Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 8: Holy Wars Vs Cemetery Gates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Oh no, metal subcategorisation time... can't Pantera be thrash too please?:D

Of course they can! I just wouldn't consider them as thrash as such. And thrash isn't a crazy subcategorisation! Let's just say then that I find the style of Cemetary Gates more enjoyable than Holy Wars :D

Edit: And on that point, I agree with Pyr0. They're two very different style songs. So it's not a great comparison in that sense. As Cemetary Gates is more ballady as such, where as Holy Wars is way more in your face, fast, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

buck65 wrote: »
    Holy Wars, no contest. Great song , Cemetery Gates is a bit formulaic for me.

Absolutely agree as Cemetery gates flows with the intro-verse-bridge-chorus-verse etc, Holy wars certainly throws formula out the window but manages to flow majestically. Two great songs love both bands but think also that Holy wars means more to Megadeth as a band than Cemetery gates does to Pantera (or did) in fact in their final shows the song wasnt even included in their sets whereas u go see Megadeth its nearly a cert youll be bangin your head to it and for me that never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Of course they can! I just wouldn't consider them as thrash as such. And thrash isn't a crazy subcategorisation! Let's just say then that I find the style of Cemetary Gates more enjoyable than Holy Wars :D

Edit: And on that point, I agree with Pyr0. They're two very different style songs. So it's not a great comparison in that sense. As Cemetary Gates is more ballady as such, where as Holy Wars is way more in your face, fast, etc.

I suppose I went for the songs choices because both songs were very popular to both bands, and while I can't speak for every Pantera fan. I consider Cemetary Gates to be one of their best songs. Holy Wars to be one of Megadeth's best. Just seemed like a nice idea to put both songs against each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

point depot 26/09/1992## its on my singed jacket

pantera won

cool my jacket says 09-25-92 but the wensite says 09-26-92

olso how was that 20 years ago

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

holy wars for me the other song depresses me :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm going to give this to Pantera because even if Pantera lost we could still expect a gratuitous applause on the behalf of the band at the factious awards ceremony in my head

Mustaine, on the other hand, is like a spoilt child who just doesn't like anything that he's not directly responsible for or able to insist he deliberately created

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I hadn't heard either of those tracks before opening this thread a few days ago :o*. I haven't listened to much Megadeth and Vulgar Display of Power is the only PanterA album I've properly listened to, but I can see how they'd be regarded as classics and I enjoyed returning to this thread to listen to them repeatedly while deliberating over which one to vote for.

They both struck me as top notch immediately. It was a battle between the sheer technicality and mindblowing riffage created by Holy Wars, and the more visceral impact of the vocal, melody and alternating tempo employed in Cemetery Gates. It was a tough one, and although I agree that Cemetary Gates has more soul, I voted for Holy Wars because those riffs are relentless and addictive. I prefer Anselmo's voice though.

*I guess I wouldn't qualify as much of a bona-fide 'metal head' (whatever that is) with that disclosure, but I do listen to quite a bit in the genre and I'm working on familiarizing myself with more of what would be regarded as the classics that lie therein.

(Oh, and I love The Smiths)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm going to give this to Pantera because even if Pantera lost we could still expect a gratuitous applause on the behalf of the band at the factious awards ceremony in my head

Mustaine, on the other hand, is like a spoilt child who just doesn't like anything that he's not directly responsible for or able to insist he deliberately created

How can you give it to the losing song?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Holy Wars, because despite what the op says, Cemetary Gates is not Panteras greatest song, though it is an excellent song.

Five Minutes Alone is Panteras best song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Holy Wars definitely. I also like Megadeth more than Pantera anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Between those i'd go cemetary gates. But just to clarify, again music taste is subjective, cemetary gates is FAR from pantera's best song.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Holy Wars, because despite what the op says, Cemetary Gates is not Panteras greatest song, though it is an excellent song.

Five Minutes Alone is Panteras best song :D

:D:D:D

Advertisement