Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange issue, Phone Doesn't Ring

Options
  • 09-05-2012 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

I got my old landline reactivated and got reconnected to Eircom yesterday and got my email to say the line was connected and my account number and phone number, the email said that the broadband could take up to 10 days to activate.

I set up my phone and plugged it into the socket and nothing! There is no dial tone and I cant make or recieve calls and when you ring my number from another phone it does not ring or register an incoming call but you can hear the ringing tone on the phone you are ringing from!

I then set up an old router on the line and the broadband is working perfectly although only at 5120/512 down/up so that was a bit disappointing.

I am wondering now has there been some mix-up between my phone and broadband? why will my phone not woork when the broadband is working fine?

As a returning customer i am hoping this can be looked at quickly:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just to show the average speed i am getting but still no phone activated on my new line

1942665302.png

Mode: G.DMT
    Line Coding: Trellis On
    Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin (dB): 19.0 22.0
    Attenuation (dB): 43.0 25.5
    Power (dBm): 19.8 12.3

From memory when i had a line in before with Broadband i was getting over 6mbps with the next generation service, will my current speed be increased at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Loose jumper in the exchange, report a fault and get them to punch it again. Possibly a dodgy filter so maybe try another filter first.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Loose jumper in the exchange, report a fault and get them to punch it again. Possibly a dodgy filter so maybe try another filter first.
    tried with no filter and no broadband plugged in but nothing, i will try ringing them now but they will most likely tell me it can take 10 days or more before it can be considered a fault because it is a new connection and that it may not be completed yet?

I'm half expecting Eircom to reply saying they tried to ring my landline but there was no answer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

foggy_lad wrote: »
    tried with no filter and no broadband plugged in but nothing, i will try ringing them now but they will most likely tell me it can take 10 days or more before it can be considered a fault because it is a new connection and that it may not be completed yet?

I'm half expecting Eircom to reply saying they tried to ring my landline but there was no answer:D

Hi foggy_lad,

It is very strange that the broadband would be working but the phone doesn't ring? Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number or account number so I can check.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, pm sent.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark, pm sent.

Hi foggy_lad,

I DM you back.

Thanks, Mark

Hi foggy_lad,

I DM you back.

Thanks, Mark
    Hi again Mark,

The Engineer called to the house earlier and found the fault! My phone which works in other houses(tested) won't work in my house:confused: His phone worked perfect so i'm off to buy a phone:)

Hi again Mark,

The Engineer called to the house earlier and found the fault! My phone which works in other houses(tested) won't work in my house:confused: His phone worked perfect so i'm off to buy a phone:)

Hi Fergal,

Ok, thanks for getting back to me and letting me know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi again Mark,

Hi Fergl,

Did you replace the phone and are you up and running ok?

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

By any chance is this a British phone ?

If so, some of them need an adapter that contains a capacitor to shunt the ring signal onto a 3rd wire or they will behave exactly as you're describing i.e. the line will ring, but the phone won't.

If this is the case, try connecting the phone using its original British cable with a Irish-BT adapter. Ensure the adapter contains a capacitor, these are quite large devices that look a bit like a DSL filter.

http://www.novavox.co.uk/accessories-rj-11-bt-adapter-with-built-in-ring-capacitor-p-59.html?osCsid=b252f525ba59af66212e87d8ca7b05c8 is an example of one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement