Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science UCD or Computer Applications DCU?

• 09-05-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I know there are a few posts like this, but anyway! I'm in 6th year and have narrowed my top CAO choice down between Computer science and Computer Applications.... any information on which is better in your opinion and why would be great! I'm starting to veer towards computer applications as it is... Will be posting this in the UCD forum also! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

UCD has a pretty poor reputation for Computer Applications, not to say it's awful but it certainly wouldn't be held in the same light as DIT's,Trinity and DCU's program.

At the end of the day DCU offers you the chance of building up a relationship with employers throughout your time there, we'v regularly gotten job offerings aimed at 1st and 2nd years during the summer time and of course with a 6 Month Intra placement it's quite likely you'll be walking into a job with a employer you know when you finish college.

As for the course itself it's adequate for what it sets out to achieve BUT and this is crucial, computing is such a vast topic that changes every day, to get the best out of your degree id advise that you further your studies in different computing practices during your time in college (irrespective of your college choice). I can guarantee you that you'll be faced with new ideas and technology once you start working so if your a person who feels like "Ill just do as required" ill warn you that those skills will only go so far in the working world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Monkeyloops

Stev_o wrote: »
    UCD has a pretty poor reputation for Computer Applications, not to say it's awful but it certainly wouldn't be held in the same light as DIT's,Trinity and DCU's program.

At the end of the day DCU offers you the chance of building up a relationship with employers throughout your time there, we'v regularly gotten job offerings aimed at 1st and 2nd years during the summer time and of course with a 6 Month Intra placement it's quite likely you'll be walking into a job with a employer you know when you finish college.

As for the course itself it's adequate for what it sets out to achieve BUT and this is crucial, computing is such a vast topic that changes every day, to get the best out of your degree id advise that you further your studies in different computing practices during your time in college (irrespective of your college choice). I can guarantee you that you'll be faced with new ideas and technology once you start working so if your a person who feels like "Ill just do as required" ill warn you that those skills will only go so far in the working world.

Thanks for the information! I'm pretty sure I'll be heading to DCU now both for the more practical approach and the links it has with the industry. Did you study in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Thanks for the information! I'm pretty sure I'll be heading to DCU now both for the more practical approach and the links it has with the industry. Did you study in DCU?

i am currently studying CA in dcu and it's a great course. It is one of the few courses available that can boast a 100% employment rate so you're safe for work afterwards. the course itself covers a broad spectrum of computer subjects and is very hands on. There are exams for the first two years with coding projects throughout the year and lab sessions every week. the same for second year but in third year, you have one semester of examined modules then a big coding project. for the second semester you have a 6 month work placement to give you an idea what the industry is like. and fourth year is like the first two but very heavily focused on project work.
    the one downside to the course is the drop out rate. it's huge. more than 50% of the class will drop out after year one. It is a difficult course but if you're interested in computers and want to follow a career in them, i would definitely recommend this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

In general, Computer Applications in DCU can be considered one of the toughest in the college, due to the massive drop out rate. I've just finished first year in CA, and overall it's been an incredibly interesting course. We've covered basic web design, some Java programming, introduction to operating systems and system hardware, as well as maths and things like that.
    If you're considering the course, I would advise visiting the college, if possible. The general feel of DCU, and talking to people on the open day about the course is what finalised my decision.
    Don't just consider the points required for the course. There is a very large drop out rate, which seems to stem from either people not researching the course and just firing it onto the CAO, or not applying themselves within the course. You should also be away of the Maths element of the course, the Maths in first year is slightly higher than Higher level. You are taught it, but it can be quite difficult to grasp. (I struggled a little with it, despite scoring high at the OL LC course.)
    Finally, if you have the time, take a small look at Java as a language. You'll be dealing with it all through first year and a bit in second year too, so it is a large part of your course. You don't necessarily have to code it, but just glance over the very basics for maybe five minutes.
    Good luck in the Leaving Cert, and with making your final CAO choices. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

I'm always curious about the image of CA as a 'difficult'. I'd put it on par with a lot of other courses in DCU, if not - at the very least - the majority in science and engineering. I think its reputation is more of an indictment of the calibre of students applying for it than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Tiroskan wrote: »
    I'm always curious about the image of CA as a 'difficult'. I'd put it on par with a lot of other courses in DCU, if not - at the very least - the majority in science and engineering. I think its reputation is more of an indictment of the calibre of students applying for it than anything else.

I would agree with you on that. A lot of people from Humanities and Business keep telling me that I'm in the toughest course, which I would have also said were the science courses, which are pretty in depth and difficult looking to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

polkabunny wrote: »
    I would agree with you on that. A lot of people from Humanities and Business keep telling me that I'm in the toughest course, which I would have also said were the science courses, which are pretty in depth and difficult looking to me.

Id say it's tougher then a few other courses because it's so different to most courses but that wouldnt make it the hardest course in the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Stev_o wrote: »
    Id say it's tougher then a few other courses because it's so different to most courses but that wouldnt make it the hardest course in the college.

I'd say Engineering courses would be the Hardest, followed by Science and Computing courses, Business courses and then arts. That would be my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Aye, fantastic course with what I would regard as a pretty up to date curriculum (ok assembly maybe not up to date but important in understanding how programming actually works) and certainly not the most difficult undergrad course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saljoga

From my experience and being a continuing student in DCU for past 6 years and knowing people in different colleges studying computer science. I guess the best choice is neither UCD or DCU. you should consider Computer Science in DIT, your guaranteed more then either DCU or UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Saljoga wrote: »
    From my experience and being a continuing student in DCU for past 6 years and knowing people in different colleges studying computer science. I guess the best choice is neither UCD or DCU. you should consider Computer Science in DIT, your guaranteed more then either DCU or UCD

From what I've read in the DIT forum, that course isn't great. It's a while since I've read about it but apparently the facilities are awful/non existent although the lecturers are meant to be good.

Not sure if it's true, just what I read. It's still on my CAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dipak

Saljoga wrote: »

Hi Saljoga,

I have offers from UCD, DCU, DIT, and UCC for masters in Data Science/ Data Analytics course. I am planning to drop UCD because of finance arrangements, all other courses have approximate same fees. Please suggest me that in present where which institute should I opt for data science course?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foFox

I graduated with a CA degree a year ago, here are my thoughts :

It isn't THAT hard. The drop out rate is caused by the simple fact that people have wrong expectations / wrong idea of what CS / SE degree really is about. Hence, they try it for a semester or two, and then they say, 'I had enough'. Don't get me wrong, it is not an easy degree to get either. Especially towards the end, you have a lot of challenging modules + the final year project. So it becomes as much about time management as it is about your technical ability.

It is a fairly good degree, not Stanford / MIT by any measure, but if you are willing to put in extra work, in addition to the curriculum, you will be very competitive on the job market. Let me put it this way, they will give you a foundation, on which you can build on. What you do with that is your thing. Looking back, joining the program was a very good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OL.LC.Grinds

I agree with majority of what was said above, but one other thing you should consider if you wish to do a self taught masters/funding the undergraduate course in UCD is very research based, so it sets you up well as well as all the resources and funding available in UCD for research.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jamezzyboyoo

If anyone has any questions about Computer Applications in DCU, feel free to pm me :) I'm one of the Class Reps so I'll have no problem telling you about CA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hithesh

dipak wrote: »
    Hi Saljoga,

I have offers from UCD, DCU, DIT, and UCC for masters in Data Science/ Data Analytics course. I am planning to drop UCD because of finance arrangements, all other courses have approximate same fees. Please suggest me that in present where which institute should I opt for data science course?

Hi Dipak, that's really great !! Have you picked your college?....please let me kno on the same....I'm in the same state....Kindly help

Advertisement