Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Dog Kennel in Cork

• 09-05-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi all,

Picking up my 3 year old lab x collie on Saturday and looking to get a kennel for him when he's outside.

Was in Petstop beside the Kinsale roundabout this morning and they don't have anything big enough apparently.

Was planning on just going to a Maxi Zoo but someone else suggested getting one from a shed shop.

Had originally planned on getting one of the plastic ones that can come apart for cleaning.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have a look on donedeal or adverts.ie, there's loads of second hand and new ones a lot cheaper than shops. Don't be tempted to get a huge one, a small one that's obviously big enough to stand up and turn around in is better as it keeps the heat in better. I was looking at ones on donedeal that were insulated and not a crazy price provided you had a trailer to transport it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I was in Maxi Zoo yesterday and I was given a flyer for a sale from this Friday to Sunday. They have a large wooden kennel on sale for 89.99. Think I'll prob pick one up, the one I have has gotten pretty shabby and they could do with a new one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

there's a fella on Donedeal, he's in Cork somewhere, he makes this wonderful ones, like a log cabin...

My daughter got one and its worm and as large as you want it...and it looks great to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Thanks for the responses.

Those log ones look amazing alright, but I don't have the trailer to get one.

I think I'll be calling into Maxi Zoo tomorrow, although I might wait until I actually get him because I can't remember exactly what size he is.

Edit: would this be ok for a medium sized lab (I reckon that's what size he is) 780m/2.5FT W x 880m/2.7FT D x 860m/2.6FT/H (at apex) http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/petaccessories/2692877

paudie wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.

Those log ones look amazing alright, but I don't have the trailer to get one.

I think I'll be calling into Maxi Zoo tomorrow, although I might wait until I actually get him because I can't remember exactly what size he is.

Edit: would this be ok for a medium sized lab (I reckon that's what size he is) 780m/2.5FT W x 880m/2.7FT D x 860m/2.6FT/H (at apex) http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/petaccessories/2692877

He delivers and assembles them at your palace....

He delivered to Buttavent no extra charge...

As for the size, get one suitable for a German Shepperd...

My thing with those houses is that it doesn't really protect them from rain and they are not that worm

• Advertisement

tudlytops wrote: »
    He delivers and assembles them at your palace....

I live in a house not a palace :P, you're talking about the log ones here are you?
    tudlytops wrote: »
    My thing with those houses is that it doesn't really protect them from rain and they are not that worm

Are you talking about the one I linked to here?

I live in a house not a palace :P, you're talking about the log ones here are you?

Are you talking about the one I linked to here?

LOL, yes i ment place...:) and yes i was talking about the log house...

As for my other comment, i was talking about your link, I have 2 of those houses, and i have had to add a front to it and in the bad weather i don't think they provide enough warmth, and we can't be at home 24/7 so there are times they have to be out side..

Plus as the dog gets older he will need more worth, i have a old one now, that never goes outside withou a jackets and he's a sheepdog, not ever since i looked at the poor thing and he was shivering with the cold.

People say, they are dogs, what do dogs in the wild do...well many die and pet dogs have not been wild dogs for many years...

Ok cheers for that.

So you think the plastic ones wouldn't be as good in general because they don;t keep the warmth in, yeah?

Ok cheers for that.

So you think the plastic ones wouldn't be as good in general because they don;t keep the warmth in, yeah?

Exactly, the plastic and the really thin wooden ones, they cost a lot of money and i don't think they very good, we can have really bad weather here, if it turns to snow and ice and you have to go somewhere, will you be comfortable leaving him there, especially as he gets older?

Invest the money now on something that will last you years...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

I got one of these last year http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_houses_flaps/dog_houses/woody/129913, bought it from a local garden centre, but seriously regret it and it'll be chopped up for firewood as soon as I find a replacement. It seeps in water, no idea how. I have a flap on it, but it's the floor that's seeping wet, even though it's well off the concrete. It must be coming in through the sides or something. Within a few months, there was mould on the inside of the roof from the damp.

I've been looking at the ones on donedeal made by a guy in Drogheda http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/petaccessories/3223436

They look pretty waterproof, strong, compartments so more windproof, and insulated floor. They look great, am currently looking into delivery charges although I think it'll be out of my range somehow. If you happen to live in Cork, then let me know, maybe delivery would be more economical shared!

I definitely though, will not be buying a flat pack kennel again, they just seem too flimsy. If I have to, I'll find a local carpenter to build me one. Or if anyone knows anyone in Cork who builds to spec, maybe let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Hanley's Garden Centre in Frankfield (just off the Kinsale Road Roundabout) do really good quality kennels. They look basic enough and cost a little over €100, but they're made from the same timber that their fencing is made from and they really do last a long time. I have 2 English Setters and Hanley's second largest kennel is big enough for them both.

Was in Maxi Zoo this morning and the one they have on sale from tomorrow seems like it would be a good enough size.

Going to go back tomorrow morning for a proper look. It is flat pack but that suits me better for getting it to the house and out the back, there's no external access to the back garden, only through the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We got ours from pet cosy but I can't find their website anymore, the kennels we got are fully insulated top and bottom and all sides they aren't as cheap as some kennels but are rock solid and really warm with a wipeable non slip floor.

But if it's just a kennel for now and then throughout the day any timber kennel should do or a small shed might even be cheaper to buy a small potting shed and insulate it yourselves.

Edited to add I've been through the plasticy ones and the expensive igloo ones and all caused condensation despite them having vents on top and they let water in. A traditional kennel shape is probably the most practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

dmg10 wrote: »
    I got one of these last year
    I've been looking at the ones on donedeal made by a guy in Drogheda http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/petaccessories/3223436

They look pretty waterproof, strong, compartments so more windproof, and insulated floor. They look great, am currently looking into delivery charges although I think it'll be out of my range somehow. If you happen to live in Cork, then let me know, maybe delivery would be more economical shared!

Turned out the delivery price wasn't too outrageous so I've ordered one of these for my two dogs. A bit more cost than buying a thinner wood one from the local store but I'd rather get 12 years from a well built one than 2 from a flimsy thing. My brother built a great one for our family dog when we were kids, all insulated walls, compartment, hinged roof and completely waterproof. Lasted 15years for the time she was with us. Unfortunately he lives in Spain now or he'd be building me another :-)

Got the one on offer in Maxi Zoo today.

Doesn't seem the best ever but doesn't seem the worst either. Smelled very strongly of creosote when I first got it so have it out of the box (apart) outside for the night.

Just wondering should I raise it up on something to help insulate it?

The floor isn't directly on the ground, it has a one inch rim running around the edges, but just wondering should I get something else like a few bricks or some more pieces of timber?

Thanks,

Advertisement