Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor Problem Phonewatch Alarm

Options
  • 09-05-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an eircom phonewatch alarm, its monitored by phonewatch, this morning and this afternoon the same sensor activated the alarm, never had a problem before with either panel or sensor.
    Its been a few years since the batteries in general were replaced, would this be an indication that the battery in the sensor needs replacing??

I have a maintenace contract included with the monitoring but its only the basic package so as far as I know I am only entitled to 2 x free call out/inspection visits, parts are extra.

Any advice, suggestions - Thanks.

I have attached Picture of Panel and Sensor.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It always amazes me how company's sell you an annual maintenance package & then limit your calls. Why should you have to pay for extra calls if they don't maintain the system properly.
    Generally the system will tell you if the battery is low.
    If may be the device its self that's faulty. BTW is that a door that that's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have an eircom phonewatch alarm, its monitored by phonewatch, this morning and this afternoon the same sensor activated the alarm, never had a problem before with either panel or sensor.
    Its been a few years since the batteries in general were replaced, would this be an indication that the battery in the sensor needs replacing??

I have a maintenace contract included with the monitoring but its only the basic package so as far as I know I am only entitled to 2 x free call out/inspection visits, parts are extra.

Any advice, suggestions - Thanks.

I have attached Picture of Panel and Sensor.

The sensor is the older 319 frequency shock sensor. I would say it is a problem with the sensor head more so than the battery as the system would give you an indication of a battery fault. Parts off this system are hard to come by so they might offer you the upgrade to the concord system with a 319 receiver for the older sensors. I know from installing the concord upgrades they take out two 319 sensors and install 2 of the 433 sensors to try replenish the stock but they might not replace it for you this way. By getting the upgrade they can take out faulty sensors and replace them with a 433 frequency sensor that the concord system picks up on. It is the cheaper option but the down side to this is the sensors on the concord use the 433 frequency, again this is an old frequency compared to the newer 868 frequency that is used on alarm systems today. A lot of devices like remotes controls, door bells and so on use this frequency so they are prone to interference in some cases. In the long run you would be better off getting a price for a new system. There are plenty of good deals around at the moment and any registered installer can set up monitoring and a proper maintenance contract with a new install.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Koolkid,
    BTW is that a door that that's on?
    Its on a ground floor window. Thanks for your reply. I'll probably get phonewatch to call out and see what they say, under the current contract I have a free call out.
    The sensor is the older 319 frequency shock sensor. I would say it is a problem with the sensor head more so than the battery as the system would give you an indication of a battery fault. Parts off this system are hard to come by so they might offer you the upgrade to the concord system with a 319 receiver for the older sensors. I know from installing the concord upgrades they take out two 319 sensors and install 2 of the 433 sensors to try replenish the stock but they might not replace it for you this way. By getting the upgrade they can take out faulty sensors and replace them with a 433 frequency sensor that the concord system picks up on. It is the cheaper option but the down side to this is the sensors on the concord use the 433 frequency, again this is an old frequency compared to the newer 868 frequency that is used on alarm systems today. A lot of devices like remotes controls, door bells and so on use this frequency so they are prone to interference in some cases. In the long run you would be better off getting a price for a new system. There are plenty of good deals around at the moment and any registered installer can set up monitoring and a proper maintenance contract with a new install.

Thanks Altor for your post. The system at this stage is old it was installed in 2000, although we've had no trouble over the years, the main control battery was replaced about 2 years ago. I know where I can get a few of these sensors from an alarm system same as this as it was replaced with a newer system.

I will get PW to call out as I have the 'free' callout see what they say.
    Thats good to know about the upgrade, not really much point upgrading to a system that uses an old frequency, if going that route probably better off gettin a new system.

As you can tell this is a wireless system, so the house is not wired for sensors. Regarding a new system am I better off getting wired or wireless, I presume from an installation point of view wireless is cheaper when wiring to the doors, windows etc are not already there.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Thanks Altor for your post. The system at this stage is old it was installed in 2000, although we've had no trouble over the years, the main control battery was replaced about 2 years ago. I know where I can get a few of these sensors from an alarm system same as this as it was replaced with a newer system.

I will get PW to call out as I have the 'free' callout see what they say.
    Thats good to know about the upgrade, not really much point upgrading to a system that uses an old frequency, if going that route probably better off gettin a new system.

As you can tell this is a wireless system, so the house is not wired for sensors. Regarding a new system am I better off getting wired or wireless, I presume from an installation point of view wireless is cheaper when wiring to the doors, windows etc are not already there.

Thanks again for the replies.

Ideally a wired system but protecting cables to all the sensors is not always possible so maybe a hybrid system would suit. With the advances in wire free technology a wire free system is as good as wired. The only drawback as you know is having to change the batteries every 3-4 years.

Advertisement