Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church Bar refused dinner cause i was wearing runners+casual combats?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Ah so when the Emos get together and hang out, all dressed the same... they are being snobs ... ? interesting angle :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Piliger wrote: »
    Ah so when the Emos get together and hang out, all dressed the same... they are being snobs ... ? interesting angle :rolleyes:

By the very definition of the word. If they are looking down on or excluding others for not dressing the same as them. Consult your dictionary. I'll leave the rolleyes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    You can't change the way you're dressed if you're already standing at the door.

A bit of forward planning never hurt anyone. Or you could just not dress as an athlete and expect to be welcomed into a dining establishment.
    Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Going somewhere to be in the presence of people who are dressed the same as you and not wanting anyone different there is pretty snobby.

I don't think they want everyone dressed the same, they just don't want them wearing sports gear. If you don't like that, just go somewhere else.

I don't know what all the whinging is about here to be honest. I thought most pubs had a "Neat Dress Essential" sign of some sort i.e. it's what you should expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The OP was wearing camouflage FFS... was he going hunting? I highly doubt this is a "sport" clothes issue; if he was stopping in for a pint on the way home from the gym next door I bet you he'd be let in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    there is nothing snobby about appreciating neat dress.
    Nobody said there was. There IS something snobby though about not being able to share the same public space as someone who isn't what you deem dressed well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Because anyone can dress neatly to gain admission.
    Doesn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of using a dress code to maintain an orderly atmosphere. It's the same people coming in, with the same behaviours, just wearing different clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So the question remains: will the amount of casually dressed people driven away from The Church be mitigated by the number of smartly-dressed people who want to check it out?

My guess is not, as their defense of the venue (given its location in a weally, weally wough area on the wrong side of thr river) is largely rhetorical. :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    So the question remains: will the amount of casually dressed people driven away from The Church be mitigated by the number of smartly-dressed people who want to check it out?

Definitely.

Definitely.

Maybe take a rain check.

Passed by earlier and there appeared to be a few corpulent tourists in shorts and sandals eating there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Maybe take a rain check.

Passed by earlier and there appeared to be a few corpulent tourists in shorts and sandals eating there.

:eek:

Are you ok?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Maybe take a rain check.

Fecking Germans.

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

Are you ok?

Joking about the supposed dress code. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

You can understand the rationale behind dress codes though. While you are in a restaurant, the other diners are just part of the experience. If you wanted to go for a nice meal and the walls were unpainted and the carpet was torn up in places while the waiter wore a pair of 501s and a Grateful Dead t-shirt, you probably would be less inclined to pay €15 for pasta. It could well be the same for other diners, who as far as our protagonist diner is concerned, unaware of their personality, thoughts, feelings and dreams, are just breathing decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yillan wrote: »
    You can understand the rationale behind dress codes though. While you are in a restaurant, the other diners are just part of the experience. If you wanted to go for a nice meal and the walls were unpainted and the carpet was torn up in places while the waiter wore a pair of 501s and a Grateful Dead t-shirt, you probably would be less inclined to pay €15 for pasta. It could well be the same for other diners, who as far as our protagonist diner is concerned, unaware of their personality, thoughts, feelings and dreams, are just breathing decor.

Creative writing forum thattaway ===>

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MickCol

Wow Pilger, you've changed your tune. Trolling?
    I did see an earlier thread on restaurant recommendations but some were very pricey especially as prices have dropped in so many places in the last year. For example I would consider Eddie Rockets way over priced now.

Anyone recommend budget places to eat ?

But I hope you found some budget places that met your attire expectations.

Somebody sitting outside there today wearing a Dublin jersey. :pac:

Did you throw a barrell at him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

You know, tht'a exactly it. Maybe that's where I eat all the waiters look like Jim Morrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If you wanted to go for a nice meal and the walls were unpainted and the carpet was torn up in places while the waiter wore a pair of 501s and a Grateful Dead t-shirt, you probably would be less inclined to pay €15 for pasta. It could well be the same for other diners, who as far as our protagonist diner is concerned, unaware of their personality, thoughts, feelings and dreams, are just breathing decor.

Bang on. And I'd be quite happy knowing that I'm paying €5 for the pasta and €10 for the ambience. I like ambience more than I like pasta :)

This area really is rough.

Someone today asked me would I like to buy grapes, their attire was at the very least questionable.

I mean really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Begs the question: What state must the OP really have been in?

MickCol wrote: »
    Wow Pilger, you've changed your tune. Trolling?

But I hope you found some budget places that met your attire expectations.

I'll ignore your juvenile intro.

I find loads of places where you can eat on a budget, and where people have self respect and respect for others. Sadly there are a few places that attract the bums of this world and it is distressing to encounter them. But it's easily fixed. Clothes are more than a covering or a way to keep warm. They are our interface with everyone around us and they tell everyone around us what we think about ourselves and what we think about them.

they tell everyone around us what we think about ourselves and what we think about them.

I imagine this holds true until you reach around 17.

I would hope that most people have a bit more to their personality than relying on their clothes to say something about them.

It's not like everyone wants to run around dressed like an emo to tell everyone they're feeling depressed and everything in life is shiote.

Do we not grow out of being so judgmental by the time we can legally purchase a pint?

Clearly most of us grow in to some self of self respect and respect for others, and recognise human nature, while a few go in reverse ....

Warning to everyone.

Cut out the personal bollox, the jibes and sneaky comments.

Next person to step out of line is getting a weeks ban.

The person after that, a month, and so on.

I'd be quite happy knowing that I'm paying €5 for the pasta and €10 for the ambience. I like ambience more than I like pasta
    You... care more about how a food-serving outlet looks than... its food?
    Sadly there are a few places that attract the bums of this world and it is distressing to encounter them.
    tumblr_lqcdu92u861qk7m36o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I do not know why they have a dress code in the first place. the inflated prices will keep undesirables away.

There are undesirables with plenty of money.

Dudess wrote: »
    tumblr_lqcdu92u861qk7m36o1_500.jpg

Don't feel bad just because you look like David Hyde Pierce. Being a geek is no disgrace. At least he can dress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

When you turn 18 and want to get into the bar, the first thing you learn is: bring ID.

The second thing: don't be wearing runners or trackies.

This isn't news...

Don't wear sports gear when you're not exercising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement