Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography sample answer...SRPs?!

• 09-05-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, here is an answer I did in geography. Just as a matter of interest, count how many SRPs you think are included in it, then I'll say how much my teacher gave me! :)

Question: Examine with reference to Ireland, the formation of sedimentary rocks.

Sedimentary rocks are formed on or near the surface of the earth. They develop in layers called strata as the sediments are deposited over time and at different rates. Successive layers of strata are separated by bedding planes. These particles are later converted into solid rock by the process of lithification. Sedimentary rocks are generally divided into 2 categories :

Inorganic sedimentary rocks which were formed from sediments being broken down by weathering and the erosion of pre-existing rocks e.g. sandstone.

Organic sedimentary rocks were formed with sediments from once living organisms e.g. limestone.

Sandstone
    Sandstone is the second most common rock found in Ireland. It consists of grains of sand which were deposited on land or in shallow seas and lithified over a period of time. It is a stratified rock. Old Red Sandstone (ORS) has a brown-red/ purple colour as it was formed with particles of non rusting over time. ORS was laid down 400 million years ago when Ireland had a desert climate and the Caledonian Fold Mountains were being weathered and eroded.
    Flash floods caused large quantities of sediments to be transported and later deposited on the bed of a shallow sea. These sediments were later deposited as flood plains and deltas and were lithified over time e.g. Galtees Mountains, Co Tipperary.

Limestone
    Limestone is the most common rock type in Ireland. It is found in all 32 counties bar Wicklow. It is composed almost entirely of calcium carbonate. Pure limestone is white in colour but impurities such as clay, sand and carbon can give it a grey and black colour. It is a stratified rock, laid down on the bed of a warm, clear, shallow sea. It is formed from the skeleton remains of marine creatures such as fish. Over a period of time these sediments were deposited before being later compressed and eventually cemented. This occurred over 350 million years ago when Ireland had a tropical location. There are many types of limestone rock including carboniferous, chalk and dolomite. Carboniferous is hard and grey, made up of at least 50% calcium carbonate. It is a well jointed rock and produces distinctive “karst” regions. E.g. Burren, Co.Clare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

By any chance is there around 24 SRP'S in the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

2 named rocks: 2m +2m
    2 named examples/locations: 2m +2m
    SRPs: 11 x 2m
    = 30/30
    (but you have about 6 surplus SRPs)
    Bearing in mind I'm not a teacher I just based my marking on the way I've seen them being corrected by my teacher, mocks corrected, another geo teacher...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

26/28 at min. (I'm a student)

Though if I were you I would define lithification(the definition will prob. get you another SRP) and you said sedimentary rock is stratified so don't waste time repeating it again for your 2 rocks....repetition is worth nothing, it wastes time and it gives a bad impression if you are repeating a phrase again at the start of the sentence.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Right... well my teacher gave me 30/30 in this question...I had 17 SRPs, at 2 marks each, with 2 of them SRPs(2m+2m) for naming each rock and 2 other SRPs(2m+2m) for examples so basically 13 SRPs otherwise. Just thought I would ask for opinions as sometimes I feel everyone can see different amounts of SRPs in answers!
    Do you think my teacher corrected this fairly or perhaps is marking them hard to make sure that if anything I end up having an SRP surplus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Hi, here is an answer I did in geography. Just as a matter of interest, count how many SRPs you think are included in it, then I'll say how much my teacher gave me! :)

Question: Examine with reference to Ireland, the formation of sedimentary rocks.

1.Sedimentary rocks are formed on or near the surface of the earth. They develop in layers called strata as the sediments are deposited over time and at different rates.

2. Successive layers of strata are separated by bedding planes. These particles are later converted into solid rock by the process of lithification. Sedimentary rocks are generally divided into 2 categories :

3. Inorganic sedimentary rocks which were formed from sediments being broken down by weathering and the erosion of pre-existing rocks e.g. sandstone.

4. Organic sedimentary rocks were formed with sediments from once living organisms e.g. limestone.

Sandstone
    5.Sandstone is the second most common rock found in Ireland. It consists of grains of sand which were deposited on land or in shallow seas and lithified over a period of time. It is a stratified rock.

6.Old Red Sandstone (ORS) has a brown-red/ purple colour as it was formed with particles of non rusting over time.

7.ORS was laid down 400 million years ago when Ireland had a desert climate and the Caledonian Fold Mountains were being weathered and eroded.

8.Flash floods caused large quantities of sediments to be transported and later deposited on the bed of a shallow sea.

9.These sediments were later deposited as flood plains and deltas and were lithified over time

10. e.g. Galtees Mountains, Co Tipperary.

Limestone
    11. Limestone is the most common rock type in Ireland. It is found in all 32 counties bar Wicklow.

12. It is composed almost entirely of calcium carbonate. Pure limestone is white in colour but impurities such as clay, sand and carbon can give it a grey and black colour.It is a stratified rock,

13. laid down on the bed of a warm, clear, shallow sea. It is formed from the skeleton remains of marine creatures such as fish. Over a period of time these sediments were deposited before being later compressed and eventually cemented.

14. This occurred over 350 million years ago when Ireland had a tropical location.

15.There are many types of limestone rock including carboniferous, chalk and dolomite.

16.Carboniferous is hard and grey, made up of at least 50% calcium carbonate. It is a well jointed rock and produces

17.distinctive “karst” regions. E.g. Burren, Co.Clare.

Hey if I wrote this, this is what I would have given myself, but i'm only a student and tend to go a bit harsh on myself intentionally when it comes to SRPs.

If you managed to write all this out you'd definitely get the 30 marks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I had 17 SRPs

Back o' the net :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Right... well my teacher gave me 30/30 in this question...I had 17 SRPs, at 2 marks each, with 2 of them SRPs(2m+2m) for naming each rock and 2 other SRPs(2m+2m) for examples so basically 13 SRPs otherwise. Just thought I would ask for opinions as sometimes I feel everyone can see different amounts of SRPs in answers!
    Do you think my teacher corrected this fairly or perhaps is marking them hard to make sure that if anything I end up having an SRP surplus?

I would have said a lot more than 17, so maybe.
    But it's not a bad thing, every examiner will have a different idea of an SRP.
    Id say 18 for each Q would be a safe bet :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You are only wasting your time (and the examiner's) having WAY over the number of SRPs needed.

Advertisement