Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Piliger wrote: »
    For me I can say I've been there twice since Christmas and a few times last year.

I see no valid connection whatsoever between this fine dining analogy and proper dress sense. None.

That's one way of looking at it. I prefer the way they do it and more places should do it. It would bring in more business.

I was addressing the quote to ProudDub who actually said
    We all of us like to eat out on special occasions in surroundings that are pleasant & non threatening. Some of us like to put on nice clobber every now and then and go to nice restaurants where everyone else is dressed up too, and the waiter calls you Sir or Madam, and the table clothes are fine linen and the food is served on fine china. It's all part of the over all atmosphere. It's not just about what others wearing, but that is a part of it. We have all done that and enjoyed doing that, if not on a regular basis, at least for special occasions

In the context of The Church , this is nonsense of course because it's not fine dining .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I was addressing the quote to ProudDub who actually said

In the context of The Church , this is nonsense of course because it's not fine dining .
    In fairness to them I could understand them drawing a distinction between the main pub eating area and the "gallery" upstairs. Since when does it have to be fine dining to enforce a level of minimum dress so you don't look like you've just rolled in off the streets.

I should say I'm in no way a fan of the Church and I do think their food is pretty poor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The staff there are a bit of a joke.

I rang one day to book a table and asked did they cater for coeliacs.

The girl burst into laughter and said "a what?"

I took the wife elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Go there sometimes as I work nearby but only ever for work drinks. It's a bit shite but needs must and most of the pubs around that area are, apart from maybe Nealons and that newish place on Capel street. Never had problems getting into the bar wearing trainers but have never eaten there.

Don't see why people get upset. Is any restaurant - especially the church - worth caring that much about. Just go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

stovelid wrote: »
    Don't see why people get upset. Is any restaurant - especially the church - worth caring that much about. Just go somewhere else.

I just think it's a shame when you get this happening;
    biko wrote: »
    Excellent, now I know where to go next time I'm over.

From a moderator who already refers to Dublin as Scumbagville directed to a mediocre eatery purely based on what shoes people wear when there are so much better places to go that base their business on value, quality, service and ambiance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

John_Rambo wrote: »
    From a moderator who already refers to Dublin as Scumbagville

Not in this forum he doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    Thieving bastards The Parnell.

I'm mentioning their name so they come up on Google searches.

They arent nearly as bad as the thieving bastards in the Oliver St John Gogarty...charging 6,50 a pint in broad daylight and yet the place is packed to the gills with tourists.

No wonder Dublin has a reputation for being an overpriced kip.

Degsy wrote: »
    They arent nearly as bad as the thieving bastards in the Oliver St John Gogarty...charging 6,50 a pint in broad daylight and yet the place is packed to the gills with tourists..

Jsysus. That said, it's been a long, long time since I had a pint in Temple Bar unless the Ha'penny Inn counts.

At least there it's tourist city, but. I can't see how they get away with it up on Parnell Street.

Jsysus. That said, it's been a long, long time since I had a pint in Temple Bar unless the Ha'penny Inn counts.

At least there it's tourist city, but. I can't see how they get away with it up on Parnell Street.

Loads of tourists up there too, no? :D

The time I was in there were two bangards there, drinking coffee and orange juice, at midnight

Loads of tourists up there too, no? :D

I suppose in my gulibility I just assumed that those kind of prices were confined to Temple Bar or places like The Morrisson or Cafe En Seine.

• Advertisement

You don't get out much do you old man.

I suppose in my gulibility I just assumed that those kind of prices were confined to Temple Bar or places like The Morrisson or Cafe En Seine.

Not true....see that place on Westmoreland St acros from Supermacs.

Not in this forum he doesn't.

No, but I'd prefer if he/she was directed to better, cheaper, friendlier places that would maybe change his/her mind about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Davidth88 wrote: »
    As for the shufflers from the methadone clinic , I don't think they would want to go in there , they are too busy spending their money on other things.
    They'd want to use the toilets. Probably as McDonalds either refuse them, or have the blue lights in the loos to prevent them from seeing their veins...

=-=

Have been there a few times drinking at night. Have found that the brain dead zombies junkies would wonder near the rear smoking area looking for a way in.
    Not true....see that place on Westmoreland St acros from Supermacs.
    The one where all the boards.ie related beers are held at?

You don't get out much do you old man.

Not to sh+tholes, no.

Or should I say, not to expensive sh+tholes. :)

Not to sh+tholes, no.

Or should I say, not to expensive sh+tholes. :)

"Just say No......to Expensive Shiitholes!!!!"

"Just say No...

g8_584175a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Each to his own but I'm entitled to spend my hard earned money in establishments which have rules which appeal to me. I've never dined there but I may now do so. Those of you who prefer dining with people wearing runners, tracksuits, football jerseys etc. are free to spend your cash in such venues. It's a free country as they say.

What a ****ing knob. Twat.

What a ****ing knob. Twat.

Excellent contribution.

This kind of abuse is not acceptable, under any circumstance.

You are not welcome in the Dublin City Forum any more.

Banned.

Goodbye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

being honest i dont think i would want to go somewhere where there is dresscode snobbery,as long as you are clean cut,and not intoxicated causing fuss i dont see what the problem is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

being honest i dont think i would want to go somewhere where there is dresscode snobbery,as long as you are clean cut,and not intoxicated causing fuss i dont see what the problem is..

I would very much want to go to such a place. And I see no reason why I should be denied the opportunity. But I wouldn't call it snobbery. It's just a case of feeling comfortable with a certain aesthetic. In the same way you specify 'clean cut' in your post. Should a shave and a recent haircut be required? What about a 5 O'Clock shadow? Or a 9 O'Clock one?

Some places allow a wide range of attire, others apply more restrictive rules.

Choose the place that suits you best. What's the problem?

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I would very much want to go to such a place

You like to be served overpriced mediocre food by crap staff as long as the person at the table at the other end of the room is wearing a certain type of footwear?

Go Celtic Tiger cubs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

They arent nearly as bad as the thieving bastards in the Oliver St John Gogarty...charging 6,50 a pint in broad daylight and yet the place is packed to the gills with tourists..

I like The Ha'penny Inn I must admit. It's the only place I'd drink in Temple Bar (does it count as Temple Bar?).

There's a pub up the other end beside USIT that does great food and beer. It was the Danny O'Connell years ago , don't recall it's current name. €4 a pint and the drink is decent. They do a deal for, I think it was €15, steak and a pint. Very very tasty and somewhere I enjoy going to chill for a couple of hours.

No silly dress code here (no knackers either before someone implies so).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I would very much want to go to such a place. And I see no reason why I should be denied the opportunity. But I wouldn't call it snobbery. It's just a case of feeling comfortable with a certain aesthetic. In the same way you specify 'clean cut' in your post. Should a shave and a recent haircut be required? What about a 5 O'Clock shadow? Or a 9 O'Clock one?

Well said. Highish prices and a dress code keeps some quality in the clientele. And it works very well imho thank goodness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Thats your business if you want to go to a place that would kick you out for not wearing the right shoes or hairstyle :D whats next are they going to ask you to pull down you trousers to see if your wearing designer underwear?:cool:
    Well said. Highish prices and a dress code keeps some quality in the clientele. And it works very well imho thank goodness.

could slim the clientele where they have none walking in the door..

Well said. Highish prices and a dress code keeps some quality in the clientele.

A dress code gives the appearance of quality in the clientele.

Highish prices keeps them convinced that they are eating quality food with affluent people.

Aloof staff makes the clientele thing they are in a posh joint.

And... it works. As Piliger, Biko and Bendi Bus say, they like it. The owners like it, the clientele leave with a smile on their face, the owners leave better restaurants with bigger smiles on their faces!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I wouldn't let somebody in an O'Neills rain jacket within ten yards of my establishment, let alone eat in it.

Whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You like to be served overpriced mediocre food by crap staff as long as the person at the table at the other end of the room is wearing a certain type of footwear?

Go Celtic Tiger cubs!!

No! I like to go somewhere with a smart dress code. It looks nicer. Is there something wrong with that?

Thanks for the flattery regarding my age but I was getting long in the tooth before all that nonsense started. More sabre-tooth than cub.

Cheers!

feel%20like%20a%20sir.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Its a crap pub, selling rubbish food

it they want to dress code let them get on with, person i prefer places like mulligans in stoneybatter who have brilliant staff, outstanding beer and unbelievable food with no dress code and not a junkie in sight

• Advertisement

I agree with certain pubs having seclusive dress codes.

It keeps them all in a few places away from the rest of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement