Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man jumps willingly into bath of acid.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

No I wouldn't jump in and I hope I wouldn't do it in the heat of the moment either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It really really depends on the type of acid. It could be a weak hydrochloric acid or a really strong hydrofluoric acid. They usually dont work instantaneously and you could have some time to wash it off before it starts working.

Very salient point..

Anyone who thinks they would throw themselves into a vat of hydrofluoric acid need to have a word with themselves.

Though I'd probably rather find myself in a bath of acid than a bath of base. NaOH, Na2CO3...blind in 45 seconds. Acid you have chance to wash (except HF)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It really really depends on the type of acid. It could be a weak hydrochloric acid or a really strong hydrofluoric acid. They usually dont work instantaneously and you could have some time to wash it off before it starts working.
    dfx- wrote: »
    Very salient point..

Anyone who thinks they would throw themselves into a vat of hydrofluoric acid need to have a word with themselves.

Though I'd probably rather find myself in a bath of acid than a bath of base. NaOH, Na2CO3...blind in 45 seconds. Acid you have chance to wash (except HF)

Given that we might guess the brave man that jumped in after his friend was (hopefully) back out of the tank within a minute or two - if not less, looking at the reported effects to his skin in the brief news report
    Mr Nuckols was treated for burns on his legs and abdomen.
    ...It might be assumed that the acid was indeed of strong enough nature to burn itself away though the mans clothing and get to his skin considerably in that short time.
    This might indicate that indeed the acid was far from a weak nature on a Ph scale?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Definitely not a weak nature pH, but hydrofluoric acid (HF) is much more dangerous than for example sulphuric acid and then hydrochloric acid and nitric acid. All can give a pH of about zero.

70% HF melts glass because the fluorine is so aggressive that it breaks the glass bonds and forms a different compound..but 98% sulphuric acid can be held in glass containers and hydrochloric acid is in your stomach. All will burn skin, just one moreso and more aggressively than the other..

Advertisement