Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structure of Comparative Answers

• 09-05-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Just wondering how everyone is structuring their answers for English. I've got Theme & Issue pretty much sorted but Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint are still really off putting.

Has anyone any advice on how I should structure my essays? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ColeenRua

We're doing it gv&v under the topics of beginning, setting, ending, society, religion, key relationships and how they are progressed through key moments :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

good luck :/ i currently have the same problem! im doing theme and cultural context.. what i have been doing so far is planing my answer using little lists with the texts side by side and the equivalent points (either similar or contrasting) beside each other going down..... and just take it from there.... i will admit im not a1 caliber so i don't know if you want my advice!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

good luck :/ i currently have the same problem! im doing theme and cultural context.. what i have been doing so far is planing my answer using little lists with the texts side by side and the equivalent points (either similar or contrasting) beside each other going down..... and just take it from there.... i will admit im not a1 caliber so i don't know if you want my advice!! :P
    Emmmm...cultural context isnt on the course this year. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Emmmm...cultural context isnt on the course this year. :eek:

Sorry my bad! I'm in fifth year :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

The Literary Genre layout I use is:
    • Openings
    • Introduction of Characters
    • Use of Narrator
    • Symbols and Metaphors
    • Climax
    • Endings

However I usually only discuss Narrator,Symbols and Metaphors and climax as I tend to write too much if I include more than that. My teacher says discuss how literary genre is conveyed through even three of these headings is more than enough.Hope I helped :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

For GV&V we do

Intro
    5 paragraphs comparing v&v in beginning, family life, key relationships, view of society and ending
    Conclusion

Following this pattern got me 65/70 in mocks and i lost 5 for mechanics because my writing was terrible so its a good method

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

For G&V the layout I use is:

Opening
    Beginning of texts
    Key Relationships
    Key Moments
    Family
    Society
    Ending of texts
    Conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Thanks everyone, I think I understand GV&V a little more now. Still haven't a clue about Literary Genre though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭afc4life

If you wanted you could probably just leave out LG and just do Theme and GV because one of them has to come up! That's probably what I'm gonna do tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

afc4life wrote: »
    If you wanted you could probably just leave out LG and just do Theme and GV because one of them has to come up! That's probably what I'm gonna do tbh!

LG and GV are more likely to come up then theme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Is comparing relationships developed between characters okay for a stylistic element for literary genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

For me, and what I presume most of my class, we do not go under headings. We were never taught how to approach it so I feel it could be good for the P (purpose= freshness).

so this is how i do it!

intro
    talk of first text with respect to question
    connect second text to first text
    using connections whenever possible move from text to text.

Usually I write about 7 pages with no layout or set approach. The best thing about this is that you write the exact same thing mostly for each essay which is awesome.

It's a good approach, ironically, a good approach is no approach.

Advertisement