Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake nails advice please =]

• 09-05-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

hi guys =]!

I just want to know what peoples opinions are on fake nails, all the different types? the acyrlic nails, glue nails etc. which would be best to use do people think? =]

I would like to use them but wonder would it be a bad idea? do they damage your nails etc? it would only be every once in awhile?

I normally have long enough nails but have had to cut them as they went weak. I did wear fake nails before 3 weeks in a row for my debs and my boyfriends and friends grads and this wrecked my nails. so this is why I am slow to use them and looking for any advice people might have?

Thanks in advance guys =] <3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from tLL

Hey pinkyc,

This is the forum for queries/questions relating to fashion & appearance. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I personally hate fake nails and generally think they look ridiculous. Always keep my nails short because they just irritate me if they are any bit long.

Never worn fake nails in my life. I was actually the only girl at my debs that didn't get fake nails done :o

But that's just me!

Also, try the Beauty forum! Loads of topics about nails there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkyc

Thanks a million for replies guys!
    yeah i wore the shop bought ones for my debs everyone had the acrylic ones! I just love having longish nails (hate when people have them extremely long) but then thats only my opinion haha! thanks again guys =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Also, try the Beauty forum! Loads of topics about nails there.

Please don't tell the OP to go post in the Beauty forum - we often end up with duplicate threads. Instead please use the Report Post functionality to alert a mod so that it can be moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I think that acrylic look nicer when done right. However, I wouldn't put anything like that on my own nails. It really does wreck them.

• Advertisement

i think i will stay away from them so =]! whats your opinion on the fake onews you glue on? =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

They're not AS damaging as gels or acrylics. But they're still not great. The problem with them is getting them off. A lot of people tend to bite/pull them off and that wrecks your nails, and also soaking them in acetone will weaken them.

Why not just look after your nails, strengthen them up and you'll have great nails and not need fake ones. :)

yeah i think that is the best option, i would have loved long nails though (have a hen do and my holidays all in the next 3 weeks) ah well i'll get nice coloured nail varnish. and work with what ive got haha! thank you =]

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nowhere94

The ones in pennys for 1.50€ are graand.. they need a bit of a file but they lasted me 2 days, any glue was wiped off with nail varnish remover and nails are graand (: I've tried boots ones but they weren't half as good for 5 times the price :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Personally I think acrylic look nasty and cheap. They're really hard and thick and look the worst when they're growing out. Gel do look a bit better when done right, if you are getting natural/French polish you can actually see your own nail through them so they don't look AS fake. I used to get gel nails done for years, I always kept them short enough and people always asked why I bothered getting them, but I don't like them too long and I just was too lazy to do my nails myself :o My nails have never recovered, I think it's been nearly 3 years since I last had them on and my nails are still brittle.

I have had 3-week manicures done a few times since then (Shellac, Geleration, etc) and I find they look the best by far. They're not quite as durable but they're a lot more natural. However they don't add any length onto your own nails, and they don't really last 3 weeks, I was always lucky to get two out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I've used the package ones in the past. I loved them at first and would use them if I was going out or to an event etc. But after a while I just found that my nails becoming really bad and weak and unhealthy and so I stopped.
    I'd say go for it if you like but do not use them regularly. 2 years later and my nails are still very weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I used my first ever fake nails recently!
    They were just regular broadway french manicure ones.
    Not too impressed. Too fell off, and the rest were impossible to get off, almost destroyed my nails!
    Also, they were barely long enough to cover my own nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Anyone used these Broadway impress nails? http://impressmanicure.com/gallery/gallery-10/

The photos of the nails on their site look really badly photoshopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I have them Broadway Impress nails on atm... I wouldn't be too pushed buying them again. :/
    They're pretty and all, just the whole business of sticking on isn't happening, after a day like two have fallen off. :/ xD

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Get nail foils or nail wraps. Do not get gels or acrylics! I had mine done around Christmas and getting them off was traumatising. The whole surface of my nail was taken off too it was so painful, I could hardly touch anything for weeks. By the way a professional did the removal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

hi, i do acrylic nails myself and i would recommend acrylics if you are looking for lovely nails that will last you a few weeks,

as regards to wrecking your nails, if you apply cutical oil on your set of Gels/Acrylics every day you wear them, make sure you get them removed correctly and after words treat your nails,

you will have no problems :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Get nail foils or nail wraps. Do not get gels or acrylics! I had mine done around Christmas and getting them off was traumatising. The whole surface of my nail was taken off too it was so painful, I could hardly touch anything for weeks. By the way a professional did the removal!

Hi, gel or Acrylic nail removal is not supposed to be traumatising and not one bit painful, did you go back to the salon you had it done to complain that you couldn't touch anything for weeks as this shouldn't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

the georgina salpa ones are nice, very natural looking and plenty of sizes in the pack, they stayed on well and were easy enough to get off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I think your gel/acrylic experience entirely depends on the nail tech.

There are hundreds of "nail techs" out there whose training consisted of a weekend course, they use cheap poor quality equipment and offer cheap poor quality nails.

I go to the Nail Zone in Clerys and they are by no means the cheapest in Dublin but they are very very good. My nails are in BETTER condition now than they were before I got acrylics- the reason I got acrylics put on was to protect my nails which were sore and paper thin after I removed/tore off my own Shellac.

It's the same with hair extensions, you hear so many horror stories about people's hair being destroyed from them, why? They went to a "technician" who did a 1 day course and now calls themselves a professional. I wore a full head of extensions for over a year and my hair grew a solid 6 inches or so and was in the exact same condition as before. Again, I got what I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I have been getting gel overlays for a few months with no regrets. honestly, with how weak and brittle my natural nails are, they cant be any worse when i get them taken off (if ever!)

if i had good natural nails, then I would never get gels as id worry id wreck them but someone with crap nails has nothing to lose. i prefer to have neat nails all the time and nail polish would chip within hours on my natural nails and Shellac would only last a week.

@Magenta- what kind of extensions did you have and where did you get them/ who with? I'm tempted but worried about my hair! :s thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

CBFi wrote: »
    I have been getting gel overlays for a few months with no regrets. honestly, with how weak and brittle my natural nails are, they cant be any worse when i get them taken off (if ever!)

if i had good natural nails, then I would never get gels as id worry id wreck them but someone with crap nails has nothing to lose. i prefer to have neat nails all the time and nail polish would chip within hours on my natural nails and Shellac would only last a week.

@Magenta- what kind of extensions did you have and where did you get them/ who with? I'm tempted but worried about my hair! :s thanks!

Hi, my extensions were from Issonni! Not the cheapest but the technician is a true pro and the hair she used was beautiful quality.
    The application was also excellent, with extensions it's all about placement.

Advertisement