Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Turn at Ballybane Indust Estate

Options
  • 09-05-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hello guys

Just wondering what bu's will be using the new Bus Turn at Ballybane Indust Estate...does anyone know is there a Shelter as such going there

I know the ballbrit bus used to turn on the round about so suppose it will prob turn at this stop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There is one with a shelter on the Castlepark Rd near the church, if that's where you mean. And further down on the same road close to GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    There is one with a shelter on the Castlepark Rd near the church, if that's where you mean. And further down on the same road close to GMIT.
    No he means the newly constructed one north of the traffic lights in the industrial estate beside the ESB sub station. It was put in so the bus that used to turn around on the roundabout can use it and pick up/drop off passengers at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yer man! wrote: »
    No he means the newly constructed one north of the traffic lights in the industrial estate beside the ESB sub station. It was put in so the bus that used to turn around on the roundabout can use it and pick up/drop off passengers at the same time.

That's the 403 - Ballybrit, and you may well be right.

But Bus Eireann's network map, and the journey planner details for route 405, give me some hope that the 405 might go up there too. (3 of them every hour, and they go into town via Liosban ... very useful).

I guess someone in Bus Éireann knows, but they're not telling.

Looking forward to it though, and like the OP wondering if there will be a shelter there. (Sensibly there should be, but I can't see space for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

same new roads lights everything the same except for a bus corridor that nobody will use, only frustrated drivers!
    Galway county council should be ashamed of themselves.planning what planning!!!
    the westside dual lane/bus lane (whatever the feck it is!) is a shambles still and as yet remains unfinished!joke

new traffic lights at roundabouts wont hold my breath on those being finished before the summer(races) the council have old-timers working that are a year off retirement.

it really is a head in hands anytime you want to get from west to east in Galway city.

How do these people plan really???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    same new roads lights everything the same except for a bus corridor that nobody will use, only frustrated drivers!
    Galway county council should be ashamed of themselves.planning what planning!!!
    the westside dual lane/bus lane (whatever the feck it is!) is a shambles still and as yet remains unfinished!joke

new traffic lights at roundabouts wont hold my breath on those being finished before the summer(races) the council have old-timers working that are a year off retirement.

it really is a head in hands anytime you want to get from west to east in Galway city.

How do these people plan really???
    Bad day...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I think that stop is just for the HP Bus.
    I think when a Bus Eireann bus comes up the Monivea Road by Eircom the Traffic Lights will detect a Transponder in the bus and all lights will go red allowing the bus to go straight across the Ballybane Road and up to the Monivea Road by Windsor Motors.
    Big PDF:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_02.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

I dont understand why there is not a regualr bus into this estate..with 2 big multinational compnays working there and HP expanding....

One of ballybane or ballyrot should go in there turn ant new bus turn./..

sgthighway wrote: »

But the HP bus already has a very nice place to turn around, up by HP. No need to change that, especially since there's a nice big foyer up there to wait in on wet days.

I'm remaining optimistic about the 405 ...

liam12989 wrote: »
    I dont understand why there is not a regualr bus into this estate..with 2 big multinational compnays working there and HP expanding....

One of ballybane or ballyrot should go in there turn ant new bus turn./..

Exactly. Three multi-nationals actually (Boston, HP, APC) and a fair few other companies too. Lack of a serice in the past is due to sheer lack of imagination and common-sense from the state-owned bus operator, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

sgthighway wrote: »
    I think when a Bus Eireann bus comes up the Monivea Road by Eircom the Traffic Lights will detect a Transponder in the bus and all lights will go red allowing the bus to go straight across the Ballybane Road and up to the Monivea Road by Windsor Motors.
    Big PDF:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_02.pdf
    Hmm, I see that lane will be 'Bus only'. They're being optimistic if they think cars won't use it to skip across onto the Monivea Road. Plenty of people ignore the no right turn rule as it is and now with the demise of the roundabout even the law abiding who now go around the roundabout and back can't do that anymore. It's going to be messy.

The law abiding can go thru the lights and turn at the new bus stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They changed that so it's not bus only any more.
    It was part of their public consultation.
    Would have been nice if they had updated the plans online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The link that sgthighway posted does not show it as Bus Only?http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_02.pdf
    (edit - realise now that the reference earlier is to the Bus Gate on the R339 Monivea Road - and not the Bus turning facility to the North of the junction)
    Also they have decided NOT to install dished kerbing at this bus gate facility to and from the central island. People will not walk around it. Why do they always get the simple basics wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

JustMary wrote: »
    The law abiding can go thru the lights and turn at the new bus stop.
    Like all the trucks are doing now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Anything the city council "planning" dept can get wrong they will get wrong with great aplomb with two hands clasped around it!

idiota!!!

Based on a Bus Eireann notice that I saw in Bohermore during the week, it looks like the 405 - Ballybane is now going into Ballybrit Industrial Estate to turn around.

Details: http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.ie/2012/08/route-change-for-bus-405-ballybane.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cazkeady

Ya, it's definitely the 405 - Ballybane bus that is servicing this route now

Bumping this thread.

Is this galwaycity.ie; Public Notice on Provision and Maintenance of Bus Shelters in the City
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/030713_04.html

finally mean there will be a shelter at the Bus Turn at Ballybane Industrial Estate?

Also wonder why the 405 bus does not actually go in further and turn at HP or Boston?

Bumping this thread.

Is this galwaycity.ie; Public Notice on Provision and Maintenance of Bus Shelters in the City
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/030713_04.html

finally mean there will be a shelter at the Bus Turn at Ballybane Industrial Estate?

Also wonder why the 405 bus does not actually go in further and turn at HP or Boston?

Ahh, which of
    • Shangort Road (1 No. Stop),
    • Knocknacarra Road (1 No. Stop) Fr Griffin Road (1 No. Stop)
    • Dublin Road (1 No. Stop)
    • Monivea Road (1 No. Stop)
    do you think is in the Ballybane Industrial Estate? (Technically I think it's Ballybrit Business Park that the 405 turns around in ... but that's a minor detail).

It ain't Monivea Rd, which runs at right angles to the road into the estate.

As to why the bus doesn't go right in to the estate ... I think the answer is that BE don't like going into estates. They were forced to go into this one by the RAB being removed, and are probably still in shock at the number of people who catch the bus there. Probably neither HP or Boston would want public buses turning around on their grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The bus could turn around and wait at the rear of Tony Burke Motors Toyota there is loads of room there, its a shambles for people who use public transport on a wet morning to be dropped off so far from their jobs getting wet as they run from the bus to their workplace, and getting wet again in the evening when they have to go down to where the bus is to go home. Surely it should terminate and start in the area where the people who use are working.:mad:

Ahh, which of
    • Shangort Road (1 No. Stop),
    • Knocknacarra Road (1 No. Stop) Fr Griffin Road (1 No. Stop)
    • Dublin Road (1 No. Stop)
    • Monivea Road (1 No. Stop)
    do you think is in the Ballybane Industrial Estate?

:D
    Asking a question that I already knew the answer too!

Shocking that when they where building this recent Bus Turn - they did not put in a shelter. Terminus Bus Stop and all. Believe same situation at the other end of the 405. Terminus Stop at B&Q has no Shelter either.

Re not going into the estate. Have same scenario for the 403 and 409. One could service Parkmore East and the other Parkmore West.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The bus could turn around and wait at the rear of Tony Burke Motors Toyota there is loads of room there, its a shambles for people who use public transport on a wet morning to be dropped off so far from their jobs getting wet as they run from the bus to their workplace, and getting wet again in the evening when they have to go down to where the bus is to go home. Surely it should terminate and start in the area where the people who use are working.:mad:

Oh I agree totally.

But it seems that the people who run the state-owned bus company which gets a subsidy for most Galway City routes don't.

The other week I was on the 405 Ballybane. At the first GMIT stop the driver yelled twice at the 15-ish passengers "next stop SuperValu". My guess is that she thought we were being dickheads and going to push the bell to get off at the 2nd GMIT stop (ie around the corner ... diagonally about 10 metres from the first one!) - because "sure'n where else would we be going". She looked very surprised when no one moved, no one got off at SuperValu, and we all got off at the end and headed to work. Probably had no idea that there are probably 3-4 thousand people who work in the estate.

Like someone else said, Parkmore is the other mad one: East isn't so bad, but it's a good 10-15 minute walk down to the end of Parkmore West. A bus would whip down there in no time, and it'd be so much more convenient for people. But no ... drop at the estate entrance is the rule here :mad:

Oh I agree totally.

But it seems that the people who run the state-owned bus company which gets a subsidy for most Galway City routes don't.

Like someone else said, Parkmore is the other mad one: East isn't so bad, but it's a good 10-15 minute walk down to the end of Parkmore West. A bus would whip down there in no time, and it'd be so much more convenient for people. But no ... drop at the estate entrance is the rule here :mad:

How do we bring about this change? Lobby local Cllr's ? TD's?

Parkmore is IDA land, presume they also have repsonsibility for the roads as well or are they under the control of the City Council?
    What about Ballybane Industrial Estate? Are the roads into the estate under City or Private/Semi State Ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Maybe contact Padraig Conneeley he was very much into this kind of thing, blast Bus Eireann with calls to change, the number of times I have seen passengers waiting in the rain is just crazy, you do the right thing by getting the bus then they drop you and collect you in the middle of nowhere, stupid

Advertisement