Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stonewell cider....YUM

Options
  • 09-05-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Anyone try Stonewell Cider.

Just drank a bottle there last night from my local, galvins carry out across from lennoxs by UCC. Never saw it before, but its made in kinsale.

Its definitely in my top 5 drinks and will be my tipple for the summer. Its half way between apple juice and champagne and heaven. Well worth a try though even tho its a bit expensive 3.99 a bottle I think.

Anyone else ever seen it or tried it and what did you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

eurokev wrote: »
    Anyone try Stonewell Cider.

Just drank a bottle there last night from my local, galvins carry out across from lennoxs by UCC. Never saw it before, but its made in kinsale.

Its definitely in my top 5 drinks and will be my tipple for the summer. Its half way between apple juice and champagne and heaven. Well worth a try though even tho its a bit expensive 3.99 a bottle I think.

Anyone else ever seen it or tried it and what did you think?

Was thinking of trying this yesterday but 3.99 is awful expensive, I got a couple of bottles of Westons 2010 Vintage with an abv of 8.2 for the same price instead, I'd try it if it was around 2.99 though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

€3.99 is a crazy price! I've heard its that price in a few places. No way I'd spend that on 1 bottle!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    €3.99 is a crazy price! I've heard its that price in a few places. No way I'd spend that on 1 bottle!
    Is it because you're comparing it to beer or alcopop prices? Proper cider is not only a long and expensive business to produce, it gets a very raw deal under Irish excise law.

Not that I'm trying to force €4 out of your pocket, but there's a reason it's priced there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BeerNut wrote: »
    Is it because you're comparing it to beer or alcopop prices? Proper cider is not only a long and expensive business to produce, it gets a very raw deal under Irish excise law.

Not that I'm trying to force €4 out of your pocket, but there's a reason it's priced there.

I don't drink alco pops nor am I comparing it to anything like that! I actually work in an off-licence, and know people aren't really going to spend that much money on a bottle of cider when there is a lot more out there of equally good quality if not better, and doesn't cost as much!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

there is a lot more out there of equally good quality if not better
    Do you mean foreign cider? All the Irish craft ciders I've seen have been in the €4-5 bracket for 500ml. Are there cheaper ones?
    people aren't really going to spend that much money on a bottle of cider
    People spend that much and more on wine. That's the market segment in which cider belongs, but it's a really tough perception to change, as anyone who works or campaigns for cider in the UK will tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

It's €8 per litre which isn't really that bad for a quality cider, works out as €2.65 ish for 33cl which isn't too bad considering the excise situation and the cost of making it. It's not competing with devils bit or bulmers as it appeals to people that like a bit more apple in their cider and are prepared to pay a little extra for it. I've had many a bulmers drinker say " whoa! This cider tastes like apples!" which cracks me up every time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

I don't drink alco pops nor am I comparing it to anything like that! I actually work in an off-licence, and know people aren't really going to spend that much money on a bottle of cider when there is a lot more out there of equally good quality if not better, and doesn't cost as much!

Their sales figures beg to differ...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Trying this for the first time tonight and it is absolutely delish. Well worth the price. Obv not a cider to go and hammered on (pricewise) however

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Came across it at Bloom and 'twas only gorgeous.
    Delighted to see it stocked locally yesterday, yep 3.99 but as a treat on occasion worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Was thinking of trying this yesterday but 3.99 is awful expensive, I got a couple of bottles of Westons 2010 Vintage with an abv of 8.2 for the same price instead, I'd try it if it was around 2.99 though.

If you don't mind me asking, but where did you get the weston's? only recently discovered this stuff and its amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

sofireland wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, but where did you get the weston's? only recently discovered this stuff and its amazing!

In Redmonds of Ranelagh, great place, it has about 4 or 5 good brands of cider..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

some good news for stonewell

http://www.goodfoodireland.ie/press/provider-news-stonewell-cider-celebrates-italian-job-with-awards-win/2964

its a lovely cider & great to see it taking off!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

I had it recently and it's delish,Finally a dry cider on the market. LOVE IT!!!

Advertisement