Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man jumps willingly into bath of acid.

• 09-05-2012 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

This takes a person with real courage to do.
    A man jumped into a vat of acid to save a co-worker who fell in after crashing through the roof of a US factory.

Rob Nuckols acted after Martin Davis dropped into the vat, becoming fully submerged.
    Mr Nuckols was waist-high while he and others pulled Mr Davis out in New Jersey. The acid was used for cleaning metal tubing.

Rescuers cut Mr Davis out of his clothes and sprayed him with water to limit burns. He is critically ill in hospital.
    Mr Nuckols was treated for burns on his legs and abdomen.

Source: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/man-jumps-into-vat-of-acid-to-save-co-worker-550653.html#ixzz1uP7ayJNl

How many of us would do the same?
    I (being honest) would say I would seriously hesitate.

Fair play to the man for trying to save this friend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Don't know what I'd do in that circumstance, i'd like to say that i'd try to save him but unless I have something to protect me, I really don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sitting here now thinking about it, I wouldn't jump in.

In the heat of the moment, I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

that lad must have had some pair of balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't jump in because then there'd be two people that need to be rescued from a vat of acid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It really really depends on the type of acid. It could be a weak hydrochloric acid or a really strong hydrofluoric acid. They usually dont work instantaneously and you could have some time to wash it off before it starts working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

bitches be trippin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Biggins wrote: »

That's the acid test.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

"I'm disabled."
    "What kind of disabled?"
    "Leg disabled"
    "How did that happen?"
    "Acid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

should have had this stuff for treatment, water is absolutely useless in this kind of situation.

Diphoterine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I've read enough comics to know that given what happened Mr. Nuckols will become an even greater hero than any of us could imagine and Mr. Davis will repeatedly attempt world domination.

Mr. Davis will also kidnap Mr. Nuckols' girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

mikom wrote: »
    That's the acid test.......

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

If i had a gun I would have shot him to stop the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sitting here now thinking about it, I wouldn't jump in.

In the heat of the moment, I don't know

Sitting here now I'm thinking no fking way, but in the heat of the moment I'd probably have less time to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Seems a bit silly really, but then who knows what your instincts would tell ya in a situation like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Used work in a similar environment before and I used the acid to clean my willy, harmless stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

He's a superhero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭badabing106

I'd jump into a vat of acid for Georgia salpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Depends on how acidic, therefore how dangerous to me... but honestly most likely I'd stand there screaming; I'm useless in emergencies, I freeze and can't react at all.

• Advertisement

Depends on the person who fell in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

"I'm disabled."
    "What kind of disabled?"
    "Leg disabled"
    "How did that happen?"
    "Acid."

What are the chances of that happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Got acid splased in my face and eyes at work once- ran blind to the toilets to wash it off and it FECKIN HURT - could not see at all with my eyes streaming/burning so badly and have never forgotten it. I would not have jumped in. Some balls on yer man. What was the other clipe doing on a weak roof above a vat of acid???? I have been there when people have been trapped/crushed and at car crashes, so I know that in an emergency I do not freeze, I help, but there is a limit, and vats of acid are fairly high up on my "not going in there" list. I'd rather chance a burning building. There's somthing insidious and point blank "don't mess" about acid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That took balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd run away.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe think that one through a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pottler wrote: »
    Some balls on yer man.
    Past tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Think with your head, not with your penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Read this thread for some real good stories:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055742600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Think with your head, not with your penis.

I would have used my head and lowered down my penis to pull her out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Aw this is the one that reminded me of the OP. What a bint

David Allen Kirwan a 24-year-old attempted to rescue a friend's dog after it fell into Celestine Pool, a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park on July 20, 1981. Despite numerous shouts from bystanders, Kirwan dove headfirst into the pool but was unable to save the dog. After managing to swim back to shore, he was helped out of pool, where his injuries became apparent - the exposure to the 200oF (93oC) water of the hot spring resulted in third-degree burns to 100% of his body and had also blinded him. After being led to the sidewalk, Kirwan reportedly stated: "That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did." When one of Kirwan's shoes was removed, all of the skin came off with it. He died the next day at a Salt Lake City hospital. Although there have been at least 19 deaths due to scalding at the Yellowstone, this was the only known case where someone died after deliberately jumping into one of the park's hot springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Jaysus....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sincerely hope they both make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Where To wrote: »
    I'd run away.

Where to ?

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Aw this is the one that reminded me of the OP. What a bint

David Allen Kirwan a 24-year-old attempted to rescue a friend's dog after it fell into Celestine Pool, a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park on July 20, 1981. Despite numerous shouts from bystanders, Kirwan dove headfirst into the pool but was unable to save the dog. After managing to swim back to shore, he was helped out of pool, where his injuries became apparent - the exposure to the 200oF (93oC) water of the hot spring resulted in third-degree burns to 100% of his body and had also blinded him. After being led to the sidewalk, Kirwan reportedly stated: "That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did." When one of Kirwan's shoes was removed, all of the skin came off with it. He died the next day at a Salt Lake City hospital. Although there have been at least 19 deaths due to scalding at the Yellowstone, this was the only known case where someone died after deliberately jumping into one of the park's hot springs.
    My fella walked out over a frozen river to pull his dog out when it fell through the ice.... I still call him a retard, and it was a long time before I even met him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I suspect the man had some sort of protection on him, but obviously it wasn't designed for long term exposure. So, he took the risk in the hope he could get them both out very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My fella walked out over a frozen river to pull his dog out when it fell through the ice.... I still call him a retard, and it was a long time before I even met him.
    What a strange name for a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

I think the aderaline
    Kicks in and thats why he jumped in
    I think its called fight or flight instinct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There was this one guy who was burned by toxic waste acid and was then knocked down and decapitated and amazingly he made a full recovery and went on to be a doctor.

Here he is getting burned by acid.

Here he is as a fully recovered doctor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Source: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/man-jumps-into-vat-of-acid-to-save-co-worker-550653.html#ixzz1uP7ayJNl

Jump In ?
    Me Hole,
    Someone get a pole

but

would you have jumped in if it was your own moma ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Jump In ?
    Me Hole,
    Someone get a pole

That's a bit racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Seems a bit silly really, but then who knows what your instincts would tell ya in a situation like that.

Im going to go with. "whatever happens next dont get in you tit :confused: "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    would you have jumped in if it was your own moma ?

Absolutely not.

Your moma on the otherhand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I still calll him a retard
    Where To wrote: »
    What a strange name for a dog?

thats actually just an anagram of his name. its R Rated. anyone remember that one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Depends on who it was.

Family? yes
    Woman? yes
    Friends? real ones yes, acquaintances I'd try find a brush for them to grab onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Subway Superman Wesley Autrey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Autrey#cite_note-time100-1

"As Hollopeter lay on the tracks, Autrey saw the lights of an oncoming train. As one of the women held Autrey's daughters back away from the edge of the platform, Autrey dove onto the tracks. He thought he would be able to take Hollopeter off the tracks, but he realized there was not enough time to drag Hollopeter away. Instead, he protected Hollopeter by throwing himself over Hollopeter's body in a drainage trench between the tracks, where he held him down. Though the operator of the train applied the brakes, all but two cars still passed over them [...]."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I know some people who would film it and stick it on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

No, I wouldn't. Kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hotspring.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I presume the co-worker will get compensation because he fell in accidentally, but will the guy who jumped in willingly after him get the same?

Hope they both make it and that the damage isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

"I'm disabled."
    "What kind of disabled?"
    "Leg disabled"
    "How did that happen?"
    "Acid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement