Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choices, LC Business?

• 09-05-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Im going in to 5th year in September, and got my subject options last week, and I got 3 out of the 4 I wanted, but the last row of options have kinda screwed me over..
    I have a choice of Business, History or Engineering, when I really wanted Geography to be there :(

Ive never done Business before, I hate History (with a severe passion) and Engineering? Just no...

I know they say Business is ok to pick up without JC Business, but from an actual students point of view would anybody have any advice on what I should do? Would I get away with doing business so I dont have to suffer through History (which I know wont go well...)

What does the course involve? Whats the exam like?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

History and business are definitely my least favourite subjects, but history moreso. If I could go back in time I wouldnt have done business, its hard to do well in because of the marking scheme :/ On the other hand geography is really easy for the most part and definitely easier than business.

Is there anything else you can do? Maybe switch something like biology for geography, then pick business in the last slot if you know what I mean? Those last 3 arent very enticing I have to say :eek:

Business is interesting but at times its mind-numbingly boring. The exam is nice enough with lots of choice but something like economics would be much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Patchy~ wrote: »
    History and business are definitely my least favourite subjects, but history moreso. If I could go back in time I wouldnt have done business, its hard to do well in because of the marking scheme :/ On the other hand geography is really easy for the most part and definitely easier than business.

Is there anything else you can do? Maybe switch something like biology for geography, then pick business in the last slot if you know what I mean? Those last 3 arent very enticing I have to say :eek:

Business is interesting but at times its mind-numbingly boring. The exam is nice enough with lots of choice but something like economics would be much nicer.
    See the three other subjects I got were the three I reallllyyy wanted, Biology, Physics and Spanish, and I want those because I want to do science in college, geography was only really something I wanted as a 'filler' subject, as it was my next preferred subject.

My school is kinda rubbishy and doesnt do economics or accounting or applied maths or phys/chem or chem, so I had a bit of a limited choice to choose from, so its really down to me either doing History or Business, and at the moment Im leaning towards picking business, but before I make my mind up I kinda want to find out a bit more about whats actually covered in it and stuff, because Ive never done it before :o

I'd definitely do business over history any day :pac: There are 7 units in it. 1st is all about people and contracts and stakeholders, and I cant remember the exact layout of each unit but its interesting enough stuff like how to market, industrial relations, technology's impact on business, the EU impact on Ireland...a lot of it is common sense or can be waffled. :P

On the other hand you'll get to do an Irish document book for history, which means the majority of the course for you will be European/wider world history, which is actually really interesting. :) But the exam is a nightmare and the course is huge; out of the 3 I'd say business is definitely your best option. Have a flick through a business book and get a feel for it, see if you like it :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'd definitely do business over history any day :pac: There are 7 units in it. 1st is all about people and contracts and stakeholders, and I cant remember the exact layout of each unit but its interesting enough stuff like how to market, industrial relations, technology's impact on business, the EU impact on Ireland...a lot of it is common sense or can be waffled. :P

On the other hand you'll get to do an Irish document book for history, which means the majority of the course for you will be European/wider world history, which is actually really interesting. :) But the exam is a nightmare and the course is huge; out of the 3 I'd say business is definitely your best option. Have a flick through a business book and get a feel for it, see if you like it :)
    Hmmm ok doesnt sound too bad :o

I really hated modern history for the JC, but I loved ancient history, so I was a bit annoyed when I found out what the LC syllabus was like :/ :L

Might go out and have a look at a few Business books so, Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 apocalypseDG

Firstly I don't wanna be the one luring you into taking a subject you're going to hate but...

I did Technology for JC and Engineering looks quite similar. I also did Business for JC. I know that you're doing three sciences.

Based off of that engineering would be way easier I think because its closer to science than Business is. However, its a practical subject and if you hate that sort of stuff, well, sucks to be you:(. I'm not doing either but I do think that you would have a project hanging over you if you went with engineering, but there'd be way more study for Business.

However have you seen the engineering paper? It looks so easy. Might just be deceivingly designed :confused:

Also, engineering grades are better than Business grades.

I feel for you having to do these subjects:(. I'm only in TY so the above are just my thoughts, not experience:pac:

• Advertisement

Oh well theres actually another syllabus for ancient history :O But no one really does it at all, and I'm pretty sure there arent even any books for it. :(

No problem :)

Firstly I don't wanna be the one luring you into taking a subject you're going to hate but...

I did Technology for JC and Engineering looks quite similar. I also did Business for JC. I know that you're doing three sciences.

Based off of that engineering would be way easier I think because its closer to science than Business is. However, its a practical subject and if you hate that sort of stuff, well, sucks to be you:(. I'm not doing either but I do think that you would have a project hanging over you if you went with engineering, but there'd be way more study for Business.

However have you seen the engineering paper? It looks so easy. Might just be deceivingly designed :confused:

Also, engineering grades are better than Business grades.

I feel for you having to do these subjects:(. I'm only in TY so the above are just my thoughts, not experience:pac:
    Hmmm thanks for that, but tbh Ive never done any subjects like that before, and Im pretty bad at Metalwork and Woodwork and the like, so I dont really think engineering would be my sorta thingg :L

Im good at learning crap off, and not so good at doing stuff, so I suppose Business is my best option :P

My school really fecked me over with all this... it suits nearly everybody else but me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 apocalypseDG

At least you wont have to do bookkeeping. Having done Bus. even in TY I was sooo tired of bookkeeping. Incredibly dull part of the course.
    Luckily for you, its not on the LC:rolleyes:
    The rest isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

I was sooo tired of bookkeeping. Incredibly dull part of the course.
    Luckily for you, its not on the LC

Accounting (LC subject) has quite a bit of bookkeeping

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

business is boring and **** lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I would say business is easier than history, i got a higher C1 i think, with no effort. Meanwhile i have seen my friends have to stick up with history and they seemed to really work hard on it.

Now what i would say, consider which one will be more useful to you in college, ofc if you don't like history, you wont need it in college, but both business and engineering give you a base for very good high earning jobs, with real life application. So whichever you might have more interest would be a good choice just in case in 6th year you're stuck with your CAO or suddenly decide that you like a business related course or engineering.

Note: the LC business does not follow on to where the JC left off. So you will be quite fine without doing JC, and lets face it, the biggest part of JC business was accounting, now that's gone into a separate subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Seeing that everyones on Business' side, I'm gonna stick up for History. I love the subject. Along with Music and English it's definetly in my favourites! People say it's hard and boring but as with every subject if you have a genuine interest in it it's for the most part a really interesting course! If your good at learning off stuff and are reasonably good at English I reckon if you put in the work you could do well in History! But hey, that's just imho. Business is probably an easier subject at the end of the day but imho far less enjoyable :p Anyways, there's my two cents :D

Advertisement