Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diageo rigged micro-brewers award.

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Give publicans the right to brew beer because there are too few at it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hate Diageo with a passion. They are nothing more than a money making racket. No one company should be legally allowed to own so many brands, most of which are $hite anyway. They recently introduced us to their new Smithwicks Pale Ale, describing it as a "craft beer" :pac::D I dont know which was worse - the taste of the beer or the fact they claimed it to be a craft beer!

Brewdog on the other hand, are a breath of fresh air. More power to them and the craft brewing industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sky King wrote: »
    Beer lines are allocated according to the publicans preference and installations are grant aided by the three main breweries on this basis. There's no 'limit' to the number of lines in a pub, and breweries don't 'battle for them'. The only limit is the physical space for the beer line python and of course the beer cooler capacity (though there's nothing stopping the publican adding a plug-in flash cooler at their bar if there's no space in the main line cooler).

And as for other breweries 'damaging beer lines' that's just plain daft.

That's fine for an original instillation but not down the road when you have a limited amount of lines and you want to remove Bud and Carlsberg to replace with craft beers. Obviously Diageo will provide you with incentives (free kegs) to hold on to same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Not drinking Diageo brands anymore. It sickens me to think that such a massive, profitable corporation could try to damage such a small competitor with such spite and ruthlessness. I've been drinking Guinness for 20 years. Not anymore. Besides, I know there are much better stouts out there now that they've f**ked Guinness up beyond recognition. Vive la revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Besides, I know there are much better stouts out there now that they've f**ked Guinness up beyond recognition.

It has become so bland. The Budweisers of stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Not drinking Diageo brands anymore. It sickens me to think that such a massive, profitable corporation could try to damage such a small competitor with such spite and ruthlessness. I've been drinking Guinness for 20 years. Not anymore. Besides, I know there are much better stouts out there now that they've f**ked Guinness up beyond recognition. Vive la revolution.

what is your stout of choice now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

eth0 wrote: »
    what is your stout of choice now?

I like O'Hara's and Porterhouse plain. Got some really nice ones from Oddbins recently who's names escape me. Still many left to try. And try I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Best stout-O'Haras.

Best porter-Dark Arts. Yum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Whatever you think about Luke Flanagan, he made a great point about alcohol sales and the local economy: his constituency (Roscommon/South Leitrim) spent almost 15 million on draught beer and stout in 2010. Imagine the impact if all of that money was to remain in the area, via local craft breweries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I like O'Hara's and Porterhouse plain. Got some really nice ones from Oddbins recently who's names escape me. Still many left to try. And try I will.
    Amazing.
    Amazing.
    Amazing.

On-topic: Grrr, how dare Diageo do this, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

skoomi wrote: »
    Scummy tactics:

The story from BrewDog themselves:

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog

EDIT: Fixed link.

'fcukin hell!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    It's not completely unbelieveable that it could happen though. Let's face it, pubs are quietier and Diageo and Heineken are often refusing to travel to rural pubs to drop 1/2 kegs. Local breweries can pick up the slack. Also, most pubs have identical stock, can you imagine if every restaurant had the same menu? Pubs greatly need to diversify and provide alternatives to the pub next door.

True, but the craft brewers are having issues regarding distribution too. There's also the brand loyalty, which in fairness is more a case of "the devil you know".

If bars outside of the craft pubs could be bothered to market craft beers - by that i mean more than "what are you having" when a punter arrives at the bar - they may steal a march on the larger commercial brewers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Whatever you think about Luke Flanagan, he made a great point about alcohol sales and the local economy: his constituency (Roscommon/South Leitrim) spent almost 15 million on draught beer and stout in 2010. Imagine the impact if all of that money was to remain in the area, via local craft breweries?
    That's a great point, you should write it in an email and send it to Ming, he could try and push for some sort of reduced tax on local beers to make them more competitive. Ireland could drink it's way out of the recession.

Advertisement