Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Flash Security

• 09-05-2012 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I want to put some sensitive data on my usb flash drive. It is just personal data I want to keep a copy of while abroad.

I have been reading about some encryption softwares such as Truecrypt and encryptstick.com

However, I am concerned about using my USB flash drive on an infected windows computer. Is there a portable antivirus / firewall type solution I can laod onto the flash drive that will keep it clean?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 InquiringMind

I think the only easy solution to your problem is to purchase a SD/MicroSD Memory card. These have a slide on the side that can set the card to read only so nothing can write to your card. You can still access all your files and then set it to write mode on any pc your reasonably sure is virus free. The only drawback is you have to bring along a card reader, but there are some very small card readers available.

Hope this helps

Strong advice would be not to decrypt and view files on a PC you not too sure about (because of keyloggers etc).

If you have Windows 7, you can use bit locker, which (by default I believe) uses 128AES(I think it's possible to use 256bit). Will be secure enough if you use a strong pass phrase.

I have mine encrypted using bit locker and never had any problems. Only problem is it has to be a Windows machine to be able to decrypt it.

Another solution could be CloudFogger, and only encrypt specific files, not the entire USB stick. And store these files on the USB, again a problem would be you need CloudFogger on the PC to decrypt the files.

Edit:
    After a quick google, this came up. Might by useful to you. Set a USB to read only. Don't know if it would work if device is encrypted though.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/switch-usb-drive-to-read-only-mode-wenovo-usb-disks-access-manager/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thanks guys.

As a consumer I am surprised that there is no "best" solution out there. Kasperspy and I think Avast have portable versions of their antivirus that can be stored on a usb, but its purpose is for cleaning infected PCs, not the USB drive! But I understand there may be difficulties in developing such a software, but I haven't the expertise to know why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Truecrypt -> Select File -> Mount -> Mount Options -> Mount volume as read only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I think the only easy solution to your problem is to purchase a SD/MicroSD Memory card. These have a slide on the side that can set the card to read only so nothing can write to your card. You can still access all your files and then set it to write mode on any pc your reasonably sure is virus free. The only drawback is you have to bring along a card reader, but there are some very small card readers available.

Hope this helps

Unfortunately, that switch doesn't do anything to block access. It's just like the write protect tab on a floppy (remember those?) The reader must honour it or it makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Sensitive data... Flash drives... No. Don't do it. Seriously.

A far more effective solution, which even negates the infected-flash-drive problem, is to encrypt the documents and upload them to a file server YOU control. Have them behind .htaccess at least, or, god forbid, even throw them on Dropbox in a non-public folder. It is a far more effective solution than carrying around an easily lost or stolen USB drive. We all know how many of those flash drives go missing...

As for the encryption, use TrueCrypt or similar to encrypt the files as a .zip or RAR. then if REALLY paranoid you can use 7zip to re encrypt the archives (and compress them more).

Advertisement