Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Ate there recently. Wasnt too happy with it. (Full of hens/stags etc) Wore runners too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I prefer establishments that operate a dress code , wouldn't be too pleasant having a shower of scrubbers in pyjamas at the next table would it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Delancey wrote: »
    I prefer establishments that operate a dress code , wouldn't be too pleasant having a shower of scrubbers in pyjamas at the next table would it ?

Can you name one eatery that this has happened to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

The Church is nothing special, it's no real loss to you OP.

Screw them, take your business elsewhere. There are nicer places in nicer areas that would have been happy to take the business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

John_Rambo wrote: »

It happened me once in Patrick Guilbauds. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

sasta le wrote: »
    Went to The Church Bar while in Dublin

It was around 5pm and when i went in the door,there is a kinda desk to be seated and a doorman and manager said we could not have dinner because i was wearing runners and casual cotton combat pants

Christ do they want the custom:eek:

no loss. the place is impersonal, too loud and overpriced. Only in Ireland would they make a restaurant out of a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

He was probably scared that if he refused Crowe, that he'd get hit with something.

its great how people have such admiration for a former cocaine addict like crowe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its great how people have such admiration for a former cocaine addict like crowe.

He was addicted to cocaine? Better forget about all the movies he's starred in and his philanthropy. If he had an addiction and the strength to overcome it he certainly deserves no admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

I've eaten in there a few times and have never been too impressed.
    But I've always struggled to find a nice place around that area.
    Anyone got any recommedations?

Koh is great for lunch Reg_Hurley, lunch and pre-theatre menu is great value and the specials are very good. Top class staff, really good creative dishes and no bullsheet.

• Advertisement

Emm ,eerrrr , ehhhh..... McDonalds ! :D

Emm ,eerrrr , ehhhh..... McDonalds ! :D

Well if the one in o'connell st enforced a no-runners and tracksuits policy the'd be standing idle 24/7!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

That Thunderoad place on Fleet street. I complained and they moved them to the other end of the restaurant, cancelled my bill and gave me a 50 quid voucher. I gave the voucher away and never went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Piliger wrote: »

That Thunderoad place on Fleet street. I complained and they moved them to the other end of the restaurant, cancelled my bill and gave me a 50 quid voucher. I gave the voucher away and never went back.

You complained about the clothes people were wearing in Thunderoad Café? Are you serious?

That place is famous for rowdy clientele/hens/stags/dancing on tables. I'm surprised they cancelled your bill don't mind giving you a voucher.

I'd know what to expect when going there as would most people.

Bono?:eek:

Anyone here ever eaten in a Golf or Sailing club ? Ties and Jackets for Gentlemen required - no exceptions.
    Kinda puts a no sport shirts , jeans or runners rule in perspective.

Anyone here ever eaten in a Golf or Sailing club ? Ties and Jackets for Gentlemen required - no exceptions.
    Kinda puts a no sport shirts , jeans or runners rule in perspective.

Yes,but in fairness if you're going to belong to a club full of tossers,you might as well dress like one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

The Church is the only place I've ever been turned away from because of dress code. We planned to meet for drinks there before jumping on the Luas out to the Roller Disco, so we were all in kind of crazy roller disco gear (lots of bright colours, rainbow, 80s gear). I was so annoyed as it was the rendezvous point for lots of people and we didn't have peoples' numbers, but they didn't care. Haven't been back since and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Degsy wrote: »
    Yes,but in fairness if you're going to belong to a club full of tossers,you might as well dress like one too.

Why is dressing smartly considered dressing like a tosser?

Why take such pride in not looking good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Before the All Ireland final, I, and a group I was with, were asked to leave a temple bar hotel and blooming pub for the heinous act of sporting a Dublin jersey. I was the only one sporting a Dub jersey. This was at one in the afternoon and the plan was to have a few swifts one, quick bite and then leave to get into Croker to watch the second half of the minors. The rest of the group were dressed smart/casual. We all left sharpish.

Asked to leave a Dublin pub, for wearing a Dublin jersey, on All Ireland Final Day.

Load of bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Assuming you're not on a wind up, do you mean to say you spend your meal time checking out what other clientele are wearing? And you expect this standard in a Temple Bar burger joint like the Thunderroad Cafe?

If I owned the place, I would have thrown you out and told you never to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol, people would be put off by clothing alone of other customers while dining, even if the behaviour of those customers is grand? Haha, first world problems how are ya?! I'd object to customers behaving like loud, boorish twats all right in a restaurant - so I'd ask to be moved. Actually on two recent occasions in restaurants I've been at, there was a woman deafeningly laughing and yelling - annoying to the point that the staff were visibly pissed off by her. Funnily enough she was well dressed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i agree with dress codes, i like most places, but sometime i'd like to go somewhere where i know everyone is well dressed and people make an effort, i can see why itwould annoy some people,but i for one support these policies, if you can be bothered to dress the part, go somewhere else, there is definitely a market for these sort of policies imo. And as we dip further into recession it will possibly grow in popularity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Oh right, so not wishing to dress like something out of Brideshead Revisited = taking pride in not looking good?

but sometime i'd like to go somewhere where i know everyone is well dressed and people make an effort, i can see why itwould annoy some people,but i for one support these policies, if you can be bothered to dress the part, go somewhere else

You have missed the point by eighteen miles or you haven't read the thread at all.

I dress up in a shirt and shoes to go to Chapter One or a really nice place with good food and excellent wine, expert, friendly staff and a good atmosphere.

The Church is a large boozer, with half arsed staff serving overpriced, mediocre bar food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You have missed the point by eighteen miles or you haven't read the thread at all.

I dress up in a shirt and shoes to go to Chapter One or a really nice place with good food and excellent wine, expert, friendly staff and a good atmosphere.

The Church is a large boozer, with half arsed staff serving overpriced, mediocre bar food.

Hope you didnt bring your M60 and hunting knife with you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Just because you wear a suit and tie doesn't mean you look good or are dressed smartly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I also have to laugh at the assumption that people in bars wearing suits are automatically well-behaved and in control of themselves. What city have you been drinking in for the last 20 years? Not the same one as me.

And I'm somebody that dresses both ways: I like trainers and casual wear (which doesn't have to mean Air Max and tracksuits) as much as I like a quality suit jacket, overcoat or pair of shoes.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Before the All Ireland final, I, and a group I was with, were asked to leave a temple bar hotel and blooming pub for the heinous act of sporting a Dublin jersey. I was the only one sporting a Dub jersey. This was at one in the afternoon and the plan was to have a few swifts one, quick bite and then leave to get into Croker to watch the second half of the minors. The rest of the group were dressed smart/casual. We all left sharpish.

Asked to leave a Dublin pub, for wearing a Dublin jersey, on All Ireland Final Day.

Load of bollix.

The problem with people wearing colours is there tends to be lots of them,they tend to be excitable and/or pissed and if thier rivals show p there can occasionaly be trouble so unless its a sports bar i wouldnt allow it either.

A very good friend of mine was told to cover up her dublin jersey after the all-ireland in a pubs she was a regular in..the manager was right to ask her,it was a rock bar and he didnt want people in shirts because they dont usually sit quietly and can upset the other clienetelle...if she hadnt covered the shirt there could be hordes of dubs citing precedent and demanding to be served.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

in your opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement