and his name tag even jingles a bit and he doesn't mind that either. But I have to lure him into putting on the harness using treats and sometimes he walks a bit funny when I put it on first. I've loosened it lots, there's plenty of room so I'm a bit concerned? Could it just be personal preference?! :confused:

Thanks for all or any advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

What sort of harness is it?

My dogs hated the head harnesses - we only used them once, and the next time i picked it up, they both got really dejected (one went to hide in her bed, the other rolled over as if chastised) and that was all that I needed to know.

Haven't had any issues with the front connecting harness, both dogs love their walks with it - and so do I!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Oh it's just a regular ancol jobbie - pic here:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ancol-Dog-Puppy-Harness-Various-Sizes-Red-Blue-Black-/250853476703?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item8010c631d5#ht_1363wt_1139

We only pop it on him when we're going for a walk, otherwise, he's comfy in just his collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I had a dog years ago that just didn't want the harness and i couldn't get why...

One day we were at the vets for a check up and the vet felt something on his ribs, it turned out he had a rib out of place, probably since a pup as it had healed that way...it didn't hurt him or anything, but it made the harness very uncomfortable for him...

Not saying its the same thing, but have a really good feel around the harness area, see if he complains or if you can feel anything, even a scratch say in the area can make the harness uncomfortable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has he any sores, cuts, lumps or bumps along where the harness would sit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mine runs away when I produce a harness! Doesn't matter whether it's his walking harness or the car one. Funny, as he's fine once it's on, and he LOVES going out...

Have you tried your doggy with a padded harness OP? Might be that the particular one you've shown cuts into him and makes him uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement