Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 8: Holy Wars Vs Cemetery Gates

Options
  • 09-05-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

I feel Pantera and Megadeth need to be covered in one of these threads. So I have decided to put them against each other. For the songs choices I went for Holy Wars by Megadeth and Cemetery Gates by Pentera, both of which are argubly the best songs from both bands so I think it will be interesting to see if I can get create some division in this thread.

For my choice I went for Cemetery Gates. I'm not really a big fan of Megadeth anyway, and Cemetery Gates has that nice tune that I like, before it get's heavy.

Which song do you prefer? 40 votes

Holy Wars
    0% 0 votes
    Cemetery Gates
    100% 40 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Two top songs, however Cemetery gates gets the nod for me. Is more dynamic and has a lot more soul than Holy Wars, with Dimebag's Talent really shining through.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Cemetery Gates by a long shot. I don't even like Pantera that much but they had some good tunes and Megadeth are boring to me, completely based in technique. Incidentally did you know that Phil Anselmo is a huge Smiths fan? It seems ironic that one of the hardmen of metal likes The Smiths.

"I adore them: the honesty and great songwriting, and everybody in the band is just a badass."

And Cemetery Gates is the name of a Smiths song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Megadeth for me. Cemetery Gates is a rocker but Holy Wars edges it for a class tune and great message.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Holy Wars for me. Great tune to work a heavy bag to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

This ones for the cause! Holy Wars by a long sot for me. One of the best metal songs ever written, the intro riff is an absolute ballbuster, and the thrash/solo section towards the end is absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Incidentally did you know that Phil Anselmo is a huge Smiths fan? It seems ironic that one of the hardmen of metal likes The Smiths.

that's messed up. that's why phils messed up... always hated ansalmo's unhinged act as I saw it, he was a fairy metaller before that but stick morrisey in pantera n I would swoon. *sigh* .. the handful of hardcore fans I knew were similarly 'unhinged' knuckleheads so I go Holy Wars. Pantsera did never do it for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

LH Pathe wrote:
    that's messed up.
    Yeah, a metal vocalist liking non-metal music is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

Holy Wars all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Strangely enough I was listening to "Cemetry Gates" by the Smiths when I opened up this thread, nice coincidence. Already knew Anselmo liked the Smiths. I agree with Malice's sarcasm in his comment, big deal; I would think less of him if he didn't listen to anything else but Metal, it's a silly plain minded view to have in all honesty. And on a side note there is nothing wrong with the Smiths, they're great band I reckon.

Love both bands, but I love PanterA more. Savage band, nothing short of that; but I voted for Holy Wars... The Punishment Due because I just think it's better than Cemetery Gates, Holy Wars is class, and I think PanterA have dozens upon dozens of songs that I think are better, but that's not to say Cemetery Gates isn't a good track, just not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Holy Wars, no contest. Cemetery Gates is a grand tune but it takes real genius to marry serious socio-political commentary on the influence of church over state to the plot of the Punisher - delivered in the first person, no less - with a straight face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gonna go with Holy Wars...

Why?

Cos it's Holy Wars! "This one is for the cause!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lord lucan wrote: »
    Megadeth for me. Cemetery Gates is a rocker but Holy Wars edges it for a class tune and great message.
    This +1 for me

Also, as much as I like Pantera, Dave Mustaine is god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Cemetary Gates hands down. Just a phenomenal vocal. Dynamic & tempo are perfect too. So stunning, goosebump beautiful. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Dave Mustaine Phil Anselmo is god.

FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Cemetary Gates for me!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's certainly a balanced thread this time around. Glad I went for this:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Riddle101 wrote: »
    It's certainly a balanced thread this time around. Glad I went for this:D.

;)

Love me some Pantera but Holy Wars is a winner of biblical proportions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

FYP :p

YWMP

you wrecked my post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Very close on this one but I went for Holy Wars.
    Love the riff and the solos.
    I love Pantera but not mad on Cemetary gates as a song, I know most pantera fans class it as one of the best but I was never a huge fan of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Holy Wars, no contest. Great song , Cemetery Gates is a bit formulaic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Can't believe Pantera are losing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Can't believe Pantera are losing.
    I can. I went for Pantera too, but Megadeth are 10 times as popular.
    I think half their tunes are, well, not very tune-ish myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The songs are a bit too different to have going against each other I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Cemetary Gates!!! Awesome song- amazing vocals, melody, lyrics and riffage! The Smiths reference is cool too- them and Pantera are two of my favorite bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Cemetary Gates all the way for me. I've never gotten into Megadeth. But I amn't a fan of thrash at all so I'm a little biased there.

Love the great melodies in Cemetary Gates, the rocking chorus, solo, and just think it's a better song overall.

It's a tight poll though!

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Cemetary Gates all the way for me. I've never gotten into Megadeth. But I amn't a fan of thrash at all so I'm a little biased there.
    Oh no, metal subcategorisation time... can't Pantera be thrash too please?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I voted Holy Wars.

Cemetery Gates is a good song, Holy Wars is a great one. Cemetery Gates is a bit too predicable and cyclical. Fairly typical dynamics. Holy Wars is much of a riff rollercoaster (riffercoaster?) with a few different tempos and sections.

JMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Pantera for me. Looks like its going down to the wire this time!

Cemetery Gates is a bit too predicable and cyclical. Fairly typical dynamics. Holy Wars is much of a riff rollercoaster (riffercoaster?) with a few different tempos and sections.
    That's what turns me off Megadeth a lot, where I adore Peace Sells or Symphony of destruction. A lot of their songs drift off into jazz or prog or something awful, and no, I don't think they have that many killer riffs to pretend they can fit 10 into every tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

Holy Wars by a metal mile. Hairs stick up on the back of my neck every time I hear that opening riff. It's pretty much a perfect song for me.

Advertisement