Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think?

• 09-05-2012 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Before Christmas our German teacher went on maternity leave and another teacher came to replace her. It was clear from the very beginning that she was more than a little odd. She seemed to have very little interest in the curriculum and we were watching movies like Mammia Mia the week before our mocks.
    When we were practicing for the oral and answering questions about ourselves e.g. siblings, plans for university etc. she would always be writing down what we said. We were a little put off at the start but over time became accustomed to it.
    That was, until this week when one of the girls looked at her notebook where she wrote all her notes and saw the things she had written.
    She had written very hurtful things about each class in the school. There were many comments about our class including "like teaching a group of disabled students". She had also singled out one of the boys and had taken down quotes of things he had said during class along with many personal comments about him and a comparison between him and his sister.

Sorry for the long post but what do ye think we should do? We had begun to accept her as we got to know her but seeing these comments have changed everything... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Get her ass fired. Report her to the principal immediately. However he/she may side with her, so if there is any other higher authority than the principal, report the incident to them.

Her actions are despicable and are a disgrace to the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Write in her notebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Get an A1 in German just to spite her! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Go to your Year Head, followed by Vice Principal followed by Principal. If this is still unsuccessful, request to speak to the Board Of Management. Something has to be done. As one of the above poster's said the principal might side with this teacher as they are co-workers. The Board of Management won't however.

This is disgraceful. She's breaking teacher-student relationships and is quite discriminating regarding the quote you stated.

Have you tried confronting her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ColeenRua

No we havn't confronted her because we weren't supposed to be looking at her notebook in the first place.
    And we don't know if we could tell the year head/principal/board of management because we have no proof? We don't actually have the notebook...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

ColeenRua wrote: »
    No we havn't confronted her because we weren't supposed to be looking at her notebook in the first place.
    And we don't know if we could tell the year head/principal/board of management because we have no proof? We don't actually have the notebook...
    Still, it's not very likely a whole class would be lying about this. It wouldn't be right to just sit back and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Was this notebook a private notebook that is never meant to be seen by anyone? If so then what were ye doing looking at it. If so, then you should apologise to her and keep your nose out of other people's private journals. As far as I am aware, thougtcrime is still only illegal in George Orwell novels. We may not like what other people think about us but they have the right to think whatever they want.

On the other hand if this notebook is one that is supposed to be available to her superiors then you should see what they make of it first and if there is no appropriate response then complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Was this notebook a private notebook that is never meant to be seen by anyone? If so then what were ye doing looking at it. If so, then you should apologise to her and keep your nose out of other people's private journals. As far as I am aware, thougtcrime is still only illegal in George Orwell novels. We may not like what other people think about us but they have the right to think whatever they want.

On the other hand if this notebook is one that is supposed to be available to her superiors then you should see what they make of it first and if there is no appropriate response then complain.
    Even still, theres no need to record such hurtful thoughts and leave it where the students can find them. Its extremely unprofessional. Yes they were snooping maybe, but what they found is disgraceful and I'd probably report the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ColeenRua wrote: »
    She had written very hurtful things about each class in the school. There were many comments about our class including "like teaching a group of disabled students". She had also singled out one of the boys and had taken down quotes of things he had said during class along with many personal comments about him and a comparison between him and his sister.
    Report her to the principal. I'd even report her to the Teaching Council too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Are you the German teacher!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

What I would have done, firstly, is steal the notebook. Then you would have had evidence. Then I would have photocopied pages from the notebook. I would find out the teachers address, and mail the photocopied pages to her. I would have basically messed with her head for a few weeks. That would have been hilarious. Blackmail would also have been an option if you had stole the notebook.

p.s. Was Mamma Mia any good, I haven't seen it.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    What I would have done, firstly, is steal the notebook. Then you would have had evidence. Then I would have photocopied pages from the notebook. I would find out the teachers address, and mail the photocopied pages to her. I would have basically messed with her head for a few weeks. That would have been hilarious. Blackmail would also have been an option if you had stole the notebook.
    Evidence that you've stolen someone's personal belongings and are trying to blackmail them is not evidence you want to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Evidence that you've stolen someone's personal belongings and are trying to blackmail them is not evidence you want to have.

I suppose your right.....stealing a NOTEBOOK *gasps*

That would be 5 or 6 years in jail at least.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I suppose your right.....stealing a NOTEBOOK *gasps*

That would be 5 or 6 years in jail at least.
    It probably wouldn't get you jail time or an arrest but it's a terrible suggestion as it'd open up the OP to a huge host of other problems and will take attention away from the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I find this really upsetting. I'd never write anything like that, yes I'm a teacher.
    However, ye have no proof. Also, concentrating on exams is what ye should be doing. I'd complain about her behaviour but realistically I don't think the notebook will get ye very far. Go to the principal though, she sounds less than adequate.

Advertisement