Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options
  • 09-05-2012 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Went to The Church Bar while in Dublin

It was around 5pm and when i went in the door,there is a kinda desk to be seated and a doorman and manager said we could not have dinner because i was wearing runners and casual cotton combat pants

Christ do they want the custom:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not from the likes of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

That's crazy, I was in there a few weekends ago and it didn't seem too posh of a place, granted this was in the afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Not from the likes of you.

Apt username is apt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Can't remember having any trouble in there before but if they are gone like that they don't deserve the custom. I thought casual afternoon beers was part of that places appeal. Its nothing spectacular anyway. You didn't miss much.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

I handed a CV in there today with grease from my bike all over my hands. I wonder if she gave the CV to the manager? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I was wearing kinda retro style new balance runners,a grey cotton cargo combat pants and o neills rain jacket

Now maybe the pants they thought were trackie bottoms but they deffo not scummy looking i had bags of shopping with me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Exact same happened to me! I was wearing jeans and a nice pair of Adidas Samba classics. It was one of the places to be considered for the work xmas drinks/food party (30 odd people, wealthy company). I quickly marked it off the list and haven't been back since. A friend runs a small tourist based business, he was considering it as an interesting stop for his tour groups for a pint. Not any more, a competitor had to take on extra staff with the new business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Just reading reviews on Tripadvisor of this place,the few replys is only too good reviews.And even the management replies to complaints seemed just to say they answered

Ive work in the trade so was shocked by the refusal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Never liked the place myself, charge too much for drinks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

if they don't want your custom in a recession then stuff them, no doubt the Vintners will be on moaning how this and that is killing their members businesses - instead its attitudes like this and the price of gargle.

I went to Against the Grain on Friday at 11pm in runners and casual jumper, bouncer was friendly and had a joke with him, went in and it was hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In fairness to them, they do have a sign on the front door saying that proper attire (aka non sporting stuff) is required for admittance. I'm in there a lot.

I don't think it is snobbery on their part. I have seen them kicking trouble making hoodie wearing gurriers out & using the dress code as the reason. Am not saying that all hoodie or sporting clothes wearers are trouble making gurriers, but given the area that it is in, they get their fare share of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I like the place because they keep standards up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In fairness to them, they do have a sign on the front door saying that proper attire (aka non sporting stuff) is required for admittance. I'm in there a lot.

I don't think it is snobbery on their part. I have seen them kicking trouble making hoodie wearing gurriers out & using the dress code as the reason. Am not saying that all hoodie or sporting clothes wearers are trouble making gurriers, but given the area that it is in, they get their fare share of them.

I would agree with this but good staff should be able to tell the difference between scumbag junkies and someone who prefers not to wear a shoes when they go for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Piliger wrote: »
    I like the place because they keep standards up.
    Me too. I like to have dinner in an establishment with a dress code - and especially one which prohibits runners, tracksuits, hoodies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

good point raised there, you can't just say "no scumbags or junkies" but you can have a dress code prohibiting typical scumbag attire, so it keeps the undesirables out but unfortunately also some completely unscumbagesque but casually attire punters too

Me too. I like to have dinner in an establishment with a dress code - and especially one which prohibits runners, tracksuits, hoodies etc.

Ah come on, it's very very mediocre pub grub, not fine dining! You hardly think it deserves a dress code? Fair enough, tracksuited toerags not allowed in, but there has to be a bit of cop on when it comes to door staff. I was with two middle aged clients, not a gang of seventeen year old young fella's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was refused lunch in there a few years ago too because i was wearing runners

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ah come on, it's very very mediocre pub grub, not fine dining! You hardly think it deserves a dress code? Fair enough, tracksuited toerags not allowed in, but there has to be a bit of cop on when it comes to door staff. I was with two middle aged clients, not a gang of seventeen year old young fella's.
    Each to his own but I'm entitled to spend my hard earned money in establishments which have rules which appeal to me. I've never dined there but I may now do so. Those of you who prefer dining with people wearing runners, tracksuits, football jerseys etc. are free to spend your cash in such venues. It's a free country as they say.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I would agree with this but good staff should be able to tell the difference between scumbag junkies and someone who prefers not to wear a shoes when they go for a pint.

I agree. But kicking someone out (or denying them admittance) based on their breaking a clearly signposted dress code is simple enough. All the scumbag junkie has to do is point at someone in runners and ask why they are not being asked to leave too. Then staff have an argument on their hands & a valid one at that.

Mgt/staff can't very well point to you and say "Oh that's ok, he's not a scumbag junkie, he's a gazillionaire from Ballsbridge. He just doesn't like to wear proper shoes..." & the scumbag junkie says "fair enough so..." and leaves quietly. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Each to his own but I'm entitled to spend my hard earned money in establishments which have rules which appeal to me. I've never dined there but I may now do so. Those of you who prefer dining with people wearing runners, tracksuits, football jerseys etc. are free to spend your cash in such venues. It's a free country as they say.

I find it rather pretentious that someone should give a damn about the clothes another diner happens to be wearing. What business of theirs and why are they so concerned in another's affairs.

I have eaten in said pub wearing jeans and runners so am surprised to see this sudden dress code being announced as it is most definitely not my experience of the place at all.

EDIT; just to point out my runners aren't 'classic' trainers but usually a more fashionable item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

that's the thing you can refuse a gang of 17 year olds for being underage, but you can't refuse someone because they are a toerag, there was equality laws against it. but you can have a dress code which will hopefully exclude most of the toerags and other people besides

SteoL wrote: »
    What business of theirs and why are they so concerned in another's affairs
    Because in these recessionary times I can afford to be choosey and am entitled to spend my money in establishments which meet my expectations. Those who do not agree are free to take their custom eslewhere. Why would they want to go to a place that doesn't need their custom?

in these recessionary times I can afford to be choosey

Choosing an eatery on of what footwear other patrons adorn is a first for me. I'm not a fashionista and generally feel people can be individuals and wear what they want. I guess I don't really pay much attention to other diners around me. Im usually to busy engaging with my god and the company I am with.

Of course any clothing that encorporates a wolf or an eagle will always bring a smile.

Quality of food, atmosphere, staff, price and service would be top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

sasta le wrote: »
    Went to The Church Bar while in Dublin

It was around 5pm and when i went in the door,there is a kinda desk to be seated and a doorman and manager said we could not have dinner because i was wearing runners and casual cotton combat pants

Christ do they want the custom:eek:

Well, it is called The Church Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OP, it's annoying, but my advice is to just never go back. There's lots of places in the city that'll take your money, and there's a lot nicer places than The Church that dress code isn't an issue.

As for the "scumbag junkie" label, take a walk around O'Connell Street Upper at closing time and I bet you won't see 1 pair of runners among the scummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

What John Rambo said.

Choosing a restaurant based on other clienteles dress sense is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Fair enough if it was The Ritz Carlton or some upper class establishment but a pub in the centre of town where people sit around in that little square it's on happily drinking their flagons or cans.

I think they may be punching above their weight just a bit.

Oh and you are correct, of course, when you say he should take his custom to someone who would be happy wih it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Well I for one welcome more places like this. Your interpretation of mediocre is your own, as is fine dining. I don't believe there is any connection whatsoever required between the quality of food and the desire to have people dress well.
    If more places maintained this kind of standard we would get a major improvement in in people's dress and turnout, which I and many others would welcome.

I don't think that anyone here is saying that they chose where to dine based solely on what their fellow diners are or are not wearing. It's just part of an overall dining experience.

Let's face it, there is a certain subsection of society who engages in anti social behaviour. They are generally unpleasant people to be around be it in a restaurant or else where. These people seem to have a common dress code that consists of hoodies and athletic gear. Are all people who wear hoodies and athletic gear anti social scumbags? No, certainly not. But by eliminating those items of clothing from your premises, you stand a better chance of your diners not being hassled by that anti social element, especially if your restaurant is in a location that attracts them in the first place. (Isn't there a methadone clinic just down the road on Capel Street?)

We all of us like to eat out on special occasions in surroundings that are pleasant & non threatening. Some of us like to put on nice clobber every now and then and go to nice restaurants where everyone else is dressed up too, and the waiter calls you Sir or Madam, and the table clothes are fine linen and the food is served on fine china. It's all part of the over all atmosphere. It's not just about what others wearing, but that is a part of it. We have all done that and enjoyed doing that, if not on a regular basis, at least for special occasions. To accuse people of being pretentious to elitist just for enjoying doing that is a bit silly and is reverse snobbery imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i was refused lunch in there a few years ago too because i was wearing runners

Did you ever bother going back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't think that anyone here is saying that they chose where to dine based solely on what their fellow diners are or are not wearing. It's just part of an overall dining experience.

Let's face it, there is a certain subsection of society who engages in anti social behaviour. They are generally unpleasant people to be around be it in a restaurant or else where. These people seem to have a common dress code that consists of hoodies and athletic gear. Are all people who wear hoodies and athletic gear anti social scumbags? No, certainly not. But by eliminating those items of clothing from your premises, you stand a better chance of your diners not being hassled by that anti social element, especially if your restaurant is in a location that attracts them in the first place. (Isn't there a methadone clinic just down the road on Capel Street?)

We all of us like to eat out on special occasions in surroundings that are pleasant & non threatening. Some of us like to put on nice clobber every now and then and go to nice restaurants where everyone else is dressed up too, and the waiter calls you Sir or Madam, and the table clothes are fine linen and the food is served on fine china. It's all part of the over all atmosphere. It's not just about what others wearing, but that is a part of it. We have all done that and enjoyed doing that, if not on a regular basis, at least for special occasions. To accuse people of being pretentious to elitist just for enjoying doing that is a bit silly and is reverse snobbery imo.
    From your post it seems "reverse snobbery" is bad, but normal snobbery is ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement