Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms in the carpet due to dampness

Options
  • 09-05-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am facing the issue of worms in the carpet of the bedroom due to dampness as there was leakage in the pipe that passes by from the outside of our bedroom. so I would like you peoples opinion on this issue. management is going to fix the leakage in few days but can we continue using that carpet? Is it safe for our child. I mean,if the dampness wont be the issue after being solved and the place gets dry,is it still harmful to live in that?

I want some quick replies on this because we need mention this to our landlord and if it is harmful and the landlord doesnt agree to change the carpet we will have to look for another accomodation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Is it a sewage pipe? How can you get worms in the carpet if its just dampness?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If its a leak and will be repaired then the place itself should be fine afterwards. The carpet, on the other hand, won't and should be replaced. In the meantime the carpet should be taken up and removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭maskabun

Is it a sewage pipe? How can you get worms in the carpet if its just dampness?
    not sure what pipe,but its outside the building that is passing by the wall of our bedroom. carpet cleaner said that these worms are due to dampness,was searching on google and got to know that my idea of the reason of worms seems fair

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is rather peculiar.

I would consider talking to the housing department in the local council to get their advice / an inspection. Also the environmental health officers and / or drainage department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I second what Victor has said above. Especially if you have a child living in the house.
    Victor wrote: »
    I would consider talking to the housing department in the local council to get their advice / an inspection. Also the environmental health officers and / or drainage department.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

HI OP
    Any other signs of damp - mould on walls, growth on back side of carpet ?
    Is bedroom on ground floor or floor above ?
    Pipe that is leaking, do you know the colour of the pipe - and approx. what size ? 20mm / 40-50mm / or 100mm ?

In any instance I'd would have the carpet gone -and the child out of the room until the leak is resolved.
    mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are they little silver worms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah, sounds like you may have silverfish

they are white or bit dirty white in colour :rolleyes:

HI OP
    Any other signs of damp - mould on walls, growth on back side of carpet ?
    Is bedroom on ground floor or floor above ?
    Pipe that is leaking, do you know the colour of the pipe - and approx. what size ? 20mm / 40-50mm / or 100mm ?

In any instance I'd would have the carpet gone -and the child out of the room until the leak is resolved.
    mike f
    yes patch on wall and on carpet.bedroom is on first floor. yes spoted some on the backside of the carpet but when turned heating on to help the area dry a bit saw many worms wriggling on the carpet,no idea about what pipe is the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Maggots?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

wyndham wrote: »
    Maggots?

Sounds like it tbh

I'd burn the carpet, to be on the safe side

the management company of our apartments sent a carpet cleaner yesterday and an expert to review the issue, he said MOLDS, not sure what worms though and cleaning the carpet wont help (which they thought will help) and suggested to change the carpet and spray for insecticides or pesticides before that.Awaiting whats going to happen ahead...all decisions has to be made by management and homeowner finally

Mold and worms are very different things.

Can you take pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

maskabun wrote: »
    the management company of our apartments sent a carpet cleaner yesterday and an expert to review the issue, he said MOLDS, not sure what worms though and cleaning the carpet wont help (which they thought will help) and suggested to change the carpet and spray for insecticides or pesticides before that.Awaiting whats going to happen ahead...all decisions has to be made by management and homeowner finally

tbh, if I would have worms in my carpet and having a little child, I wouldn't wait a minute for any decision of the management company or the landlord. the carpet would be out of the window, nobody can tell you to keep a carpet with worms in your apartment if it's not due to your own fault.

can anyone shed some light on how much time does it actually take to solve the leakage problem particularly if you know where the leakage is? it has been 3 weeks from now and nothing seems to be done as the area is still damp and so are the walls.I know dehumidifier will do the exact work but will i know for sure if the leakage is done by any means?

sorry for being crazy but i am getting crazy with this issue now. and yes they are ready to change the carpet

regarding my update on the issue, we have finally decided to move out and have given notice for the same as well, as there hasnt been a solution to the dampness issue yet.the dehumidifier has been placed since saturday means last 5 or 6 days but there is still dampness on the carpet, am also concerned about the fast rolling meter to be honest.

As it was decided to change the carpet we got the quote for the same on the instructions of the landlord,now I am concerned that even though the dampness still persist the landlord wants us to place an order for the carpet :confused: .what i think is there is no point in doing that but he is very firm on his decision,how long should i go with this issue now as i am leaving the property? and our landlords (both of them) are not in ireland at present since a week should we go ahead and place a order or not? what about the dampness then,would we be in any fault if things doesnt go happily between both parties?

It is the landlord's problem. Let them order the carpet.

If they are resident outside Ireland, you are meant to be withholding part of the rent and passing it to the Revenue Commissioners.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Victor wrote: »
    It is the landlord's problem. Let them order the carpet.

If they are resident outside Ireland, you are meant to be withholding part of the rent and passing it to the Revenue Commissioners.

Not sure I understand how the tenant is responsible for the landlords tax liability - ?

To the OP - I don't see any issue if you've been in communication with the landlord in regard to the issue of the dampness and the resulting damage to the carpet.
    The damage was not caused by your action, and the untimely response by your landlord to resolve - allowed a health and safety / or risk to the occupants to occur - through the damp & the worms. I assume you have emails of the communication between yourself and landlord, - so I don't think the landlord has much of a leg to stand on.
    mike f:)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Not sure I understand how the tenant is responsible for the landlords tax liability - ?

To the OP - I don't see any issue if you've been in communication with the landlord in regard to the issue of the dampness and the resulting damage to the carpet.
    The damage was not caused by your action, and the untimely response by your landlord to resolve - allowed a health and safety / or risk to the occupants to occur - through the damp & the worms. I assume you have emails of the communication between yourself and landlord, - so I don't think the landlord has much of a leg to stand on.
    mike f:)

really! but do you think there is much of say for the tenants as per law? I mean does law favours much towards landlords or tenants?

• Advertisement
Advertisement