Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare - whats there?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I'm new here so I'll keep my first post short and sweet.

I visited Kenmare with my husband the May Bank holiday weekend. A little disappointing I must say. We stayed in the Kenmare Bay hotel & resort. It was ok - staff were very nice but please do not pay extra for a luxury room as these are not luxury but a room with an extra single bed ??? It was a family room as such. No need for that extra expense especially seen as the town is expensive enough.

The average price we paid for a meal without alcohol was €65 before tip for a starter and main course (no desert either). The first night we went to D'arcy's and had the pudding starter which was nice - a little too much apple chutney for me! For the main course we selected fish. The salmon and seabass were dry, over cooked and just not tasty. The sides were equally disappointing :(
    The second night we ate in the Charcoal Steakhouse - now that was YUMMY...ooohhhh so tasty. The ribs and chicken wings are delicious and the steak was perfect - very large portions so I didn't have room to sample the desert menu!

Kenmare itself consists of 2 streets with mostly bars and some art shops. Not very interesting after an hour or 2. There is a lovely golf course and walk nearby the golf course but apart from this, Kenmare is really a stopping point for the ring of kerry or the ring of beara. Most people we spoke with were only staying 1 night and then moving on.

I know there are water sports that you can do and also go out to hopefully catch a glimpse of seals but the weather wasn't great for this when we were there.

overall, nice to see but no need to stay the night :)

Advertisement