Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cameras in Mc Donalds toilets Yes Or No.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I'm against it there. I think it should be referred to the data commissioner or whatever relevant body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

smythc wrote: »
    but clearly you are not a parent as if you are and this does not bother you then you are a bad parent...period

Ah sorry, I forgot childeren existed. OK maybe Im not so okay with it now. Damn kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Ah sorry, I forgot childeren existed. OK maybe Im not so okay with it now. Damn kids.

lol good man for changing your opinion...yes kids are also annoying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

but clearly you are not a parent as if you are and this does not bother you then you are a bad parent...period
    That's only because everything annoys parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's only because everything annoys parents.

tis true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Heard a rumor a few years back that the toilets in McDonlads Grafton St was being used for some paedo behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

It's also who is operating the cameras you have to take into account,what background they have or thoughts they might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What is the children angle here?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    It's also who is operating the cameras you have to take into account,what background they have or thoughts they might have.

Do you trust anyone? why do you think there is something else going on other than security? maybe it's to protect the customers.

hondasam wrote: »
    Where's the children angle in adult movies, drug use, TV, books, etc... There is none, parents just get into a blind panic about everything.

Do you trust anyone? why do you think there is something else going on other than security? maybe it's to protect the customers.
    It's not to protect customers it's to prevent law suits. They have the security there to protect their own property, avoid legal action and to avoid any blame falling on the company. It's never, ever about protecting the customer unless they're legally obliged by law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We don't even know where the camera is pointing, what field of view it has, if it can swivel or not, or even if it's a real camera at all. I think it's safe to say any McDonalds franchisee or CCTV installation company will be aware of the law. As long as it's either a dummy camera or isn't pointing at sensitive areas it doesn't phase me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Well I heard those camera have excellent range. Why isn't it at least on the other side and not the side facing peckers?

Also, seriously now in seriousness for a second. How unbecoming is it to be recorded in this manner. Very unbecoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

It's a camera alright doubt it is a ptz tho in my opinion it looks from the picture its looking over the main area still wrong to have a camera in the toilets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

looks like this whole thread should be blasted with piss.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thanks for Photoshopping me out of the picture....

Which reminds me, must clean the knees of my trousers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

hondasam wrote: »

jimmynokia wrote: »

You just don't get the point do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

sugarman wrote: »
    Being where its placed makes it impossible for it to view the urinals, even if it does rotate 90degrees the pan is also fairly limited.

It looks like the one on our house, you'd be lucky to see someones face while standing at the urinal.
    It's a dome camera so it rotates 360 in most directions. It's right above the urinal so it would have no problem seeing everything that happens at those urinals.

Im pretty sure thats not a camera that rotates. Its just housed in a dome.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    How can you be sure? For the most part if it's in a done it's in there to allow the manufacturers to build a delicate/cheap mechanism and protect it inside a dome. If you where buying this in a shop I'd say maybe your right, but this is coming from a security company that will be using fairly good gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

mmcn90 wrote: »
    How can you be sure? For the most part if it's in a done it's in there to allow the manufacturers to build a delicate/cheap mechanism and protect it inside a dome. If you where buying this in a shop I'd say maybe your right, but this is coming from a security company that will be using fairly good gear.

doesn't matter where you buy them mate they are a static camera. I use them in a store and have used these and pan an tilt before. These units are to small to house a motor unit that is needed to rotate them.

doesn't matter where you buy them mate they are a static camera. I use them in a store and have used these and pan an tilt before. These units are to small to house a motor unit that is needed to rotate them.
    They're not to small, there are tiny motors these days and you can buy rotating cameras that small and smaller. I use these system at work too, you may be right but there's no way to tell unless you go and have a close look. Knowing the security companies that fit these systems though I very much doubt they used the cheapest option and whether it was required or not they'd put in the expensive rotating camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Simple fact, the cameras are there not so ronald mcdonald can have a tommy tank at the mere sight of you taking a ****, its to protect themselves from scumbags suing them from some bull**** compi claim and vandalism.

If you are not comfortable with the cameras, go to another resturant.

The freedom of choice.

Expected retort..."all resturants will have them soon then"

**** at home then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That camera is directly above the urinals facing away from them, and thus incapable, on first look, of recording someone actually having a piss. More likely it's facing the sinks, perhaps the OP will confirm.

If so, it's in compliance with the data protection legislation presuming the owners can provide an example of security breaches, and even that is a "should", not a "must".

They're not to small, there are tiny motors these days and you can buy rotating cameras that small and smaller. I use these system at work too, you may be right but there's no way to tell unless you go and have a close look. Knowing the security companies that fit these systems though I very much doubt they used the cheapest option and whether it was required or not they'd put in the expensive rotating camera.

Yep business spend more money then they need puting in advanced cameras when basic will do. Sure they even pay someone to sit watching them. Don be so bloody stupid its Micky Ds not the boxwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

alot of nightclubs/large bars these days would have camera's in their toilets too especially the gents which can often be a regular location for altercations between customers.
    To be honest as long as they are not looking into the cubicles or the urinals I wouldnt have a problem with them.
    A guy I know was hit with a bottle in the jacks of a dublin nightclub they used the camera footage to find the guy who hit him before he left the club.
    As for people saying its a pan and tilt camera, I'm familiar with these cameras too and I'd really doubt it, I'd say its just a tamper proof case and without actually seeing the feed there is no way any of us can tell if it includes a view of the urinals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Knowing the security companies that fit these systems though I very much doubt they used the cheapest option and whether it was required or not they'd put in the expensive rotating camera.
    No they'd charge for the expensive camera and fit the bog basic one that looks like it! :D

Yep business spend more money then they need puting in advanced cameras when basic will do. Sure they even pay someone to sit watching them. Don be so bloody stupid its Micky Ds not the boxwood
    Of course they often pay more because the people paying the security company haven't the first clue what the difference is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Nhocht wrote: »
    Read the rest of the sentence. I also said "as long as I am not breaking any laws"

True, apoligies

In the picture the camera is right over the urinal, I don't see how it could avoid seeing the urinal. McDonald's aren't fitting these cameras themselves, they hire in a security company and I would wager they'll put in the expensive swivel camera over the more obscure non swivelling camera housed in a swivelling case.

Thats a tamper proof case, the camera is fully housed inside and does not swivel. Ive zoomed in and if memory serves from looking at these cameras before aren't those three reflective dots normally right next to the lens (they could be just a shine, but I've seen cameras wth something similar).

Even if it was swivel I doubt it could have a full 360 and up/down motion in a casing so small. Theres noway that could see the sinks and the urinals.

With regards to the points on children, presuming this camera is only monitoring sinks and who comes and goes from the bathroom etc I would have thought it make the bathroom safer for an unattended child entering the drug addled violent world of a fast food bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Cheezypuf wrote: »
    I'd be straight on to the data protection commissioner. A camera over a urinal is crazy.

It's to stop people fiddling or playing with themselves when they shouldn't be. Pity the people who have to do it. Or they could be like that dude from South Park watching them all on the jax
    - google south park tsa security guard if you wanna see it as on phone here so can't Copy the URL. Worth a look tho ;)

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Thats a tamper proof case, the camera is fully housed inside and does not swivel. Ive zoomed in and if memory serves from looking at these cameras before aren't those three reflective dots normally right next to the lens (they could be just a shine, but I've seen cameras wth something similar).
    Reflections can be LED for nightvision but it's hard to tell.
    Even if it was swivel I doubt it could have a full 360 and up/down motion in a casing so small. Theres noway that could see the sinks and the urinals.
    I don't see why the size of the cover would impede the camera, the size of the dome would have no baring on whether or not the camera can swivel inside.

At this stage the OP really needs to take a hammer to the camera casing to see what's inside it's the only way this argument can be settled. If the OP says it's official boards.ie business they should understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Wattle wrote: »
    Heard a rumor a few years back that the toilets in McDonlads Grafton St was being used for some paedo behaviour.

That's more than just a rumour.
    Apparently Very young children are actually being swapped for others in this branch! It's even blatantly advertised here, and in many places, from the below. Shocking stuff!
    http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/images/product_imgs/full/1203_1_1.gif
    I better contact the Daily Mail to investigate further...

Reflections can be LED for nightvision but it's hard to tell.
    I don't see why the size of the cover would impede the camera, the size of the dome would have no baring on whether or not the camera can swivel inside.

At this stage the OP really needs to take a hammer to the camera casing to see what's inside it's the only way this argument can be settled. If the OP says it's official boards.ie business they should understand.

Jesus that's a brave statement for a mod to make. Is that open to anyone or just the OP :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

It is a terrible invasion of privacy and any argument that it is used as a deterrent is useless as they are not signposted, as Dr Strangelove pointed out- it is not a deterent if no one knows about it.

I was just looking them up and they do have cameras like that (in the trade there known as Pan/Tilt cameras ;)), they have 360 pan and 5 - 90 degree tilt

@OP: Make sure to let us know how the tamper proof casing holds up to your hammer.

I don't know I'm used to the idea of cameras in public bathrooms from working in pubs, its incredibly common, for all I know I could be an internet sensation! :cool:

I was just looking them up and they do have cameras like that (in the trade there known as Pan/Tilt cameras ;)), they have 360 pan and 5 - 90 degree tilt

@OP: Make sure to let us know how the tamper proof casing holds up to your hammer.

I don't know I'm used to the idea of cameras in public bathrooms from working in pubs, its incredibly common, for all I know I could be an internet sensation! :cool:

yes they do exist however the housing unit has to be a tad bigger look at 1 below which is static

http://www.allthingspos.com/samsung/gv-fxdvfa40-fixed-dome-zoom.htm

Now look at this which is Pan/Tilt

http://www.a1securitycameras.com/IQ-CCTV-Cameras-IQCD65HZD10X.html

Different housing for different camera, Besides the pan and tilt is only any good when it is monitored full time and I can't imagine some guy sitting zooming in and zooming out on everyone.
    I would reckon as pointed out that the Camera is pointing at the sink and never reviewed unless a breech of security happens but they still need to have a sign stating its operating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some of us have nothing to ashamed of, re: cock size, so i don't see the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

I would think of the children, but Im court-ordered not to

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's an astoundingly poor grasp of geometry on display in this thread.

yes they do exist however the housing unit has to be a tad bigger look at 1 below which is static

http://www.allthingspos.com/samsung/gv-fxdvfa40-fixed-dome-zoom.htm

Now look at this which is Pan/Tilt

http://www.a1securitycameras.com/IQ-CCTV-Cameras-IQCD65HZD10X.html
    Logitech do a desktop sized webcam with free movement that's even smaller than that camera. The size of the dome has no baring on whether or not it's a rotating camera as they can make the internals any size required.
    Different housing for different camera, Besides the pan and tilt is only any good when it is monitored full time and I can't imagine some guy sitting zooming in and zooming out on everyone.
    They don't have to, a pan and tilt already has remote control built in so it's quiet easy for the recording equipment to put the camera on a predetermined movement left and right or up and down and then make it stop when a motion sensor is tripped. It's a problem we have with one of our cameras at work, it gets a mind of it's own and starts looking off in all sorts of directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Nhocht

There's an astoundingly poor grasp of geometry on display in this thread.

Interesting statement to make. Would you care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It wouldn't make sense to have a pan and tilt, it's in the corner so it's quite likely that it can see most of the 90 degree possible view area. It's unlikely to be facing down as then you'll only get the heads directly under and probably wont see the door or sink areas. Imagine it's like a camera at a match, you never can see the crowd under the camera even though those stands will extend out many metres in front of it, but you have an excellent view of the far stands.

Advertisement