Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

siamese cat

• 09-05-2012 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I am new here. Just came accross this forum by accident. Does anyone know of any Traditional Siamese cat breeders in Ireland. I have been on the http://www.sabcci.com/actual_breeders page but there is only one breeder and they do the Contemperary Style Siamese (extreme wedge face).
    If anyone know you might PM me thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you tried maybe looking for a Thai cat breeder? They are very similar to the traditional siamese, they were the breed they were derived from as far as I know! I don't know of any breeders myself but I saw one at a cat show and thought it was stunning! www.tica.org - you might fins some more info here, they recognise more breeds than the gcffi! Best of luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Oscar16

Thank you, thats exactly what I am looking for. Just can't seem to find any breeders here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

None here I am afraid. There is a breeder in the Isle of man,I met her at a show in the uk earlier in the yr, there was also a Thai on exhibiton at the Supreme show in April from that cattery. I can pm ph no and cattery info if you wish.
    But they are rare and unrecognised in some groups so i dont know how much you would be talking.
    A snowshoe is a similar look to the apple head siamese, no breeders here again but I can recommend one from the uk. They originated from the Siamese and american shorthair. They can be colourpointed but preferabley have a white inverted V on the fave with white feet, colourpointed around the white.
    Let me know if you want the contact info on either!

a bit off topic but - oh how I would love a snowshoe :) From what I hear they are pretty few and far between though :(

I have one that I used to show but he doesn't like it unfortunately as he is a super quality one. Easy enough to get one from the uk but they are pricey due to the rarity of the breed. They ate not as in your face like the Siamese but highly intelligent and very chatty! And yes, very rare. I think 3 have been registered in Ireland, 2 not here anymore.

• Advertisement

Right, I will have the 4th registered one :D I remember getting a cat encyclopaedia when I was 8, saw the pictures of snowshoes and just knew that they were the cat for me! You are so lucky to have one, even if he doesn't show I hear they are very much 'people cats' and love the company of humans :) Have you any pics?

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

I don't know how much help this is, i.e how quickly you want to get this, but the two cat events I've been to this year have had lots of siamese cats and breeders at them who were extremely willing to discuss the breed with anyone who approached them.

Unfortunately I didn't get any breeder info as I'm not in the market for one myself, but if I were looking for one, I'd certainly start there.

There is one lady who breeds new style in Dublin. We might get 4 or 5 at a show, mostly bred by a breeder who no longer breeds them. A show is a good place to start, but a tica show will bring a lot from the uk with different breeds. Next one possibly nov/dec and you will prob find some Thai there.
    I'll see if I can locate a snowshoe pic without red eyes!
    They are odd characters, they do like their human slaves but not as needy as a siamese or oriental. They are so cute.

Thank you so much for the replys. If you can pm me with any names or numbers it would be much appreciated. I had a feeling that I might have to travel for one. I just don't like the extreme wedge look of the new Siamese.
    I have been told that the Bermese is very similer to the Siamese does anyone know anything about them. They seem to be more available but I have to say I do love the Siamese. I have seen some goegeous ones but they are in America. I am in no hurry either so willing to wait.

Right, I will have the 4th registered one :D I remember getting a cat encyclopaedia when I was 8, saw the pictures of snowshoes and just knew that they were the cat for me! You are so lucky to have one, even if he doesn't show I hear they are very much 'people cats' and love the company of humans :) Have you any pics?

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread :P

Hijack away love talking about cats :)

• Advertisement

3080266272_76f65e9b04_n.jpg

For SillyMangoX: My Mo Skiboot, aka a Snowshoe. They come from Siamese lines, mainly blue and seal. You can get colourpoint ones (no white), these are pet only and cannot be shown. They are quite similar to the traditional Siamese.

Oscar16 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the replys. If you can pm me with any names or numbers it would be much appreciated. I had a feeling that I might have to travel for one. I just don't like the extreme wedge look of the new Siamese.
    I have been told that the Bermese is very similer to the Siamese does anyone know anything about them. They seem to be more available but I have to say I do love the Siamese. I have seen some goegeous ones but they are in America. I am in no hurry either so willing to wait.

The Burmese are similar but not similar. They are athletic looking cats, not a round face like the traditional siamese but not as pointed as a new style. Nice short, tight coat like the siamese but a variety of different colours, ears smaller, profile not as straight.
    Personalities would be very very different so I would look into what you want personality wise. There are a few reputable Burm breeders in Ireland if you are interested in finding out their personalities.
    You sound like you know what you want tho so i would stick with gut. :-)

Oh my goodness!! What a beauty :D Thanks for the picture :) Right that's it, I'm getting me a snowshoe :D

Oh my goodness!! What a beauty :D Thanks for the picture :) Right that's it, I'm getting me a snowshoe :D

Lol, It took me ages to put that up, glad you like it.

So now you need a Sphynx to with the Snowshoe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Out of interest when people say Siamese cats are people cats and very chatty what does it mean in practical terms? What are they like to live with? I love the idea of a one-person cat who's very clingy and loyal to me and chatty, my own cats like that. But in practical terms do they suffer a lot from separation anxiety and would they be suited to someone who worked all day, or better suited to someone at home all day? What are they like in multi-cat households?

Not looking to get one in the foreseeable future, maybe in about 10-20 years time along with the other list of to-own pets!

I believe Siamese are one of the breeds prone to seperation anxiety. They are very human orientated and I imagine would suit a household that has someone home most of the day. Possibly a play buddy might keep that under control, it would depend on the individual cat I suppose.

The picture of the Snowshow is gorgeous. I am going to stick with the Siamese though. I have found 2 very good breeders in England. Have to decide which one to go with. One is in Suffolk and the other near Bristol. I know the one near Bristol would be better but I really like the one in Suffolk also.:) I am going to have to fly so I have to look into this. Does anyone know about flying with a Kitten. So much to do lol. It will be worth it though.

Are they Thai breeders or traditional Siamese?
    When I collected mo I flew to heathrow with bmi, the breeder lives near Coventry and drove down to the airport with mo, that was really helpful for me. Bmi take them in the hold, I think it was£7 per kilo. Worked out at about £35. Aer Arann fly pets too and they are apparently fantastic.
    Can you msg me with the breeders site? I'm always interested to know of breeders of unusual breeds. :-)

Advertisement