Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

in your opinion.

No, it's a large boozer, that's without a doubt a fact... I have seen it, been in it, eaten the food, dealt with the staff and payed for the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

John_Rambo wrote: »

The Church is a large boozer, with half arsed staff serving overpriced, mediocre bar food.

in your opinion.

Seems to be the opinion of the overall majority. I agree it's crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I daresay it'll be blnked as a result of this thread..i certainly wont be going there,not with the amount of competition from cheaper places serving better food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

in your opinion.

Mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Degsy wrote: »
    I daresay it'll be blnked as a result of this thread..i certainly wont be going there,not with the amount of competition from cheaper places serving better food.

I doubt this thread will affect it's business. The building itself is such an attraction for people drifting in for a scoop and then staying for some food. It's not absolutely dreadful, just not great a bit overpriced.

Don't forget there are people on this very thread that would be willing to go there purely because fellow diners will be wearing a certain type of footwear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Don't see why I should go the trouble of pressing my tails and polishing my top hat only to have to rub shoulders with the great unwashed in their Man Utd shirts .

Seriously though , I think dress codes are a good thing and I wish that more places had them and more important , enforced them.

Agree the Church is overpriced and the service is indifferent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I dont beleive in dress codes but a degree of common sense and decency should be in people's minds when they head out.

I mean the amount of people wearing pjamas in supermarkets is disgracefull..they shouldnt be let in anywhere,they're the ones with the problem,not the management.

Was on holidays recently and was disgusted by the sight of fat,old men sitting barechested in restaurants as if donning a t-shirt to spare other people's appetites was too much like hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Delancey wrote: »
    Anyone here ever eaten in a Golf or Sailing club ? Ties and Jackets for Gentlemen required - no exceptions.
    Kinda puts a no sport shirts , jeans or runners rule in perspective.

The Church however is not in that league and is over priced for the area. it is in an area where prices are generally affordable as opposed to the other side of the river where the same things cost more.
    The Church is not a culinary experience. its a pub with illusions of grandeur, a place where folks should be able to relax, without any pretention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

in your opinion.

Exactly. I wandered in on Sunday when I was in town meeting someone. We had a nice drink and a snack. Nice place. Just as I remembered it.

I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No, it's a large boozer, that's without a doubt a fact... I have seen it, been in it, eaten the food, dealt with the staff and payed for the food.
    I would agree that the downstairs food is pub grub and not even fantastic pub grub; but the food quality in "the gallery" is a bit better (although still not on par with "good" for the price scale).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Degsy wrote: »
    Was on holidays recently and was disgusted by the sight of fat,old men sitting barechested in restaurants as if donning a t-shirt to spare other people's appetites was too much like hard work.

Jesus where did you go on holiday? Benidorm?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

in your opinion.
    SteoL wrote: »
    Seems to be the opinion of the overall majority. I agree it's crap.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Mine too.

Mine too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh right, so not wishing to dress like something out of Brideshead Revisited = taking pride in not looking good?

huh?
    Just because you wear a suit and tie doesn't mean you look good or are dressed smartly.

That is quite correct, but where is all this hostility to looking smart coming from?

There is some serious sneering on this thread towards anyone who has said they like to try and look their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    huh?

That is quite correct, but where is all this hostility to looking smart coming from?

Walk around some parts of Dublin and it's not hard to figure it out ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

huh?

There is some serious sneering on this thread towards anyone who has said they like to try and look their best.

I think it comes from people who dress "smart" looking down at people who don't feel the need to wear a suit and tie when going out to dinner. There is sneering going on from both snides, people in suits sneering at those who wear runners and combats while the people in runners and combats sneering at people who wear suits. I find both a bit bizarre, especially when talking about eating out. Personally when I go out to eat all I care about in the quality of food and the atmosphere(i.e. I can eat enjoy my food in peace), what people wear makes no difference to me.

I think it comes from people who dress "smart" looking down at people who don't feel the need to wear a suit and tie when going out to dinner.

tbh, I think it's people who don't dress smart thinking that they're being looked down on and getting all defensive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

If people were tracksuit bottoms , runners and football shirts then they really can't complain if they are looked down on - dress like a Chav then folks will assume that is exactly what you are.
    What about that is so hard to understand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

If people were tracksuit bottoms , runners and football shirts then they really can't complain if they are looked down on - dress like a Chav then folks will assume that is exactly what you are.

Why are you so concerned with what others wear. And calling people chavs because they don't dress in a way you see fit? :rolleyes: That's the height of pretentiousness.

If you want to go to your snobby restaurants that insist on people wearing monkey suits go for it. I'm heading out to a Thai restaurant tonight wearing jeans and runners and nobody will bat an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The OP didn't wear tracksuit bottoms , runners and a football shirt though.

He worn some casual combat style trousers and runners. Not sure if it was runner runners or casual sneaker-style runners i.e. for style as opposed sporting activity.

There is a difference between dressing casually and dressing like you describe. People out at 5pm are generally not dressed to be going out for the night. Unless they are coming from work, they are usually dressed casually.

Not sure why you mention dressing like a 'chav' since it has nothing really to do with the discussion unless you feel that there is only two ways to dress, really well or like someone coming from the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does tracksuit bottoms here include cantos and a rugby jersey? would a Dublin GAA jersey be looked upon as scumbag attire while a Leinster jersey be deemed 'neat dress'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

huh?

No there isn't at all. :confused: Looking good doesn't have to be going the whole dress suit hog.
    There's hostility towards snobs who can't eat their dinner if the person next to them is wearing a hoodie (and that's not the same as dressing like a skanger).

My comment was in relation to the way you just threw it out there that people here take pride in not looking good.
    You'd swear there was haute couture and then chav gear with nothing in between...

Oh and to someone else: it's not an "opinion" that a pub is big. It either is or it isn't big.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fuinseog wrote: »
    does tracksuit bottoms here include cantos and a rugby jersey? would a Dublin GAA jersey be looked upon as scumbag attire while a Leinster jersey be deemed 'neat dress'?

i think we are dodging a point here and the sort of people 'associated' with certain types of clothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Surely it's easy to tell when a person is a potential troublemaker and when they're just dressed casually. It's hilarious the way a hoodie or trainers etc = junkie garb. Talk about sheltered! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Casual combat pants ?

The world really has gone to hell.

Casual combat pants ?

Who doesn't enjoy a little casual combat every now and again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it comes from people who dress "smart" looking down at people who don't feel the need to wear a suit and tie when going out to dinner. There is sneering going on from both snides, people in suits sneering at those who wear runners and combats while the people in runners and combats sneering at people who wear suits. I find both a bit bizarre, especially when talking about eating out. Personally when I go out to eat all I care about in the quality of food and the atmosphere(i.e. I can eat enjoy my food in peace), what people wear makes no difference to me.
    It's, frankly, ridiculous that immediately the definition of "dressing smart" means wearing a suit. Is it really that big of a gap? Tracksuits/combats and trainers or a bloody suit?

In all honesty the OP probably wouldn't have been turned away if he was wearing decent jeans a nice t-shirt/shirt and proper shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

tbh, I think it's people who don't dress smart thinking that they're being looked down on and getting all defensive about it.

They are being looked down on, read the thread. People are saying they wouldn't eat in a place if people were dressed like the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

It's, frankly, ridiculous that immediately the definition of "dressing smart" means wearing a suit. Is it really that big of a gap? Tracksuits/combats and trainers or a bloody suit?

In all honesty the OP probably wouldn't have been turned away if he was wearing decent jeans a nice t-shirt/shirt and proper shoes.

Seeing as if you are not dressing smart you are therefore seen to be dressing like a 'chav', then I guess not.

Smart is shirt, shoes, jeans, or a suit.

Anything else means you are dressed like a junkie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

That attitude annoys me, same in work.

Don't employ this guy:

article-2142225-12DC7C65000005DC-1_306x423.jpg

Get this one, he's wearing a suit so projects a professional image:

Bertie-Ahern1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Shirt, (brown) shoes, jeans most likely means you are from Roscommon Town or somewhere similar and spend most of your time queuing up outside of Flannerys. It's the country version of tracksuit bottoms and hoodies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement