Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature application not accepted

Options
  • 09-05-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am posting this on behalf of my partner. She applied for the Veterinary Nursing course and just heard back that she was not successful. She rang to query the reasons why and was told that she did not show enough evidence of interest or determination to pursue the course.

Has anybody else been told the same? It is worth pointing out that she has worked full-time in a Veterinary practice for 5 years, she also works as a volunteer with the UK RSPCA in Croatia every year on a cat spaying programme. This is completely funded by her and she has to take time out from work to do it. She also just completed a level 5 fetac course in animal care and veterinary nursing from Carlow I.T. She achieved distinctions in all modules.

She also submitted references from every job including a reference from the RSPCA and she attached a personal overview of why she wanted to do the course.

I am so annoyed over this. Is the reason of not enough evidence just an excuse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi OP.

I just wanted to say my heart goes out to your wife. She sounds like she has put a huge amount of work in. Perhaps ask them for more detailed feedback. The standard must have been very high, but its also very vague of them to give a response like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

That's the greatest load of crap i ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't say it's just an excuse. It's impossible to who she was up against but it could be a case that most other people who applied who had experience and a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

IIRC 10% of positions are distributed to mature students. It could just have been an unfortunate situation that the other applicants 'rated' higher.

Preference is also given to past UCD students, regardless of previous course. It's a strange one, but unfortunately it can happen that a person that's hugely suited to a particular course, misses out on the mature student applications, purely due to the a mount of other 'more suitable' candidates. ( clearly your partner is highly suited). Ask for the written feedback, and keep at them. Someone could drop out / not accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

sorry to hear that. She sounds well qualified , id keep asking them for more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I can't imagine the reasons for their decision, but ring them up and ask for feedback and answers. Gives you a starting point and something to work from.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Thanks for all the replies guys.

What else does somebody need to do to get on that course? My partner is a perfect example of somebody that should be doing the course. She has the interest, passion and experience. All that she wants is the piece of paper to back it up.

The fact that UCD turned around and said "not enough evidence of interest or determination to pursue the course". That sounds utterly ridiculous to me. I am always very skeptical of how many places are given to mature applicants and what the process actually is.

In any case, she has also applied for the same course in Athlone and she has an interview next week. So hopefully.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What else does somebody need to do to get on that course? My partner is a perfect example of somebody that should be doing the course. She has the interest, passion and experience. All that she wants is the piece of paper to back it up.

The fact that UCD turned around and said "not enough evidence of interest or determination to pursue the course". That sounds utterly ridiculous to me. I am always very skeptical of how many places are given to mature applicants and what the process actually is.

In any case, she has also applied for the same course in Athlone and she has an interview next week. So hopefully.....

A friend of mine is a Vet nurse for the last 5 years. She didnt get onto the graduate entry Vet programme despite all that experience. Competition is tough sadly.

The fact you've no idea what qualifications the other people had means you can't claim your girlfriend is the "perfect example of somebody that should be doing the course". Considering only about 4 or 5 people are chosen then it could very easily have been the case that your girlfriend just wasn't that good or didn't demonstrate enough evidence. 10% of places are given to Mature students and I wouldn't be at all surprised if people had experience + degrees+ FETAC related qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

The fact you've no idea what qualifications the other people had means you can't claim your girlfriend is the "perfect example of somebody that should be doing the course". Considering only about 4 or 5 people are chosen then it could very easily have been the case that your girlfriend just wasn't that good or didn't demonstrate enough evidence. 10% of places are given to Mature students and I wouldn't be at all surprised if people had experience + degrees+ FETAC related qualifications.

Why does having a degree mean that somebody should get a place over another? If I have a degree in computer science, does that mean that I rank above somebody else who does not when going for a vet nursing course?

The reason that I said she is a perfect example of somebody that should be doing the course is due to the fact that she has worked in animal care all her life. All her experience relates to that and she has the references to back it up. Surely then places should go to those people who have quite clearly put the work and dedication in.

Thanks for the nice reply by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm sorry to hear your partner didn't get in. I imagined there is unpublished criteria for ranking and assessing applications. Scoring would probably be spread across academic achievements, professional achievements, evidence of interest and motivation. For mature places in many programmes, motivation and commitment are hugely important. I have assessed mature applications in the past and we were always happy to advice students on how to improve their application for the following year. Call vet (not admissions) and ask if it is possible to duscuss your application with a member of the assessment panel. Hope you get some constructive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Maybe she could look into an access course? I'm not totally sure but I imagine that Vet Nursing is covered on the science one, you could ring UCD & check. Here's the link:

http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/prospectivestudents/accesscourses/accesstoscienceandengineering/

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Sorry to heard about that.

A mate of mine from school applied for a restricted music course in trinity with only 12 places.
    he didn't get in, purportedly for having let slip he prefers modern music over classical music.

This guy is one of the best musicians there is out there and can play complex piano suites expertly. He's also a brilliant drummer,plays the mandolin, guitar, double guitar and bouzouki with a brilliant flair. If you look up "mambitalia" on youtube you'l see his channel

He was deemed "of insufficient character and not suitable for the course based on its contents" or something along those lines.

The world can be cruel, yet its not the end of the world, who knows, it could be for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

One of my friends is assessing mature applications for a different programme. They've had over 100 applicants for around 4-6 positions, so they're spoiled for choice.

Having a degree or related qualification ranks you higher because it shows you can succeed at college, and when they have so many applicants and so few positions, they can pick and choose the ones that are a sure bet, so to speak. I don't think it's fair, especially when the idea is to give someone a chance who may not have had the opportunity to study at college yet.

I'd also suggest talking to someone in vet to see if there is a chance that her application can be looked at again. It doesn't hurt to try. At the very least, you might get some better feedback. Remember to ask what she could add for any future application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

taz70 wrote: »
    One of my friends is assessing mature applications for a different programme. They've had over 100 applicants for around 4-6 positions, so they're spoiled for choice.

Having a degree or related qualification ranks you higher because it shows you can succeed at college, and when they have so many applicants and so few positions, they can pick and choose the ones that are a sure bet, so to speak. I don't think it's fair, especially when the idea is to give someone a chance who may not have had the opportunity to study at college yet.

Yes, forgot to say that in the past we recieved pver 200 applications for 2-3 places.

In terms of access courses, not all ucd degrees accept the access pathway. I imagine this includes highly competetive courses such as Vet or Medicine.

Why does having a degree mean that somebody should get a place over another? If I have a degree in computer science, does that mean that I rank above somebody else who does not when going for a vet nursing course?

The reason that I said she is a perfect example of somebody that should be doing the course is due to the fact that she has worked in animal care all her life. All her experience relates to that and she has the references to back it up. Surely then places should go to those people who have quite clearly put the work and dedication in.

Thanks for the nice reply by the way.

Who said anything about Computers science degree? Maybe they all had 1st class honours degrees in Zoology and working experience with animals. Not sure how you could claim that your girlfriend would honestly be a better candidate over those people. Again since you have no idea about the other candidates you can't say she is a perfect example or how places should go to people who have put the work and dedication into the area. Could very well be that the people who got selected put more work and dedication into the area then your girlfriend did. You mightn't like my answer but it at least take the information on board and realise that your girlfriend might need to do even more instead of her feeling hard down by and thinking she doesn't need to improve if she really wants a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Muir wrote: »
    Maybe she could look into an access course? I'm not totally sure but I imagine that Vet Nursing is covered on the science one, you could ring UCD & check. Here's the link:

http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/prospectivestudents/accesscourses/accesstoscienceandengineering/

I was rejected from the Access course for the same reasons the OPs partner was rejected from this one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Op I would really really advise that your partner enroll in the access course i ucd. Its used as a gateway into all sorts of courses. Some who have done the course are doing medicine or vet studies ect.

Advertisement