Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to add horse to cattle herd ?

• 09-05-2012 6:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hello,

we acquired a while ago 3 horses which we are letting stay on our land for at least 6 months. They have passports and are registered. We hold the passports. We have cattle and a herd number. We are not the registered owners of the horses however. Can we still add them to our herd officially as they are on our land? How do we do this?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

hello,

no replies to this one eh!
    The horses are now being registered in my name. But as its a completely different body to the cattle an sheep reg., how do I incorporate them into the herd? Is it simply a case of calling up the DVO to let them know we have horses? Shoulnt we have to forward their numbers or something?

Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Do not know about registering but do not depend for stocking level as they have to be owned as well as in you herd no for stocking density purposes for DA

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

eamon11 wrote: »
    hello,

no replies to this one eh!
    The horses are now being registered in my name. But as its a completely different body to the cattle an sheep reg., how do I incorporate them into the herd? Is it simply a case of calling up the DVO to let them know we have horses? Shoulnt we have to forward their numbers or something?

Tks

Why do you want to incorporate them into the herd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

There isn't the same requirement for horses. There is no herd number or register. The passports are for recording breeding,competition results and vaccines if entering the foodchain. Not nesscerry to change ownership unless need to register offspring or registering for competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Why do you want to incorporate them into the herd?

he doesn want to go and buy dear cattle to claim his area aid and other sfp money

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot lads,

just returned and the farm is next to derelict. No stock at all and in bad shape. Iv just bought a 6 cattle but am still short for the DAS. Cannot afford more this year yet till payments come through. Lots of fencing and repair work to be done. My father has let a few horses eat the grass this last few years on some paddocks. So rather than going out an getting the cheapest I can find in cattle, this year I will add the hoses to the herd for DAS. This is their last year here but the owner doesnt know it yet!

Now they are registered in our name, but how does the DVO or whoever is responsible, know that we have horses?

Tks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Those horses don't count

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Yeah the stocking rate rules have changed this year to only include horses which are classed as breeding stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Yeah the stocking rate rules have changed this year to only include horses which are classed as breeding stock.

Yep Countryjimbo you are correct, have a read at below Eamon.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/singlepaymentsscheme/2012/2012DASTCA4150512.pdf

Attie

thanks lads,

ye are correct and I have wasted my time. I will miss the das this year and next by the looks of it. Waste of 100 euro. Irony is the horses have had foals on our land but of course we were not the registered owners.

cheers for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Eamon you only need livestock units that means cattle over 2 years of age old cows, old bullocks or a couple yearling bulls weight will not matter, I'd go for a few old cows.

Also watch out in case they have ref years for DA there is a whisper of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Reference year was 2011 if you were under 0.3/ha lu in 2011 you are out for 2012.

thanks again lads,

where might be the best place to get a few old cows?

I am in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Eamon
    Someone tell me if i'v picked this wrong, are donkeys eligible ??.
    Page 2 on the helpsheet states,

Donkeys
    Donkeys will continue to be eligible for inclusion in the stocking density calculation where
    the animals in question are appropriately registered and in respect of which the relevant
    identification documentation has been issued, showing the animal(s) concerned as being in
    the ownership of the given applicant.

More info, just of phone to Teagasc adviser he says should be more help published next week on this mater.

thanks Attie

Lads

I know by 15 May the single farm payment etc had to be submitted .
    However I did not have enough stock on that date for DAS. Now I do. Is there also a requirement to have the min level on that date or before it?
    Will this still be ok? Naturally I will be keeping them over the required 6 months.

cheers

Advertisement