Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tie down Mx bike

• 09-05-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi, I am new to motocross, and am wondering what is the best and most secure way to tie down my bike. I have a single bike trailer, and I have been using a ratchet strap across the seat. But unfortunately my trailer has no springs, so it bounces on our great Irish roads, which causes the bike to fall over. Does anybody know of a fool proof way to tie a bike down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Really, really not sounding smart, but use more straps! As a sideline, I transport bikes for mates (and my own to trackdays) and I use about 5 straps. One on each handlebar, one across the seat, and two at the back, one left side, one right side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

With an offroad bike the amount of suspension travel makes it difficult to tie the forks down properly without overpressurising the forks and blowing seals.
    What I used to do was get a block of wood 4"x4" and cut it so it would just fit above the front tyre between the mudguard.
    This allowed me to put a tiedown on each bar and crank them right down until the forks compressed and the wood became trapped between the tyre and guard.
    Once this is done the front end becomes rigid and doesn't give as the trailer bounces.
    Makes for a very stable bike.
    You can buy plastic gizmos that do the same job but they aren't as cheap.
    Buy GOOD tiedowns, I use Ancra brand ones as they are by far the best.
    I've seen plenty of bikes go down the road and its always more expensive than buying good tiedowns first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Deminiman

Thanks for that, gonna invest in better straps, better safe than sorry. :)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What I used to do was get a block of wood 4"x4" and cut it so it would just fit above the front tyre between the mudguard.
    This allowed me to put a tiedown on each bar and crank them right down until the forks compressed and the wood became trapped between the tyre and guard.
    Once this is done the front end becomes rigid and doesn't give as the trailer bounces.

That's a really good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That's a really good idea!
    Works for all bikes not just offroad ones, and really helps with seal life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Deminiman

Dont this yesterday, bike didn't budge, am delighted with it.. Thanks a million for the advice!!! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭LK KID

With an offroad bike the amount of suspension travel makes it difficult to tie the forks down properly without overpressurising the forks and blowing seals.
    You can buy plastic gizmos that do the same job but they aren't as cheap.
    Buy GOOD tiedowns, I use Ancra brand ones as they are by far the best.
    I've seen plenty of bikes go down the road and its always more expensive than buying good tiedowns first day.
    where do you buy the tie downs from?
    i use allmoto,ccm,russells mx for most of my parts,do they sell good one?
    the block for the forks id good idea and lots of lads do it.dont bother buyin one just google plans for one and youd have it done in 20mins for less than a fiver.

LK KID wrote: »
    where do you buy the tie downs from?
    i use allmoto,ccm,russells mx for most of my parts,do they sell good one?
    the block for the forks id good idea and lots of lads do it.dont bother buyin one just google plans for one and youd have it done in 20mins for less than a fiver.

Four of my tie-downs I got in Dog's Box when it was open, so I'm guessing most bike shops have them. The other ones (proper ratchet straps) I got in a hardware store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

How I brought my Ducati 996 home from Sligo,when I bought it.:)

Lidl and Aldi have good quality heavy duty ratchet strap sets for not alot of euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I use full size ratchet straps from the motor factors/hardware, two on the front, one across the swingarm,

and I use 18inch cable ties to secure the wheels to the bottom of the trailer, might sound silly but it stops the initial movement on bumps that might allow left/right/up down movement and either loosen the straps or bounce the hook off the mounting point on the trailer.

Saw a lads bike come off the trailer and pass him out pulling up to a crossroads one day and that was enough for me to ensure the bike is tied down perfect every time.

paddy147 wrote: »
    How I brought my Ducati 996 home from Sligo,when I bought it.:)

LMAO!! Nice and warm too by the look of it!! :pac:
    paddy147 wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi have good quality heavy duty ratchet strap sets for not alot of euros.

Yep, have about 4 or 5 of them too. Pretty handy and inexpensive!

LMAO!! Nice and warm too by the look of it!! :pac:

Yep, have about 4 or 5 of them too. Pretty handy and inexpensive!

Yep,went to Sligo in the Transit Van early one morning,and brought her home later that afternoon.:)

Lovely bright sunny morning,and then it absolutely pi55ed rain in the afternoon on the way back home to Dublin.

Typical.:(

Advertisement