Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance dispute.

Options
  • 09-05-2012 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

It has just come to my attention that my previous Insurer have been making monthly direct debts from my bank account for a policy I didn't request or authorise. I had been insured with them the previous year but cancelled my policy as I had gotten a more suitable policy with a different insurer. Please advise me now how to go about getting a full refund of money withdrawn from my account. I have been in touch with the insurer and pointed out their mistake and requested a full refund as I didn't request insurance with them and received no further correspondence after I had informed them I would not be renewing my policy with them. Please advise me as to what course of action I should take to obtain my refund. I have also informed them that I hadn't received an insurance disk from them and if I had I would have cancelled said policy..

Thanks for any help regarding this matter.

Regards Davy2742.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

personally i would call the insurance company tomorrow and discuss the situation and see what resolution they can offer on the phone. i'd do this before looking at other avenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Davy2742

They informed me that I should request a "dual insurance form" from my current insurer and both of them would refund 50% total 100%! My current insurer had never heard of this policy and inquired why would they pay me back 50% of money they never received as it was not them who took the money from my account!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

How did you cancel your policy?

If you pay by DD your policy usually automatically renews unless you contact them.

I had cancelled by phone after informing them that I had gotten I better quote. I was checking with them to see if they could do better or at least come down in price as I was quite happy with them. After they informed me that they could not do better I informed them that I would not be renewing my policy. I had paid that previous year by direct debt. I wasn't aware that it is an automatic renewal on direct debts. I did not receive an insurance disk from them last year though stating that I was covered by them.

call is probably be recorded so you could try and ask for a transcript which should set it straight.

if you remember date and time will help find it.

• Advertisement

I would have been around this time last year as that's when my car insurance is due. Thanks for you help regarding this, it much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Sounds fair enough, you rang them and cancelled and they shouldnt be taking money.

Dont be fobbed off by whatever this dual insurance thing is. Tell them they arent getting money for a service you didnt ask for. I would immediately tell them you want a formal complaint to be started and also let them know you have been onto the IPSO about them taking payments with no mandate to do so.

could be a simple problem as person forgot to do it.

no need to go off the handle until all the facts are collected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Davy2742 wrote: »
    They informed me that I should request a "dual insurance form" from my current insurer and both of them would refund 50% total 100%! My current insurer had never heard of this policy and inquired why would they pay me back 50% of money they never received as it was not them who took the money from my account!

Standard practice when there is duplicate insurance is for both insurers to refund 50% of the money you paid them. This is providing the risk is the same on each policy i.e. same car, value, drivers, cover.

Advertisement