Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to add horse to cattle herd ?

• 09-05-2012 6:36pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hello,

we acquired a while ago 3 horses which we are letting stay on our land for at least 6 months. They have passports and are registered. We hold the passports. We have cattle and a herd number. We are not the registered owners of the horses however. Can we still add them to our herd officially as they are on our land?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

No the person with the herd number also has to be the registered owner of the horses on their passport.

I'm guessing this is in relation to minimum stocking rates?

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

Thanks a lot fits,

ur spot on.

just returned and the farm is next to derelict. No stock at all and in bad shape. Iv just bought a 6 cattle but am still short for the DAS. Cannot afford more this year yet till payments come through. Lots of fencing and repair work to be done. My father has let a few horses eat the grass this last few years on some paddocks. So rather than going out an getting the cheapest I can find in cattle, this year I will add the hoses to the herd for DAS.

Now they are registered in our name, but how does the DVO or whoever is responsible, know that we have horses?

Tks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭brownswiss

eamon11 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot fits,

ur spot on.

just returned and the farm is next to derelict. No stock at all and in bad shape. Iv just bought a 6 cattle but am still short for the DAS. Cannot afford more this year yet till payments come through. Lots of fencing and repair work to be done. My father has let a few horses eat the grass this last few years on some paddocks. So rather than going out an getting the cheapest I can find in cattle, this year I will add the hoses to the herd for DAS.

Now they are registered in our name, but how does the DVO or whoever is responsible, know that we have horses?...

They can check with the Equine society who issued the passports....

There is also a clause about being an actual breeder and having bred a foal in the last couple of years .... not sure if this applies to you or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Unless you own the horses and they're brood mares, they no longer qualify as regard you keeping up your stocking rates unfortunately. This i know cos up until this year, in fact this week, the horses we have here on the farm are no longer eligible, none of them are registered brood mares. Got the letter from the Dept of Ag & all to inform us of the not so good news.

Plus bear in mind - if you have those horses on your land, you need to register your premises as having horses on it (you are, in fact, what the Dept refer to as a 'Keeper')..There is a thread on this already on this forum. You can download the relevant form from the Dept website, fill in all the gorey details and send it back to the Dept.

eamon11 wrote: »
    Now they are registered in our name, but how does the DVO or whoever is responsible, know that we have horses?

Tks a lot

They can inspect the premises or as happened in our case, they can look for you to send in the horses passports to Dept of Ag.

• Advertisement

MDFM wrote: »
    Unless you own the horses and they're brood mares, they no longer qualify as regard you keeping up your stocking rates unfortunately. .

I dont think they necessarily have to be registered brood mares. I think the stipulation is 'breeding stock' which would cover young horses etc. Thats just my impression though. I'm not certain on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

There's an article on this very subject on this weeks' Irish Field also..

Advertisement