Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't think that anyone here is saying that they chose where to dine based solely on what their fellow diners are or are not wearing..

They did! Wishbone knows nothing about the food, atmosphere, price but she/he would go to the place purely based on what footwear the other patrons wear!
    I've never dined there but I may now do so. Those of you who prefer dining with people wearing runners, tracksuits, football jerseys etc. are free to spend your cash in such venues

To be honest, scangers don't really dine in pubs and restaurants, the go to fast food joints. Doormen refusing entry to what are obviously decent people is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

ProudDUB wrote: »

We all of us like to eat out on special occasions in surroundings that are pleasant & non threatening. Some of us like to put on nice clobber every now and then and go to nice restaurants where everyone else is dressed up too, and the waiter calls you Sir or Madam, and the table clothes are fine linen and the food is served on fine china. It's all part of the over all atmosphere. It's not just about what others wearing, but that is a part of it. We have all done that and enjoyed doing that, if not on a regular basis, at least for special occasions. To accuse people of being pretentious to elitist just for enjoying doing that is a bit silly and is reverse snobbery imo.

Have you ever been to The Church ?

It's hardly fine dining , it does not have napery on the tables , and you have to go to the bar to order ... ITS A PUB .
    In my opinion , it's an over priced tourist trap , still living in the celtic tiger.

However considering the area I can understand why they have a dress code , but perhaps they should just say ' no track suits ' As for the shufflers from the methadone clinic , I don't think they would want to go in there , they are too busy spending their money on other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

you should dress up as you were and take pictures and post them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

spurious wrote: »
    Did you ever bother going back?

havent been in it since, wont either. its not like its the only place to eat in town

the runners i was wearing werent exactly runners, they were dc's

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is an ongoing war on good taste these days .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

spurious wrote: »
    Did you ever bother going back?

havent been in it since, wont either. its not like its the only place to eat in town

Fook them it's their loss. There are far better places in town to get a feed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Was in Dromoland Castle once and saw the bouncer having a huge argument with this young lad trying to get served in the bar, he was fairly well dressed but he was wearing runners (not chav-tastic ones I must admit). He was denied service due to dress code, and the young lad argued that the man eating drinking at the end of the bar was in ripped jeans, stretched out t-shirt and dirty white runners.... The fact that the dude at the end of the bar was Russell Crowe seemed to be good enough for the bouncer, but not for the young lad! Some places just dont mind being hypocritical I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Excellent, now I know where to go next time I'm over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That would be my attitude to it too, though I have eaten there too and the food's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Davyhal wrote: »
    Was in Dromoland Castle once and saw the bouncer having a huge argument with this young lad trying to get served in the bar, he was fairly well dressed but he was wearing runners (not chav-tastic ones I must admit). He was denied service due to dress code, and the young lad argued that the man eating drinking at the end of the bar was in ripped jeans, stretched out t-shirt and dirty white runners.... The fact that the dude at the end of the bar was Russell Crowe seemed to be good enough for the bouncer, but not for the young lad! Some places just dont mind being hypocritical I guess!

He was probably scared that if he refused Crowe, that he'd get hit with something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Choosing an eatery on of what footwear other patrons adorn is a first for me. I'm not a fashionista and generally feel people can be individuals and wear what they want. I guess I don't really pay much attention to other diners around me. Im usually to busy engaging with my god and the company I am with.

Of course any clothing that encorporates a wolf or an eagle will always bring a smile.

Quality of food, atmosphere, staff, price and service would be top of my list.

If you let people in track attire sit in for dinner and become the norm, what then for the pyjama and slippers wearer? Are you happy to eat at the table next to someone who is still wearing what she wore to bed last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Overpriced shíthole anyway, wouldn't go near the place, you dodged a bullet there OP, the food is crap too.

Another similar place to avoid is "The Parnell", formerly The Parnell Mooney. They have it billed as a "heritage pub". I suppose it is, if you look at Ireland's heritage of ripping people off.

12 quid for two pints of lager one saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The thing that always annoyed me about the Parnell Mooney was the fact that it claimed to be Dublin's oldest pub. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Have you ever been to The Church ?
    For me I can say I've been there twice since Christmas and a few times last year.
    It's hardly fine dining , it does not have napery on the tables , and you have to go to the bar to order ... ITS A PUB .
    In my opinion , it's an over priced tourist trap , still living in the celtic tiger.
    I see no valid connection whatsoever between this fine dining analogy and proper dress sense. None.
    However considering the area I can understand why they have a dress code , but perhaps they should just say ' no track suits ' As for the shufflers from the methadone clinic , I don't think they would want to go in there , they are too busy spending their money on other things.

That's one way of looking at it. I prefer the way they do it and more places should do it. It would bring in more business.

Des wrote: »
    Overpriced shíthole anyway, wouldn't go near the place, you dodged a bullet there OP, the food is crap too.

Actually it's quite a nice place with good food. I've recommended it to a number of people and they have been pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Piliger wrote: »

Actually it's quite a nice place with good food. I've recommended it to a number of people and they have been pleased.

Personally, I thought it was overpriced for what is effectively pub grub. Plenty of other pubs nearby of equal or greater value with higher quality food and cheaper prices.

I also thought the beer was crap.

Another similar place to avoid is "The Parnell", formerly The Parnell Mooney. They have it billed as a "heritage pub". I suppose it is, if you look at Ireland's heritage of ripping people off.

please say you didnt pay that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

sasta le wrote: »
    Went to The Church Bar while in Dublin

It was around 5pm and when i went in the door,there is a kinda desk to be seated and a doorman and manager said we could not have dinner because i was wearing runners and casual cotton combat pants

Christ do they want the custom:eek:

Be GLAD you were turned away. This place is disgusting. The only good thing is the church looks cool and it has a huge terrace for when it's sunny. Apart from that the service is really slow and mostly rude, they know they don't have to try hard to attract customers. I would take it as a compliment if I had been turned away by this poorly mannered people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I've had that happen before, with runners, they were nice about it but still it's not actually their rules.

Why?

Because I've been there many times wearing casual trainers and they didn't flinch.

Many times dressed smart with nice brogaí.

It's a bit stupid but that's just the way it is.

SteoL wrote: »

I also thought the beer was crap.
    I had a Guinness and it was as good as you get anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

lounakin wrote: »
    Be GLAD you were turned away. This place is disgusting. The only good thing is the church looks cool and it has a huge terrace for when it's sunny. Apart from that the service is really slow and mostly rude, they know they don't have to try hard to attract customers. I would take it as a compliment if I had been turned away by this poorly mannered people!

Definitely disagree with this, I've found the staff in there to be fantastic every time. Only one thing I will say is once waiting nearly an hour for lunch on my break, emphasise your urgency :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wouldn't let somebody in an O'Neills rain jacket within ten yards of my establishment, let alone eat in it.

I had a Guinness and it was as good as you get anywhere.

guinness isnt beer, its stout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I don't even own shoes

guinness isnt beer, its stout

Now I'm even more delighted they have this policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Well I for one welcome more places like this. Your interpretation of mediocre is your own, as is fine dining. I don't believe there is any connection whatsoever required between the quality of food and the desire to have people dress well.
    If more places maintained this kind of standard we would get a major improvement in in people's dress and turnout, which I and many others would welcome.

Right, haven't read through the rest of this thread yet, but that is an absolutely awful comment! Who cares what other people wear? If I want to wear tracksuit bottoms and runners for some reason, more power to me! And if, whilst wearing said attire, I want to go for a pint and a burger with some friends, and because some bar that clearly caters for lower and middle classes (it's not the ritz or anything) doesn't accept the way I am then I amn't ever going there again, no matter how well I dress!

And what, are you a shining example of fashion? You can't say that everywhere enforcing a dress code will bring about better appearance. In fact, if that were to ever happen, I would wear pyjamas everywhere to protest at for a persons right to wear whatever the hell pleases them, and to do what they want (as long as it is legal) to do so! In Galway, the only dress code the have is jeans, runners are fine! And runners look better with jeans than shoes do anyway!

Anyway, rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I dream of a republic that cleanses society of such thievery. A society that charges reasonable prices for quality over image. Where substance triumphs over style. A fairer and cheaper society. A society where the richer don't get richer on prestige and a deluded and misplaced sense of privelge and importance.
    In the immortal words of Selina Kyle:

"You think this can last. There's a storm coming. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, cause when it hits, you're all going to wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us. "

To all the restaurants and pubs, who have been exhorting us, overpricing us for so long, even still, your day will come.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Let's be honest here.

The Church is an overpriced rip-off with rude, lazy staff. Their food is alright, but way over price for the standard. I definately wouldnt be running there for lunch

They want people with more money than sense, those that are all image and substance just like themselves.

What I do find disturbing though, is the fact that my g-g-g grandparents got married there and i think one of them had their funeral there and people are more or less dancing on graves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

please say you didnt pay that?

Yeah I did, to make it worse, we'd just come out of Fibbers after a gig, where Heineken + Staropramen was less than a tenner, the exact same pints in this new "heritage" pub were 12 quid.

Only stayed for the one mind.

Thieving bastards The Parnell.

I'm mentioning their name so they come up on Google searches.

They even deleted my comments from their Facebook Page, the cowards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Nobody should wear runners unless you're doing some sort of sporting activity. Especially not in the evening.

I bet you think I'm not being serious...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement