Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Doubt complaining to management will do anything. He's probably enforcing a management policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

They should have a clear and detailed sign at the door

I was in shopping at 5 in the afternoon with the girlfriend,someone pointed out my o neils rain jacket,IT WAS RAINING,what does an average person wear when in town shopping
    I was far from looking like a skanger

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

sasta le wrote: »

I was in shopping at 5 in the afternoon with the girlfriend,someone pointed out my o neils rain jacket,IT WAS RAINING,what does an average person wear when in town shopping
    I was far from looking like a skanger
    At 5? Usually a suit with topcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

if you can be bothered to dress the part, go somewhere else, there is definitely a market for these sort of policies imo. And as we dip further into recession it will possibly grow in popularity

LOL at this. What's the part? Chugging down a bit of greasy bar food in between skulling back pints of lager ?

Show me a pub full of classy looking clientele come closing time.

I couldn't give a fiddlers what the other people in same place are wearing once they're not causing trouble. I'd sooner a place has a door policy that can weed out the scumbags and trouble makers based on discretion and past experience instead of by rigid dress based rules that any dangerous scumbag can bypass with a quick wardrobe change.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mr.S wrote: »
    They probably thought you where a scumbag/would cause a fight/didn't the general look of you.

Very few places in Dublin have a strict dress code (as long as your not in tracksuits obviously).

I've been to the The Church a few times (for dinner, functions, club) and never dressed up, always wearing jeans / tshirt / hoody / vans shoes etc

Make a complaint to management if your really bothered but I doubt it'l get you anywhere.

This.

Some people can get away with combats and a t-shirt anywhere and others will be blanked for wearing a pair of faded jeans and a Ben Sherman checked shirt. Refusal is normally down to the person involved than their attire. Clothing is just an excuse and easier for the doorman than saying 'I think you're a scroate'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They do. There is a sign on the front door stating that "proper attire" (their words, not mine) is required & that athletic gear is not allowed. It is clearly visible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

ProudDUB wrote: »
    They do. There is a sign on the front door stating that "proper attire" (their words, not mine) is required & that athletic gear is not allowed. It is clearly visible.

Fair enough really didnt see any sign that stood out except a menu

Kinda feeling that people think im in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The sign is on the actual front door itself. It is taped to the glass of it. It is A4 (if not bigger) sized. It is impossible to miss as you reach for the handle to open the door, but I suppose it could be missed if someone else opened the door, and you just followed them in. It is not on the metal stand where the menu is displayed a few feet from the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fair enough really didnt see any sign that stood out except a menu

Kinda feeling that people think im in the wrong

In the wrong is not the phrase I'd use.

Just not in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Went in here Sat to watch the games, a group of 4 lads, with 3 of us wearing runners. Not only did the bouncer not mention that fact but he opened the door for us and gave a cheery hello.

• Advertisement

I was in shopping at 5 in the afternoon with the girlfriend,someone pointed out my o neils rain jacket,IT WAS RAINING,what does an average person wear when in town shoppingr

fonzworth-69.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

205850.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Church Cafe Bar

Hi,

We do have a neat dress policy in place at all times in The Church and while this may not be to everyone's liking we would like to think that we are keeping our standards even if it means we may miss out on some business. The policy is a neat dress at all times of the day and we feel tracksuits do not constitute neat dress as well as certain types of trainers. We are aware these are very tough times and no business is in a position to easily refuse business however we firmly believe in keeping the standards and the vast majority of our customers seem to be happy with this. We are always happy to deal with any complaints and also if a bad call has been made by a member of doorstaff and there is always a manager on duty that can come to the door if requested or you can email reservations@thechurch.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

For a nice classy place in a tough area - you can't say better than that. Well said Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Classy - lol. It's a standard super-pub. Blokes in suits get drunk and rowdy, as do girls in dressy outfits - the latter more likely to drink cocktails and wine and other drinks that will cause extreme pissedness. It's grand, not a bad venue, but it's amusing the way people view it as kinda "exclusive". And tough area - wtf?!

I honestly wouldn't care if a person next to me was wearing a shellsuit, sovereigns and gold chains provided they behaved civilly. It's just clothes, no effect on others whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dudess wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't care if a person next to me was wearing a shellsuit, sovereigns and gold chains provided they behaved civilly. It's just clothes, no effect on others whatsoever.

The thing is the type of person with the attire you described above tends not to behave civilly and a lot of people wouldn't be too impressed with that type of clientele. I know I wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Hi,

We do have a neat dress policy in place at all times in The Church and while this may not be to everyone's liking we would like to think that we are keeping our standards even if it means we may miss out on some business. The policy is a neat dress at all times of the day and we feel tracksuits do not constitute neat dress as well as certain types of trainers. We are aware these are very tough times and no business is in a position to easily refuse business however we firmly believe in keeping the standards and the vast majority of our customers seem to be happy with this. We are always happy to deal with any complaints and also if a bad call has been made by a member of doorstaff and there is always a manager on duty that can come to the door if requested or you can email reservations@thechurch.ie

You might like to put the neat dress policy on your website, and on emails to confirm bookings, to avoid confusion in future.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The thing is the type of person with the attire you described above tends not to behave civilly
    Isn't it strange how if you jumped to this kind of conclusion about a particular group of people based on their race or their religion or their family status, you would be breaking the law. But jumping to this kind of conclusion about a particular group of people based on their clothing (which is effectively seen a marker for social class) is perfectly legal and acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

You might like to put the neat dress policy on your website, and on emails to confirm bookings, to avoid confusion in future.

It's a pub, not a gym.
    Isn't it strange how if you jumped to this kind of conclusion about a particular group of people based on their race or their religion or their family status, you would be breaking the law. But jumping to this kind of conclusion about a particular group of people based on their clothing (which is effectively seen a marker for social class) is perfectly legal and acceptable?

You choose your own clothing.

If you want to go around all day in a tracksuit you have to accept that you are presenting yourself in a way that might not suit certain establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    do you complain to management. was he compensated? i would have dug in my heels

Alas no. I suppose he had more sense than to bother arguing with door staff about it and just went home.
    I did complain to my workmates who made the booking as I think they could have done more to assist.

I would've thought that the fact the venue was booked and the BBQ part of the evening was prepaid implied that our company was vouching for all of us.
    If anyone was stupid enough to cause trouble or do anything they shouldn't have The Church had the company name and all of our names.So I found the whole refusal a bit strange really.
    The guy was coming straight from work , so wasn't drinking anywhere else or scruffily dressed at all.
    I guess maybe I was lucky I arrived with a few other people and they just didn't look at my feet

Anyway, if neat dress is essential at all times of the day there they should make that more obvious on their premises and also reiterate it when taking bookings.

I see that they have replied here so if it's the policy so be it ... I just think it could be highlighted more so people are not put in an embarrassing position of being refused admittance and made to feel like a scumbag merely for choice of footwear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

For my part, I have never made any comment about certain types of people wearing certain types of clothes.

My one and only view on this matter is that I think it looks nicer when everyone is looking smart and I enjoy that environment. I have yet to hear any reason why I should not have this view, or why some establishments should not be allowed to cater for people who share my view.

• Advertisement

Who goes to a work night out wearing runners!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Well I did for one
    I had to work late unexpectedly and therefore went straight from work to the event.
    I work in an office where they have a casual dress code. Casual dress is open to interpretation but I think everyone knows that it's not ultra casual.
    I won't be turning up to work in a tracksuit/ pyjamas / shorts any time soon

Similarly neat dress is open to interpretation but i wasn't too worried about going to a barbecue in a beer garden wearing runners.
    I was wearing clean , reasonably new jeans a jumper plus a jacket .. It wouldn't win any style awards but nor did it stand out. Many of my colleagues would've been equally casually dressed. The guy who wasn't left in was wearing converse type trainers / runners and jeans. He was mostly just unlucky to be stopped I got there earlier than he did . The presumption that his outfit would lower the tone of the establishment or that he was a wrongun is way off though.

If I worked as a labourer or mechanic or farmer and presumed to go there straight from work I could see why you'd be aghast but in terms of the dress code they could afford to exercise common sense over fashion sense really

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    For my part, I have never made any comment about certain types of people wearing certain types of clothes.

My one and only view on this matter is that I think it looks nicer when everyone is looking smart and I enjoy that environment. I have yet to hear any reason why I should not have this view, or why some establishments should not be allowed to cater for people who share my view.

I would say you're absolutely entitled to that view.. I guess the establishments should just be as clear as possible about that preference

A lot of cocktail bars and the like would have a neat dress requirement or at least encourage people to dress up
    Similarly, anyone going for afternoon tea for example would probably make an effort. However, I could see why someone would assume it would be alright to just stop off for bar food in whatever clothes they happened to be wearing. I've certainly done this plenty of times.

In terms of nightlife there are plenty of places that have these policies and plenty that don't . The ones that don't tend to be more aligned to my taste in terms of music, crowd and general atmosphere. If the ones that do float your boat I've no issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The thing is the type of person with the attire you described above tends not to behave civilly and a lot of people wouldn't be too impressed with that type of clientele. I know I wouldn't!
    Whatever about security refusing them admission, some people here wouldn't like to sit near them or see them in the same establishment - I'm just saying it surely doesn't matter what they're wearing so long as they're behaving reasonably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dudess wrote: »
    Classy - lol. It's a standard super-pub. Blokes in suits get drunk and rowdy, as do girls in dressy outfits - the latter more likely to drink cocktails and wine and other drinks that will cause extreme pissedness. It's grand, not a bad venue, but it's amusing the way people view it as kinda "exclusive". And tough area - wtf?!

The only thing it *is* relative to other establishments in the area is expensive.

Its not remotely interesting or exclusive otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You must have looked dodge OP
    Ive gone there in a slayer tshirt, faded jeans, and vans. Was allowed in with a smile - no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Piliger wrote: »
    For a nice classy place in a tough area - you can't say better than that. Well said Church.

What?

Just because it's north of the Liffey doesn't mean it's a 'tough' area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Your view wants to exclude people. That's not very nice in my opinion.

Do you think it's right a large group of people were let in and one was refused for wearing runners? Would you have left if you saw a pair of runners in there?

On the flip side I can't see any of the "casual" pubs or rock bars not letting people in because they are overdressed. I also can't see the clientele giving a blind bit of notice as to what anyone else is wearing.

Snobby attitude at the end of the day.

Turpentine wrote: »
    establishments.

Pubs that serve pub food, you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Your view wants to exclude people. That's not very nice in my opinion.

Nope. It's not excluding anyone. Because anyone can dress neatly to gain admission.

I've also never said these are the only places I'm interested in going to. If I was with a large group I'd go somewhere with a more relaxed dress code. For example, I drink in Grogans more than anywhere else!

And there is nothing snobby about appreciating neat dress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Nope. It's not excluding anyone. Because anyone can dress neatly to gain admission.

And there is nothing snobby about appreciating neat dress.

You can't change the way you're dressed if you're already standing at the door.

Going somewhere to be in the presence of people who are dressed the same as you and not wanting anyone different there is pretty snobby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement