Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber formwork for concrete steps

• 09-05-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all
    A few questions for ya on building entrance steps
    I'm goin to go and make up some timber formwork to pour concrete steps at patio door, front, and rear entrance. I want about 7 or 8 inches fall for each of 2 steps. Whats the best size of timber to get for this. I mean whats the standard. If the standard is say 7x2 then best I go with 7 inch rise. Anyway 8 inch might be a bit much? as in too high?
    What do I get to brush on to timber so concrete doesen't stick to it? I heard cooking oil mentioned by someone? Does this really work?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Espoo wrote: »
    Hi all
    A few questions for ya on building entrance steps
    I'm goin to go and make up some timber formwork to pour concrete steps at patio door, front, and rear entrance. I want about 7 or 8 inches fall for each of 2 steps. Whats the best size of timber to get for this. I mean whats the standard. If the standard is say 7x2 then best I go with 7 inch rise. Anyway 8 inch might be a bit much? as in too high?
    What do I get to brush on to timber so concrete doesen't stick to it? I heard cooking oil mentioned by someone? Does this really work?
    Cheers

Any time I have done this sort of thing at home I have made the formers out of 9 mm ply, cutting strips to the rise that I wanted. The most I have ever done to stop the concrete sticking is to slap on a coat of varnish, although even without it I have not experienced and stiction problems. It's just that the varnish seems to give a better finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

ART6
    Thanks for that. Of course ply would be ideal. Its fairly strong too if
    I support it with plenty of rebar. And its cheap. How much is a 8 x 4 ft sheet?
    Good idea with the varnish
    So I'll get all my formwork in place and get some ready mix. Did you leave it to set for about 4-5 hours before removing the ply and rounding off the steps?

Espoo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cooking oil,grease,varnish or fibreglass mould releasing agent will all work fine.

12-15mm ply and a few 2 x 1 or 2 x 2 wooden stakes will do the job for formwork.

8 x 4 sheet of ply is around 20 euro from a builders provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks Paddy
    I should be able to manage.
    nice pic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Espoo wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy
    I should be able to manage.
    nice pic

Thanks.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement