Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like to run...

Options
  • 09-05-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I've decided to start one of these to mainly view my progress.

I started running in March when I went back to Ireland as my brother was running. I struggled with 6ks and was tired but was doing them in around 31/32 minutes. Any longer and I was nearly walking the last bit.

Since the two months I've improved quite a bit with my 6ks coming in around 29/30 while I run 10k in around 50.

My brother runs the 10k in around 46 minutes so my goal is going to be 46 minutes to try beat him.You got to love competition between family member!

So far this week I did a 16k on Monday but didn't want to time this is as I knew it'd be slow. I then did a 6k today after my legs feeling tired.

I have a watch arriving this weekend so will be able to provide proper times then and I also think it'll motivated me quite a lot. One of the things I struggle with is pace so I'm hoping the watch will help that.

I'm going to try update this after every run and hopefully potentially running 10k in 46minutes and we'll see what happens after that..

One question is how do people decide how far they run? Is it how the feel while running or decide beforehand? Like my 16k I was running with others slowly for the first 8k then on the spur of the moment did an average 8k after. While today I set out to do 6k.

Let the running continue :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

NoelJ wrote: »

I'm going to try update this after every run and hopefully potentially running 10k in 46minutes and we'll see what happens after that..

One question is how do people decide how far they run? Is it how the feel while running or decide beforehand? Like my 16k I was running with others slowly for the first 8k then on the spur of the moment did an average 8k after. While today I set out to do 6k.

Let the running continue :)

Good luck with the log Noel. Your target is 10km in 46mins. I would suggest you download a 10k training program and stick to it, have a look at both beginner and intermediate, see which you think might suit you. There are many online. Going out randomly running different distances at different paces is not the way forward. You should be thinking of doing 1 long slow run (e.g. building from 10k-16k), 1 tempo (steady pace run over certain distance i.e. 5 / 6 km for you) and 1 x speed session every week, possibly a few recovery easy runs on other days if time allows or maybe cycling/swimming/gym. H.T.H.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Thanks mumontherun. I'll keep that in mind when I start properly training for the 10k.

I ran my first run with a watch. I think I calibrated it wrong as the distance seems off.

Distance : 5.34 ( Google maps says 5.8 though which I think its more correct)
    Time : 28:13
    Pace : 5:17

Its not a bad start even if it is 5.34 but hopefully its more around the 5.8. I'll try calibrate it right next time out. Injured my leg a bit so gonna run on Tuesday next or Thursday depending how I feel.

I decided to go for another run today as I wanted to check out how my shin was and It was a lovely day out here.

I did a 3.56km in 17:17 with a pace of 4:51. I was quite happy with this as my shin felt sore. I'm going to give it a rest for a day and try again on Tuesday then run on Thursday as well if all goes to plan.

I'm getting quite into running and finding it weird when I go more than 2 days without running. I feel healthier and am considering the food that goes into my body now. The only thing that isn't going is the love handles but sure they'll go with time!

Well I went for another run today and I ended up doing a half marathon :)

It was a 22.9km run in 2:20:15 with a pace of 6:07.

I'm very proud of myself in doing this considering I only started running about 2 months ago. My knee feels kind of sore but I'm sure it'll be fine in a day or two. Also I'm going to the Heineken Cup so will be able to take the next 5 days off if I don't go for a short run before..

I only stopped once and that was to tie my shoelace. I thought it was going to be impossible to start once I'd given by legs a break but I got back into it so was proud that I didn't have to stop. I'm kind of annoyed at the time but for my first one I guess its not too bad?

Its pushed me to consider doing the actual marathon now as I've gone over half way so why not just push myself and do a real one.

Advertisement