Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

sasta le wrote: »
    Went to The Church Bar while in Dublin

It was around 5pm and when i went in the door,there is a kinda desk to be seated and a doorman and manager said we could not have dinner because i was wearing runners and casual cotton combat pants

Christ do they want the custom:eek:

The food there is hardly fine dining, it's pretty much casual / pub grub so it's a bit ridiculous to expect people to dress up.
    They obviously don't want or need passing trade.

I've been there a few times and at different times of the day and never got any hassle . I definitely wasn't dressed up on any of those occasions.

However we had a work do there last year and one of my colleagues was refused entry because he was wearing runners.
    It was a total shambles. Our work social club had booked us in for a BBQ there.
    So , we paid in advance for the BBQ , we were in the outdoor part of the venue and not really interacting with the other clientele. It seemed very petty to refuse entry because of shoes.. When he was essentially attending a private party.
    What's worse is I went straight there from work and was also wearing runners. I wasn't refused entry nor was I given any hassle for it but I am female so maybe that made the difference.

If they're going to have a dress code they should openly advertise that fact and apply the same standards to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Laneyh wrote: »
    The food there is hardly fine dining, it's pretty much casual / pub grub so it's a bit ridiculous to expect people to dress up.

I've been there a few times and at different times of the day and never got any hassle . I definitely wasn't dressed up on any of those occasions.

However we had a work do there last year and one of my colleagues was refused entry because he was wearing runners.
    So , we paid in advance for the BBQ , we were in the outdoor part of the venue and not really interacting with the other clientele. It seemed very petty to refuse entry because of shoes.. When he was essentially attending a private party.
    What's worse is I went straight there from work and was also wearing runners. I wasn't refused entry nor was I given any hassle for it but I am female so maybe that made the difference.

If they're going to have a dress code they should openly advertise that fact and apply the same standards to everyone.

Who goes to a work night out wearing runners!?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Me and most of the people I work with. We even wear runners in work. In fact I don't own a pair of shoes and haven't done since I left school nine years ago.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Me and most of the people I work with. We even wear runners in work.

You work in a gym?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

You work in a gym?:cool:

I work in an office and I wear runners to work. :confused:

• Advertisement

reprazant wrote: »
    I work in an office and I wear runners to work. :confused:

You mean like a pair of addidas or something like these?:eek:

No.

In the last few years I have only been refused from three pubs in Dublin for wearing runners. The Church, Brew Dock and Capitol.

The bouncer outside Capitol stood there making snide comments at us (two of us were wearing runners) until the manager realised the 12 people already inside were getting up to leave. He ended up following us about 40 feet up Georges Street trying to get us to come back :pac:

I understand places having dress codes if they're trying to be particularly fancy or whatever but I wouldn't say any of those bars are exclusive or fancy in any way.

No.

In the last few years I have only been refused from three pubs in Dublin for wearing runners. The Church, Brew Dock and Capitol.

The bouncer outside Capitol stood there making snide comments at us (two of us were wearing runners) until the manager realised the 12 people already inside were getting up to leave. He ended up following us about 40 feet up Georges Street trying to get us to come back :pac:

I understand places having dress codes if they're trying to be particularly fancy or whatever but I wouldn't say any of those bars are exclusive or fancy in any way.

As per post above define your definition of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

As per post above define your definition of runners.

Yeah half the problem with posts in this thread is the very very broad spectrum of shoes that fall under the vague Irish description of "runners".

The likes of these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeU57arA-wP5hmfE6EY8DYkACyK03ONrU-tf3OUCeenYwXCSaz

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfIqzeKLuurjtrNPZkQAGl6iLTSsYspQPqTDawlB4O4xemph21HA

• Advertisement

The likes of these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeU57arA-wP5hmfE6EY8DYkACyK03ONrU-tf3OUCeenYwXCSaz

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfIqzeKLuurjtrNPZkQAGl6iLTSsYspQPqTDawlB4O4xemph21HA

They're not runners lad - nothing wrong with them.

These are runners:
    nike%2Btrainers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Actually, there is a difference. I have a pair of nike air max and I wouldn't ever wear them out. I know i'll get hassle. I even call them my knacker runners.
    I have a few pairs of addidas retro "runners" that I never get problems with.
    I'm at the age now that if I'm refused because of pair of retro addidas, it's a place I don't want to drink in. Back when I was in my early 20's I used to argue with bouncers. Worked the odd time too. Now I just turn away and never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Brew Dock?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

No.

hummm maybe you frequent clubs that have lax door policies perhaps, to go along with your offices lax dress codes? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The Brew Dock is only open a couple of weeks.

Sister pub to Against the Grain.

How did you manage to get refused in there?

Yeah, Brew Dock at about 7.30 on a Tuesday. I wouldn't mind only I go to Against the Grain quite a bit, not any more though.

I do tend to frequent places with lax door policies. I have no interest in dressing up yo get in somewhere. Capitol and The Church were not my choices but the vast majority of pubs seem to have completely done away with dress codes in favour of having a few bodies in the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

That's the handy thing about wearing runners on a night out. You are automatically barred from all the mediocre pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

hummm maybe you frequent clubs that have lax door policies perhaps, to go along with your offices lax dress codes? :pac:
    Sensible door policies, more like. In any of the Dublin clubs I'd rate - and I can count them on one had; one finger if we're talking about great rather than good - I'd say less than 15% are wearing shoes, yet they manage to maintain a friendly, respectable well-behaved clientele.

There are three requistites for a good club: good music, good people and good atmosphere, and none of these are determined by the choice of the punters' footwear. Actually, if someone is put off by this lack of a "dress policy" I think it's mutually beneficial for all parties than they'll stay away. Someone who thinks that shoes should be required to get into a club proabably isn't going to vibe too well with people who are out to have a good time and know the things that are important for a good night.

"Good night last night, man?"

"Yeah, it was off the wall, you'd want to have seen the amount of pricey leather brogues around the place!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Sensible door policies, more like. In any of the Dublin clubs I'd rate - and I can count them on one had; one finger if we're talking about great rather than good - I'd say less than 15% are wearing shoes, yet they manage to maintain a friendly, respectable well-behaved clientele.

There are three requistites for a good club: good music, good people and good atmosphere, and none of these are determined by the choice of the punters' footwear. Actually, if someone is put off by this lack of a "dress policy" I think it's mutually beneficial for all parties than they'll stay away. Someone who thinks that shoes should be required to get into a club proabably isn't going to vibe too well with people who are out to have a good time and know the things that are important for a good night.

"Good night last night, man?"

"Yeah, it was off the wall, you'd want to have seen the amount of pricey leather brogues around the place!"

Could you imagine everybody in The Twisted Pepper walking around pointing out the fact that a lot of the patrons there are wearing runners? Oh the horror man I feel sick just thinking of it. Who cares about the tunes?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

nearly everyone in my office with wears runners to work, therefore when we go on a work night out everyone would be wearing runners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Pace2008 wrote: »

i would disagree, you can tell alot about someone by how they present themselves socially

of course there are places where shoes would be out of place, aka twisted pepper, but most clubs i would frequent would require shoes, runner wearing/trackie folk would generally have the demeanor that would be undesirable of most clubs, in my humble opinion, no doubt I will get bashed for generalisation but alas, I was been to my fair share of nights out and you do notice patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wear both types of clothes out at various times: shoes, jeans and suit jackets or jeans, retro trainers and polo shirts. I spend a lot of money on clothes whether they are quality casual wear or more dressy clothes.

I would never, however, care what other clientele are wearing. I'm not a twat or 19 years old anymore. The only clothes I care about are my own.

I have also worked in offices where I have worn trainers, t-shirts and jeans and I am a skilled professional educated tto masters level.

Some very silly and snobbish posting in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I couldn't possibly be seen anywhere unless I was dressed as set out below :D - a gentleman always maintains standards..........

4Fulldress%20Notch%20Tails.jpg

Paparazzo wrote: »
    That attitude annoys me, same in work.

Don't employ this guy:

article-2142225-12DC7C65000005DC-1_306x423.jpg

Get this one, he's wearing a suit so projects a professional image:

Bertie-Ahern1.jpg

Haha I like I like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

i would disagree, you can tell alot about someone by how they present themselves socially

of course there are places where shoes would be out of place, aka twisted pepper, but most clubs i would frequent would require shoes, runner wearing/trackie folk would generally have the demeanor that would be undesirable of most clubs, in my humble opinion, no doubt I will get bashed for generalisation but alas, I was been to my fair share of nights out and you do notice patterns.

Cause runner wearing clearly goes with tracksuits.

What happened to my relatively respectible non air max Zara style trendy "trainers". Surely they would be more socially cool and acceptable than my Kickers, Ben Sherman or other underdeveloped trend lagging outdated in style, fashion and comfort shoes that somehow give me preference for a club. :D

Please...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

That attitude annoys me, same in work.

Don't employ this guy:

article-2142225-12DC7C65000005DC-1_306x423.jpg

Get this one, he's wearing a suit so projects a professional image:

Bertie-Ahern1.jpg

Are they not both crooks?

One stole code and the other stole money.

I don't think I would be hiring either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Laneyh wrote: »

do you complain to management. was he compensated? i would have dug in my heels

Actually, there is a difference. I have a pair of nike air max and I wouldn't ever wear them out. I know i'll get hassle. I even call them my knacker runners.
    I have a few pairs of addidas retro "runners" that I never get problems with.
    I'm at the age now that if I'm refused because of pair of retro addidas, it's a place I don't want to drink in. Back when I was in my early 20's I used to argue with bouncers. Worked the odd time too. Now I just turn away and never go back.

Bit like meself so. I usually smile, tell them don't worry there is approx 100 bars or clubs I can enjoy myself in, request security membwrs name and say manager will be informed of their attitude on the morning. If I'm can see you are serious it usually wipes smile off their face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

SteoL wrote: »
    Bit like meself so. I usually smile, tell them don't worry there is approx 100 bars or clubs I can enjoy myself in, request security membwrs name and say manager will be informed of their attitude on the morning. If I'm can see you are serious it usually wipes smile off their face.

Wouldnt bother my arse...if the doormen are being assholes it usually means the venue is run by an asshole.

I dont want to be paying some dickhead's wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've worn Converse into loads of pubs and restaurants in Dublin and never been looked at twice. Ditto himself. Then again I do have a rule never to bother with a pub where I have to queue or pay to get in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement