Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tractor with no vehicle registration cert

• 09-05-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I am trying to sell my late father's tractor. However, I have just realised he has no vehicle registration cert for it. He bought it 2 years ago I don't think he really used it in that time.
    I contacted dept. in shannon and they said he never taxed it that's why he has no cert. But how can I sell it now with this situation.
    Insurance has run out since he died. Can I tax or insure something that is not in my name? Or is it possible to sell it without the cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭royalmeath

Hi
    I had a similar problem after my brother past away last year regarding his car. Firstly you cannot insure a vehicle you have no insurable interest in so
    if you want to insure you would have to transfer the car into your own name. Secondly do not worry about back tax on the tractor you can simply
    go to your local Garda station and pick up a change of ownership form, then when you find a buyer fill out your fathers details and sign it in his name, then forward the completed application to the address on the form
    and drop it in the post and your problem is solved
    Best of luck with your sale

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eamomum

Thanks for your advice. I called into motor tax office today and they gave me the change of ownership form you mentioned. On the sale of the vehicle the buyer fills it out and sends it to shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭9935452

eamomum wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. I called into motor tax office today and they gave me the change of ownership form you mentioned. On the sale of the vehicle the buyer fills it out and sends it to shannon.

Is there number plates on the tractor. If there isn't and there is no log book the tractor probably isn't registered. if it isn't registered you cant do a change of ownership as it isn't registered to anyone.

There is no problem insuring it using a engine number or selling it .
    You dont need a logbook to sell a tractor.

Have a look at this article
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/viewgalleryspecial.php?newsid=15

Advertisement