Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Modem/Router

• 09-05-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Can anybody here recommend a replacement router from the rubbish that eircom supply, I am getting up to a dozen disconnects each evening that I notice when either surfing or online gaming, I don't mind spending over E100 or more if I get something reliable.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Wireless-telephone-connections-Broadband/dp/B0030XMPQG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336595584&sr=8-5

I have the lan one without the modem. Never an issues at all the only weak spot I have is the eircom modem :rolleyes: This looks epic aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

While replacing a modem certainly could resolve your issues, there may be other faults at play. If you post your line stats, we can see if the drops are a result of a sh!t line or a faulty line, before you shell out cash for a new modem which may be unnecessary.
    Are the drops happening over WiFi, Ethernet or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WNDR3600/3700/3800 would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 22 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /16 dB

Those are my stats, both the wifi and network connection drops off for about a minute or so and comes back without me having to reset the modem, it happened last year for a while so i got eircom to drop me from an 18MB line to 15mb and that seemed to fit it until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

[QUOTE=kenny111;
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /16 dB

.[/QUOTE]

There's your problem...6dB is borderline and most likely will lead to random disconnects.
    You'll probably need to come down in speed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know its expensive but damn its good and look at the reviews

this is what I have
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadband-Wireless-N/dp/B002TOKGL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336692207&sr=8-1

Advertisement